Oh No, I Think Beth Broke Her Toe

If you've got some bag balm or Vaseline, you can rub that on the area between her toes (as long as it's just irritated, not an open wound...for something open I'd go with neosporin).

It's funny how adaptable they are. Ive seen broken leg pups wearing big heavy wraps just take off running on three legs :lol They really get around well!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending good healing thoughts for Beth. It sounds like it's painful for the poor girl. Hopefully the vet has some encouraging words this morning.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We saw the vet this morning (another vet in the practice, but I think I like her). She said Beth's injury looks better overall, thought the swelling wasn't bad at all (it does look a little better this morning). Beth used her foot more when we did a potty walk before the appointment, though she still three-legged to pick up speed in order to poop, which is how she always does it. But seeing her use the foot some helped reassure me that she will eventually heal and walk normally again.

However, the abrasion between Beth's toes is much more raw and angry than it was a day ago -- Beth licked it some yesterday before I realized she was doing it and put a toddler sock on. So now Beth is on oral antibiotics (Simplicef, apparently targeted to skin infections) and topical -- it's not infected yet but it easily could be. The problem is that it hurts too much to pull her toes apart to get the antibiotic in very readily, even though the vet gave me thin sterile swabs (she could sort of do it with me holding Beth, but I'm alone at home, and very nervous). I might have to just squeeze some as close as I can get in the toe opening before a walk and hope for the best.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

How is the swelling this evening? If you have a petroleum- or glycerine-based salve (something like Vaseline or Bag Balm), you might not need to poke it down in between. Smear some along the line between the two toes, and as her body heat warms it up, it'll seep down between.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom-- the antibiotic (Muciprocin) is petroleum-based (or appears so) and I've been doing pretty much what you suggested, and putting it on before I take her out to potty so it can "melt" downwards between her toes while she's upright. I've been managing to get it into the crack a little, though.

Sunday morning update: Definite signs of improvement! Almost no swelling in the foot this morning before she got up--I was actually shocked at how much better it looked--and the raw area looks a little less red. She's using the foot more when she walks, too. Unfortunately we walked out about a block and a half because she seemed to want to (and she needs to cover some ground to poop, there are no two ways around it for her), but then on the way back you could tell her foot was hurting, and she kept sitting down. :unsure But still, encouraging overall.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Glad she is better! Hopefully in a few days she'll be much more comfortable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.