Raw Eaters & Fleas

I've ben told that one of the (many) perks of feeding raw is that fleas do not seem to be attracted to the dogs anymore. Has anyone experienced this? We have been having flea weather here and neither one of my two have any signs of them. Is this an amazing and miraculous benefit to feeding raw?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest manawatugal

Gosh I hope so because I am now feeding raw and my dog was flea treated just before we got him 9 weeks ago and I don't believe in medicating animals unless there is a problem to be seen. I won't just do it every 3 months as 'they' recommend, plus we are going into winter here so hopefully not a problem.

No connection. Flea biology doesn't work that way, alas.

Probably just a good (or late) flea season in your locale.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I feed raw and have no idea about the connection. However, I haven't had a flea on the dogs for over 4 years. Hope I didn't just jinx myself! But, the cats don't have any either and I don't treat them unless necessary. I just wish there was a connection for ticks.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

What prompted this was, aside from having no fleas on my dogs at this point, the woman who is my raw feeding mentor told me that she started feeding raw when she lived in the deep south (swampy, stewy, hot and humid). After she started feeding her dogs raw down there she never once saw a flea on any of her dogs again. This was something like 15+ years ago. She lives here in SoCal now and continues to have he same experience. She hasn't had to treat any of her dogs in over 15 years. Seems like more is at work than a light flea season!

Looking for more first hand experience with this!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest FullMetalFrank

We don't feed strictly raw (and in fact have had to cut way back on the raw in general due to budget constraints) but we have also had extraordinarily good luck with fleas even when others around us are having a "bad year". I think, though, to be honest, that it might be more connected to the amount of time my dogs spend inside vs. outside and our meticulous inspection of them on a regular basis. I am always going over them, especially my little athelete girls, looking for any boo boo's, soreness, etc. and if there is ever a flea it gets picked off immediately! :)

Guest Swifthounds

What prompted this was, aside from having no fleas on my dogs at this point, the woman who is my raw feeding mentor told me that she started feeding raw when she lived in the deep south (swampy, stewy, hot and humid). After she started feeding her dogs raw down there she never once saw a flea on any of her dogs again. This was something like 15+ years ago. She lives here in SoCal now and continues to have he same experience. She hasn't had to treat any of her dogs in over 15 years. Seems like more is at work than a light flea season!

Looking for more first hand experience with this!

There is more at work, though if you're looking for a study to prove it, don't bother. I don't think we fully understand the implications of various aspects of animal health in relation to parasite infestations.

I do raw feed, live in a high flea and tick area, and haven't used a spot on in years.

The things that would deter fleas are:

- Being cold

- Being motionless

- Being transparent

- Not breathing

That's flea biology :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

I think just about everyone with a cat or a dog knows the common things that deter fleas and that they have different seasons and some are worse than the others. I think the OP started the thread about whether raw feeding was having an effect absent those deterrents and other factors.

Biologically, it wouldn't, either in terms of what fleas do and how they do it, or in terms of how meat is digested etc.

The one connection I could see is a difference in shopping patterns on the part of the owner -- owner bringing fleas home from a pet-store environment (lots o' fleas) vs. owner shopping elsewhere or taking food deliveries.

I think just about everyone with a cat or a dog knows the common things that deter fleas and that they have different seasons and some are worse than the others. I think the OP started the thread about whether raw feeding was having an effect absent those deterrents and other factors.

Yes, thanks, that is exactly right. I was hoping to read anecdotal experiences, yea or nay, regarding raw feeding and fleas. I didn't expect there would be any studies about it, but it would be great if there were. What has been shared so far, here, by raw feeders is interesting. I hope more raw feeders will post their experiences.

Unless your food (raw or otherwise) contained a chemical such as Comfortis, it wouldn't have an effect.

There probably aren't any studies per se because flea biology, meat constituents, and nutrient metabolism are really well known. :)

The only time my household (which also contained dogs) has had a flea infestation is when humans brought the fleas. We use flea control because one of my current dogs and I are miserably allergic to them -- one flea is too many here.

So you could say that over the years, absence of fleas and ticks has in our various homes been correlated with feeding raw meat, feeding cooked meat, feeding more costly kibble, feeding less costly kibble, feeding varied homecooked meals ..... In other words, no difference.

Edited by Batmom

I don't have any idea if my raw feeding has anything to do with it (like Batmom says, I can't see how, scientifically) but I haven't used anything for a few years now, and no fleas or ticks. My dogs aren't around other dogs, though, and my cats are indoor only, so that's probably why. The only time I ever had a bad flea infestation was when I lived in Dallas, and had taken my cat to be boarded. He came home with a boatload of fleas!

Hmmm, we haven't had to use products in years either. However, I'm not sure it's because of raw. I will find an occasional flea on them during the summer, especially if we aren't keeping the grass in the yard mowed.

We have fed raw for 7-8 years, and I don't think it has anything to do with deterring fleas.

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

• 1 month later...

Stardate June 17, 2011. 4 months of feeding raw, still not one flea on either of the dogs! Coincidence? Me no know.

All other routines are the same, walking the dogs in the same park where they are around other dogs. I never bought kibble from "a pet-store environment" and ala "owner bringing fleas home". When they were fed kibble I brought it home from Costco, I suspect not too many fleas to be found there!

Edited by seeh2o

I don't think there's any proof for or against this idea. I understand the concept, and I can see why someone might believe it's true. For example, we often see intestinal parasites multiply like mad in a dog that's under stress, or has immune problems. If by feeding a species appropriate diet you're strengthening the immune system, this would be the reason why fleas aren't attracted or don't stick around like they do in less healthy animals.

Not saying whether I agree or not, just saying this is what the logic is.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Mine eat kibble and to be honest, we haven't had fleas in years. I don't have to use anything on my dogs for fleas and down here in the south, I find that amazing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Mine eat kibble and to be honest, we haven't had fleas in years. I don't have to use anything on my dogs for fleas and down here in the south, I find that amazing.

Wow, Judy! How cool is that!!!

• 1 month later...

Wow, Judy! How cool is that!!!

Same here, Judy! I haven't seen a flea on any of mine in several years.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Interesting that you said this because of the 5 I had last year the only 2 that did have fleas were my raw eaters.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 weeks later...

Update: August 21

Sad to say, we came home last week from visiting my s/o in Las Vegas and both dogs have fleas. Carl had the worst of it. I didn't have any Advantage left, so I used the Adams water based flea spray that I'd tried last year (and hated). Well, I learned that 1) I used too much Adams last year and that's why the dogs coats were gummy 2) Adams works really well, I was finding dead and dying fleas on and off of them within an hour or less 3) Used properly, Adams is great (thank you Dee!) and the dogs ended up smelling like a Spencer Gifts store! After a few days the feeling of the Adams wears off for the most part. I did purchase some Advantage, but haven't used it yet as the Adams still seems to be working.

Well, we almost got through the entire summer without needing flea juice!