Duke Aka M's Texas Arne

Guest Gideon

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Duke.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gideon

Thanks everybody. I can't stop crying. My wife, I and Duke were extremely bonded. Helping to shepherd him was an honor and privilege for us but it is so empty in the house without him. Even with Tankala and the silly cat here, there's just a huge void here and I can't honestly say that it feels like home right now.

post-2972-0-46587000-1305810234_thumb.jpg

That is a horrible feeling, I know. My heart goes out to you.

{{{{{{{{{{Gideon and family}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gideon do you have any more Duke videos that you can post? I always like his videos. The other ones, with True and Carolyn in Brooklyn were fun.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Gideon

I have a lot. I even have one or two from that meetup we did in that little park by the brooklyn navy yard. I think you were there.

I'll dig them out of my hard drive and post when I can.

Out of all the greyhounds I have met, and thats a lot, Loca came closest to Duke in psyche. Very rare.

I miscalculated how much sun light we had while on a hike in the white mountains. We were on a trail which had been a timber rail line and all the ties were still in place. I couldn't see them and kept tripping. Duke would always run ahead of us on trails checking out what was ahead and "report" back to us. He figured out I couldn't see well, brought me down to the ravine next to the trail where he had been poking around and, after an hour of hiking in the dark, got us back to the car. He was that kind of dog and very rare for a greyhound.

Guest Gideon

And Duke and True really cared for each other. Her owner left without saying goodbye and Duke would stop at the gate to their building and then pull us to the step looking for them. Every single day for the rest of the time we lived in that neighborhood.

I especially loved cool Duke with music :).

You're right about Duke and Loca. I'll never forget when you posted his reaction when you proposed to your wife :lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Gideon

Robin, I don't remember the post with his reaction... Can you tell me what happened? We were walking with him when I asked.

I'm so very sorry! :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Gideon, I'm so sorry. I saw Duke's name here and said, "oh, no, not THAT Duke." Alas :cry1 I know his loss must be immense. :grouphug I loved the video of him stealing the stick :wub:

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Run free, sweet Duke.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Gideon

i'd also like to thank the vet who helped at NGAP but also make a kind recommendation to the gentleman who runs the organization:

leave the work to the vets and get off your soapbox. do not interject your opinions or observations unless you are directly capable of addressing the issue or fixing something. what you did to my wife and to me was reprehensible nevermind the anxiety and hostility our duke felt in his last moments. you made me think that there was another option and you tried to say that he might have had a heart issue evidenced by his panting. his panting was anxiety and your attitude didn't help him in his last moments. and... you had absolutely no qualifications to make that assertion. my wife should not have had to ask you to leave us be.

the only reasons i didn't escalate with you was that duke was so scared and i just wanted to comfort him and that i respect the overall work you do for these dogs. you really should get out of the vet clinic and apply your skills in another area of the organization.

I will continue to bring my other dog to ngap but would deeply appreciate it if you would keep a respectful distance from us.

If anybody would like specifics pm me and I'll fill you in.

Edited by Gideon