Ruby Just Can't Get A Break

On Saturday I noticed a 'swelling' under Ruby's tongue. My husband said don't worry about it, maybe she got a bee sting or something...but by Sunday it was still swelled up. So far it's not interfering with her eating, but it looks horrible, and NOT normal.

So this morning I Googled "lump under dog's tongue" and came up with a salivary mucocele, or ranula. It really looks like that could be what it is, and it said they can be caused by trauma. Makes sense.

Anyway, Ruby is seeing her vet tomorrow morning. I just hope they can treat this medically, NOT surgically. She has been through enough already!!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Many well wishes....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

A friend's dog had a damaged mucosele. I don't think they needed to do any treatment. If I remember correctly the swelling remained almost unchanged for several weeks and then started to go down. The vet mentioned the possibility of surgery if it did not heal in a reasonable length of time. That was not necessary though. It just healed on its own over time.

Hoping that that says this is just something minor.

Ruby saw the vet today, and she (the vet) could not believe poor Ruby had yet another problem. :(

She said Ruby does, indeed, have a mucocele, or ruptured salivary duct (gland?). She tried draining it, but Ruby would not hold still (can't blame her there!). Anyway, she said it would probably just fill up again even if she did drain it.

Two things are in Ruby's favor: it's on the side of her mouth, not near the back--near the back, it could obstruct her breathing. Also, she doesn't have any teeth on the bottom, on that side (at least no teeth where the mucocele is), so she won't be biting it.

Dr. B said to give it 'several weeks', that they will often resolve on their own. If it suddenly gets a lot worse, then surgery would be indicated--but Dr. B also said surgery does not usually solve the problem, and is 'a real bloody mess'.

So that was a good visit--nothing major to worry about, just keep an eye on it; hold off on hard treats for awhile, too.

AND....Ruby is now 55.6 pounds!! :yay: She's gone from 61 pounds before her accident, to 52.4, now up to 55.6!! GREAT news!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

That sounds pretty good all around. Poor Ruby - I think she needs more ice cream. chow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis