Phene Rear End Update, R/o Osteo

Phene went to the vet today for x-rays and further examination of his recent escalation of problems with his rear right leg. Some of the x-rays were suggestive of degenerative arthritis, while there was some unexplainable stuff that the vet hopes isn't osteo. He is sending the x-rays to OSU for further examination.

If it's arthritis (please keep your fingers and toes crossed), we will probably start using Adequan. Has anybody had any experience with it? Is it difficult to inject? Were the results of it's use positive?

Thanks

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, I didn't know Phene was having troubles with his leg. I dearly hope it's just arthritis. No experience with Adequan.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

B9-B9-B9-B9-B9...................... Everything crossed that it is just arthritis. Will be watching for the good news when it is posted. :candle:candle:candle:candle:candle:candle:candle

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

:candle No Osteo!

Sugar had Adequan shots for a degenerative spinal condition, and they helped for awhile, but became less effective over time. What helped her the most was acupuncture. It took about a month to see the full effect, but after that, it kept her mobile until I lost her to kidney failure at 12 1/2.

Guest jettcricket

Robin...sending good thoughts to your most handsome boy. Please update as soon as you can!!!

No advice, Robin, but I'm praying it's NOT osteo. :hope

X 2.

grouphug.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Sending Hugs, Prayers and Hugs

Hoping its arthritis

You could PM Josie, Tuffy had injections.

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

No osteo Robin!

No experience with Adequan but there may be other meds / combinations that would work, and in addition as some have mentioned, gentle chiropractic and / or acupuncture.

Rickie has arthritis in his left front leg, and for what it's worth, my vet said that research is showing that a lot of pain meds are aimed at reducing short term pain due to a trauma, for example. With chronic pain (and I am going to get this technically wrong but hopefully convey the idea) the pain transmission sort of rewires itself such that the standard pain meds become less effective. He mentioned a name for this which I have forgotten. The treatment approach is to combine meds, and, assuming they work, see after a period of time, if two will work alone if one is withdrawn. Rickie is just starting a combination of Metacam, Tramadol and Amantadine, which I think is similar to Gabapentin (a nerve blocking agent). We will withdraw the Amantadine in 3 weeks and see how things go.

We will check his bloodwork every 3 months to ensure we catch any organ issues early, and I think I'll pick up some milk thistle for his liver in the next day or so.

Fingers crossed for Phene!

Haven't used it personally but have known several people who did (for their dogs). No noteworthy side effects. IIRC it usually takes 2-3 injections to see results.

P.S. Really hope just "old dog bones" changes for Phene.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thinking good thoughts for Phene. Give him an extra kiss on his noggin from us.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Its so very hard, this waiting.....My prayers are with you always.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

No advice, Robin, but I'm praying it's not osteo too.

Let us know how your sweet boy is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:goodluck that it's not osteo!

Neyla had a few adequan injections way back. I don't think we used them long enough to see an effect, we did 3 or 4. They're not difficult to give.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."