Tucked Tail

I'm just wondering: so often one sees photos of greyhounds (whippets and IGs, too), f.e. the winners at races, or at breed shows, with a tail that's tucked very deeply between their hind legs. I've never seen this on photos on GT, nor does my grey do it or any other grey I've ever seen. I always assumed a tucked tail like that means that the dog is scared or very uncomfortable. Is that the case, or are they "trained" to stand like that (if one can train such a thing)?

My little preadopted pup Do Bee would have his tail tucked up between his legs so far that it almost touched his tummy in the post parade before he ran. He was new to the track and getting used to it. Now two years later, his tail is nice and relaxed when he stands in the post parade before a race.

A lot of shy greyhounds will tuck their tails until they feel comfortable in certain circumstances. That usually goes away once they adjust to whatever situation makes them uncomfortable unless you have a real spook.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've noticed a lot of IGs and whippets that stand with their tails like that and just assumed that was sort of normal for the breeds, kind of like how husky type breeds almost always have their tails curled over their backs. Will be interested to hear what more experienced members have to say about this. I have only ever seen my grey's tail between his legs once, and that was a few weekends back when there were fireworks.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Lgyure85

I work at a pet store and we see quite a few iggys. I have seen exactly two that didn't have their tail tucked and they were the only out-going ones of the bunch. Most iggys (from my experience) and incredibly shy and afraid of EVERYTHING. The tucked tail (once again, from my experience) is very much due to nervousness, and insecurity. Cute little buggers, but not terribly social.

One of the hounds I follow racing clamps her tail down pretty hard right before a race, but I have it on good authority this gal is as far from timid as you can get.

I assume she's just very intensely focused on the task at hand and is sort of all coiled up, like a spring!

Typically when a dog clamps its tail it indicates fear.

As I recall my horse used to clamp her tail right before she tried to kick you!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

Most iggys (from my experience) and incredibly shy and afraid of EVERYTHING. The tucked tail (once again, from my experience) is very much due to nervousness, and insecurity. Cute little buggers, but not terribly social.

Not at all with our two and not with a well bred IG, provided the dog hasn't been mishandled. My show bred IG is personality plus and couldn't be more social. Our mill rescue boy came to us terrified of people and is now a social butterfly. He is a bit cautious in crowds, but really warms up and hams it up after a few minutes with new folks. In most respects, they're way more social with strangers than the greyhounds.

Guest jenznaz

Xilo has a weird habit of tucking his tail up under when you're giving him affection! He'll walk up to you and bury his head in your arm, then you start rubbing him, and the tail goes right up under. Every Meet & Greet we go to I have to hear, "Oh! He's scared!" but I guess that's just how he is? :dunno

Greta's tail:

Major tuck: "I am one unhappy pup!" or "That's the itch, don't stop!"

Tucked a little: "You [meaning me] can be in charge here, thanks."

Straight down: "I am totally mellow."

Curved up a little: "This is good/I'm stimulated!"

Curled over her back: "I am totally hyper now/watch out!"

Having worked a little with show/racing Whippets, IME, the tail carriage is just naturally where the tail is carried. It is not necessarily tucked, nor is the dog fearful. Those I have worked with/interacted with are some of the most well-adjusted, outgoing dogs I have met. I do not, however, have much experience with IGs.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.