Abscess On The Tooth Root

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

Wednesday May 18

So Sadie just had her first poop since the surgery (at least that I have observed) and it was very loose/diarrhea-like.

I'm not worried at this point. She's on tramadol which is known to cause upset stomachs, antibiotics which cause diarrhea, etc...

I am wondering if it's a normal side effect of anesthesia as well?

Thanks!

Due to circumstances beyond my control I didn't get to talk to the vet as much as I wanted to.

Sadie seems to have an abscess on her premolar on the left side. She's got a lump on her jaw and needs to have the tooth removed.

She had a dental about a month or so ago, which I assume is responsible for the abscess.

I hate to put her under again if I can avoid it.

Any thoughts or experience?

Btw, I know this stuff happens and I still trust the vet who did the dental. I am calling him in the morning as he's not our 'normal' vet.

Oh and good thoughts for Sadie would be appreciated!

Edited by BlackandBrindle

Guest BiancasMom

You could try antibiotics first, but in my experience with tooth root abscesses, you end up having to pull the tooth.

Needs to be extracted. Your vet may want to perform a couple of skull/dental radiographs before the extraction. I assume your vet already has her on an antibotic like antirobe? Tramadol might not be a bad idea here too-- gotta hurt.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I'm guessing your vet didn't do dental x-rays before he did the last dental. Most vets don't/can't. My guess is the abscess was already starting before the dental and x-rays would have caught it. It's not something a dental would CAUSE though.

Hopefully the vet has her on antibiotics and pain killers for now and that tooth needs to come out ASAP. I would suggest finding somewhere that can do dental x-rays so you can catch any more before they surprise you!

Guest BlackandBrindle

She is on antibiotics and pain meds. I'm just waiting on an estimate from my vet to see if she'll get it pulled here or in Phoenix.

The lump has gone down by half and she's eating normally/has a lot of pep. I've been giving her tramadol as well as Clindamycin/Antirobe.

Whatever happens, it's coming out in the next two days I guess. I just hate to put her under again...

Sadie :bighug

I am going through this right now with one of my cats. Ethel had a dental a couple of weeks ago, and lost four teeth. Last week, an abcess popped up under her chin. We are trying antibiotics and she is clearly feeling better, but I am afraid the tooth (the last one on that side) will have to come out. I don't want her to go under again so soon, but I guess we'll have to :(

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh Jan that sucks!

Having had an abscess myself I know that antibiotics very rarely cure the problem, they just buy you some time. :(

I hope Ethel comes through with no issues!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Okay, we're going with my vet (who hasn't had to do anything major to my pups so I am SUPER NERVOUS).

Taking her in tomorrow morning. Everyone think good thoughts for my baby girl please. In my mind, the worry is 1000x worse than it was for her dental because I have more idea what to expect.

Thanks everyone!

Lizzie had exactly the same thing about a month ago. She had a dental back in November (w/ xrays) and ended up with 11 less teeth which we knew was coming....she has miserable teeth. I noticed her getting picky about eating around the first of April and then saw the swelling about a week later. The vet put her antibiotics for a week to knock down the infection, along with some pain meds, and then out came the bad tooth plus two more. There was a little more bleeding with this one (just the first night) but within a day or two she was eating like a champ. She felt so much better.

Good thoughts for Sadie tomorrow coming from us.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Fingers crossed for an easy time of it!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending good thoughts for Sadie!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

We are now home and she's sleeping the sleep of angels. :) Between the anesthesia and the pain meds they gave her, I expect to have a relatively quiet night.

Thanks again!

Ah, wonderful news!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.