Interesting Behavior - Covering Poop

My newest girl, Joey, has an interesting behavior that I haven't seen before. She covers any poop that is in the yard with dirt. She pushes the dirt over it with her nose.

I pick up the poop in the yard every morning, so any that she finds hasn't been there that long (I have her and two other greyhounds). Has anyone else had a grey who has done this? It's definitely better than poop-eating! But I'm curious as to why she does this.

Pat

Rocket will cover it by kicking up dirt with his back legs - but I haven't decided if this is actually covering it, or more of a "I just took a good poop happy dance..."

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Samlur scratches the dirt with one paw and then poops. These dogs sure have some catlike behaviours.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

This is too funny - our Merlin covers his *pee* in the yard the exact same way :lol. Because our yard wasn't fully fenced when we first brought him home, he got accustomed to being leash-walked for all potty breaks. As a result, he generally won't pee in the yard (and absolutely refuses to poop there :rolleyes:), but on the rare occasions when he does, he'll pee in the mulched garden area and then use his nose to cover the pee with dirt.

We recently had a foster girl who was used to going in the yard. She'd pee, so he would of course have to pee over her spot, and then would cover the area up with dirt. Interestingly, he never covered up her poop that way. Just his own pee, and only in the yard. Outside our yard, he'll sometimes paw the ground to leave his scent but never does the "cover it up with his nose" thing. I'm curious too as to why they might do this!

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Prior to adopting greys, we had Bostons and Cockers. All three of those dogs covered. They just scratched at the grass and covered it. However, my greys have never done that. At first, I thought that was strange. Now, I am just used to it. Ha!Ha!

Guest RichardUK

Not noticed greyhounds covering it up with their noses - but many scratch over the area - I believe it is to scatter the scent and remains over a much wider area for territorial marking.

It's interesting to hear all these variations on poop covering. These guys sure are inventive!

Joey does cover it with her nose - not with her feet and scratching - moves the dirt with her nose and completely covers the poop. The first time I saw her do it, I couldn't believe it as I've never had a dog do it that way before.

Guest MyCody

JJ covers poop with her nose and Leah has to pee on top of anyone else's "puddle", we don't know where it all comes from when our friends visit with their two greys and they all go out but she lines up behind each one and "tops them off"

Guest BrianRke

I recently read a great book which talks about this subject in depth. Its called, INSIDE OF A DOG, by Alexandra Horowitz. Its a very informative book.

Guest betheab199

JJ covers poop with her nose and Leah has to pee on top of anyone else's "puddle", we don't know where it all comes from when our friends visit with their two greys and they all go out but she lines up behind each one and "tops them off"

Leah is scent-marking. I have a Leah too, but she is a girl and not a greyhound :colgate

A friend just gave me this book. I haven't read it yet, but definitely will now. Thanks.

I recently read a great book which talks about this subject in depth. Its called, INSIDE OF A DOG, by Alexandra Horowitz. Its a very informative book.