Hoping This Is A Histiocytoma

Joshy is getting this off on Monday. And hopefully he will still have an ear! unsure.gif

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I have no idea what it is Susan, but am pretty sure that its a greyt idea to have it taken off. We will have both of you in our thoughts come Monday.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest greybookends

I had something that looked just like that removed from Daytona's back a few months ago. It was benign. I hope Joshy's is also nothing.

It does kinda look like it. Franny had one on her foot. It eventually bled and then fell off before I could get her to the vet.

Frannytoe.jpg

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Joshy is getting this off on Monday. And hopefully he will still have an ear! http://forum.greytalk.com/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

My Jesse had a thing like that beside his left eye and it did turn out to be a histiocytoma. He barely has a scar now. And, he was a very good boy and didn't bother the stitches, so he didn't need to wear the big cone.

Patty

Shilo - I would have made you keep the cone.

Jesse - Yes, I am a good boy.

Maverick - What cone? Did I know you then?

Keeping our boy in my prayers Susan. Looks like a histiocytoma, it better be a histiocytom, that's it, that's all.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Have your vet perform a fine needle aspirate first--histios are super easy to identify. If it's a histio leave it alone-chances are it will eventually dry up and resolve on it's own. Ear flap surgery is always best to be avoided as recovery can be a pita-- ears tend to bleed and healing can be a challange.

Good advice from tbhounds. It certainly *looks* like one altho looks can be deceiving. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I second the fine needle biopsy idea. Arlie had something like this on one of her ears - vet wanted to take if off as she was a little on the old side to be getting a histiocytoma. I wasn't wild about the idea of taking off the end of her ear so we did the fine needle aspirate - which confirmed it was a histiocytoma. So we left it alone, it grew and shrank on and off for awhile, and eventually disappeared. It has never come back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update and to say thank goodness I went with my gut. The fine needle aspirate showed histiocells. I wanted it off anyway. The path report shows an unusual mixed tumour of histio cells and mast cells. The aspirate clearly missed the concerning cells. We are waiting for the results of an additional stain but fortunately this would be a grade one tumour so caught early. Growing suspicious lumps need to be taken off in my opinion and I am very glad I did.

His ear is healing great with absolutely no problems. He doesn't fuss with it at all. And he now has a cute little pucker wub.gif

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Glad he is healing well!

Don't get too worried about the mast cells until you see the final path report. They'll show up most any time there's inflammation, doesn't necessarily mean Bad Stuff.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad he is healing well!

Don't get too worried about the mast cells until you see the final path report. They'll show up most any time there's inflammation, doesn't necessarily mean Bad Stuff.

That's comforting to know. Thanks!

• 7 years later...

My DOG HAS THIS IM SO SCARED BUT HE DONT SEEM TO ACT IN PAIN HE EATS NORMALLY AND IS STILL PLAYFUL IT POPPED AND BLED A LIL BIT DO I LET IT JUST GO AWAY ON ITS ON OR TAKE HIM I JUST DONT WANNA SPEND 200 dollars on a vet bill if it’s something that will go away on its on 

008F18FB-48D6-4125-A55A-7BCC9D970280.jpeg

17BF20A5-CBF0-4273-A078-3C00DF0C0FFA.jpeg

2B50F093-66D1-428A-8DA4-610F47BAA738.jpeg

575417BA-683D-4CD9-A269-B95D0C122FAD.jpeg

822D776B-8909-41BC-AB0E-D39554BF58D3.jpeg

I've only had one dog with a histiocytoma, but it wasn't dark like that.  I would take him in.  Important you know what you are dealing with, so you can proceed accordingly.  Best case scenario it is something that will go away on its own, and you have peace of mind knowing that.