Embarassingly Aloof

Guest missecho

Guest missecho

Molly has beautiful manners--that is, except around other, non-grey dogs and their owners. Case in point on our morning walks: some folks that live in our neighborhood also walk each morning at 6.30 am. A gentleman who has a quiet, well-behaved older dog (maybe part husky, part shephard) greets us every day. The dog is quiet and nice. Molly does not enjoy seeing this person with their dog, and now has started crossing the street when she spots them coming. If we encounter them, she will ignore both the man, who is nice to Molly and pets her a little, and the dog, who is not aggressive at all, and sometimes just sniffs Molly. Her standoffishness is embarrassing.

Any ideas on how to get her to socialize with well-behaved dogs? I note she somewhat enjoys socializing with any big dog that resembles a hound--she really doesn't care for little dogs (won't give them the time of day), or dogs with a lot of fur!

Or their owners.

Our neighbors.

How long have you had Molly? I'm assuming she's a fairly recent addition to your family. It can take the dogs a little while off the track to really settle in and for their personality to come out. Some are social butterflies right off the track, some are really reserved and even fearful of people or other dogs. I think she probably just needs some time.

If you want encourage her to socialize with other people you could try asking them to give her a treat if she's interested in treats on walks. If she freezes up when other people are around but will generally eat on walks I'd start giving her treats as soon as a person shows up (i.e. when they're far away). She should make the connection that the arrival of strangers means good things.

A lot of greyhounds have no interest in non-greys to be honest. Some are great with them, others ignore them, and others can have some other behaviour (see my thread "Here's a theory" to read about what my boy and other greys can do). He goes nuts if he sees another sighthound... whippet, greyhound, afghan... doesn't matter.

I think she just needs more time to settle in. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. If you find it embarassing, just explain to the people you meet that she's fresh off the track and everything is new and unfamiliar. As she becomes more comfortable she should get more sociable. She may never be a social butterfly though.

ETA: This all sort of assumes you haven't had her for that long. But I just looked and see you have 109 posts so maybe she's not as new as I assumed.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have noticed that Rainy either gets very excited for someone to pet her, or she ignored them completely. I've learned to respect her wishes and there have been reasons for every person person she ignores. The best incident was one nice very social gentleman is always excited to see the girls and I could never understand why since he seemed like a nice older man. Few months down the line.... I'm pretty sure he has some anger frustration issues! He gets very angry and frustrated when his little yappers yap at other people and dogs and I witnessed him all out flipping his little dog over to jerk it back in a correction. :huh Yup I will not apologize to anyone for my dogs not wanting to be social with them. ;)

Now for people who are scared of dogs, Rainy will be very standoffish towards since they don't invite her over to pet. I see that as polite behavior. She will also stand very still when children approach so as to not scare them :blush It's too cute to watch her be so happy that a kid is coming to see her and see her brain wheels turning so that she just very quietly sniffs their face and not move suddenly, when she really just wants to jump around with happiness

------

Jessica

I would simply respect her feelings and not push the issue. Not all dogs love other people/dogs. She's much better than the dachshund I fostered who hated every dog and person we would see on walks and want to lunge and bite. I would have taken aloof in a heartbeat!

If we encounter them, she will ignore both the man, who is nice to Molly and pets her a little, and the dog, who is not aggressive at all, and sometimes just sniffs Molly.

It sounds like Molly is just exhibiting good manners....letting the man pet her and the dog sniff her?? But, I don't know a lot about your situation....how long you've had her, is she generally shy or fearful??

Guest zombrie

If we encounter them, she will ignore both the man, who is nice to Molly and pets her a little, and the dog, who is not aggressive at all, and sometimes just sniffs Molly.

It sounds like Molly is just exhibiting good manners....letting the man pet her and the dog sniff her?? But, I don't know a lot about your situation....how long you've had her, is she generally shy or fearful??

That's what I thought too. What do you want her to do? I feel like most greyhounds are like that. That's how my Mira is.

Edited by zombrie

What do you mean "she crosses the street"? While I do allow my dog to sniff and stop from time to time on our walks, I certainly don't let him decide which way we're going or that we're going to cross the street! There is nothing wrong with expecting your dog to walk where YOU want to walk.

I personally feel that if a dog is not behaving BADLY, there is no need for me to try and press the issue of being friendly. Did your parents ever try and make you play with another child you didn't care for? Mine did, and I didn't like it one bit.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I am having the same issues as others here. Why does it matter that your hound is reserved and well mannered? Did you expect your greyhound was going to be like a "golden retriever-happy-goofy-lick-everything-in-front-of-it" dog? Just thinking maybe you were expecting something else. Did you adopt from a group, and if so, did they give you other ideas of how greyhounds act around other breeds? It is VERY typical behavior that you are describing. Frankly I love the fact that my boy Bart doesn't care about other breeds, I don't have to worry about confrontations with other dogs that simply have no manners/training/restraint.

Guest missecho

No expectations of a Golden Retriever--that's for sure!

We do have a crack pot person we run into sometimes in the morning--Molly lets him know what she thinks of him...he always mentions how "non-demonstrative" greyhounds are...I guess he doesn't get it... that turning your backside to someone talking to you is indeed demonstrative.

Please please please do not see this as a negative! My Duke is great off leash but right now I have to keep my distance from other people and their dogs while he is on the leash. Kind of difficult since I live in such a dog friendly town and with many friendly owners!

Be thankful!

Sighthounds notoriously don't care about anyone but their owners. It's one of their most attractive qualities, IMO :)

Someone forgot to give mine that memo. He's such a little hussy. ;) You got loving to give, he's there. :rolleyes:

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I think grey's do tend to be attracted to their own more than other breeds. Two of my girls are very friendly to other people, but ignore or just give a short greeting to other breeds of dogs. My first grey simply doesn't care if there are other people or dogs around; she is totally focused on me. They are all different. If it bothers you I agree with Krissy about having them give her treats might be helpful.

june

Guest KennelMom

Sighthounds notoriously don't care about anyone but their owners. It's one of their most attractive qualities, IMO :)

:nod My dogs don't exist to make strangers feel good about themselves. Of course there ARE social butterfly greyhounds, but as a general rule I would expect them to be more on the reserved side.

it has taken a full year for reserved annie to now nudge her way up to strangers. i have a different situation w/ my other grey. he was handraised and is mr. social. initially annie backed up and always looked the other way.after a period of time(at least 6 months) i would hold her in a show position, as if a judge was examining her and give her a treat after a gentle pet down her back. eventually she caught on and will push felix out of the way to get her pets if it's the RIGHT person. i personally love the aloof temperment of sight hounds. give your pup time and bring some good treats on your walks if you want her to learn to be more social.

Someone forgot to give mine that memo. He's such a little hussy. ;) You got loving to give, he's there. :rolleyes:

Mine too! While George does not like dogs of any breed except Greyhound, he has yet to meet a person of any size, shape, age, or color that he didn't want to be friends with!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LindsaySF

That's pretty typical Greyhound behavior, getting excited by other Greys, and not caring too much about non-Greys (or strange humans). :) As long as she isn't being aggressive about it, I'd just let her be. You could try having your neighbor feed her treats, in some cases that can help a dog look forward to seeing you. :lol But sometimes Greys/sighthounds just aren't that excited by people they don't know, they reserve their excited greetings for family.

If anyone wants one of those "social butterfly" Greys, Charlie is still looking for a home! He loves all the people he sees/meets, even more than me. :lol

~Lindsay~