Where Can I Buy L-Glutamine?

I did google it, but do not know which brands are good. This is a product I am not familiar with at all. I did find an article saying you should buy from a vet, but it was written by a vet so I did not put much stock into him saying to buy it from a vet..LOL Thanks, Nan

You can find it in any supplement store like GNC. Since it's a supplement body builders use, it won't be hard to find. I bought it for Neyla and just bought the store brand b/c it appeared to be the least expensive. I actually never ended up using it, but it's so inexpensive it wouldn't be worth the price of shipping to send it to you or I would. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Twinlab is good, and I get it at my local, independent pharmacy which also carries a lot of vitamins and holistic stuff. Now Sports is another brand I've gotten, and it seems to be okay. We started with 500 mg/day, and I frankly think Spencer does best on that. But his internist says that's the amount she gives to *cats* and that I should give 1,000. So now we're doing that.

If you want it locally, you might let your fingers do the walking to find out who has it.

ETA: I Googled "Twinlab L-glutamine" and it showed places both online and in my area who carry it. Seems to be *much* cheaper online. And the more I think on it, the more I think Spencer does better with 500 mg than with 1,000. Maybe this is one of the ways that greyhounds are like cats. :rolleyes: In any case, if I were you, I'd start slow with 500 mg and then increase later if you think you want to.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Start with lower dose. If it works well stick with that. If there are no adverse effects then you can decide whether you want to increase or not. I've not tried it for IBD/IBS but have used it with a couple of dogs. It had no obvious effect on them but trying it was sort of a stab in the dark anyway.

It had an adverse effect on one of my dogs BUT he had a polyneuropathy. For some unknown reason, l-glutamine exacerbated the weakness &/or myalgia that accompanied his disease. To date, he is the only dog I have ever heard of who had this problem.

ETA: Gee, maybe I could also answer the question. You can find it at chain pharmacies like Walgreens. I get most supplements online. There are many reputable sellers but I most frequently use iHerb.com Brands I've had good luck with are Country Life, Jarrow, Source & Now. (Have heard some express the opinion that Now is lower quality. :dunno )

Edited by kudzu

Have you thought about doing it the natural way with herbs? Only reason I mention this is I am starting my afghan on The Honest Kitchen Perfect Form supplement. Check out their website under supplements and blogs. They highly recommend this supplement for IBD situations. Also checked it out at the place where I buy the dog food and they sell a lot it but were out of it. You could even send an email to someone at The Honest Kitchen and ask them about the treatment of IBD.

Forgot to mention that I buy most of the supplements for me and pets through Amazon or Vitacost. Love love Vitacost, prices and they ship fast too.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Actually, L Glutamine is the natural way :)

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)