Broken Toenail

As if we don't have enough on our plates, with Ruby and her neck injury, this morning Rascal came in from outside, tracking blood all over.

I found that she has a toenail on the back foot that is broken off pretty close to the toe. It was bleeding like crazy, so I bandaged her up.

My question is, if I take the bandage off, how likely is it to start bleeding again, once she walks on it? It is an outer toe, so I guess that is in our favor--not so much a weight-bearing toe. I put flour on it to help stop the bleeding, before I bandaged it.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Cuznsalsmom

We had the same thing happen at our house with Sal a few weeks ago, but it was a front toe. Bled everywhere and then some, but once it stopped that was it. He licked it a few times then was done with it. Hopefully Rascal's toe heals as quickly. Good Luck! :)

Usually once it stops bleeding it's done. Gee totally lost one and it stopped bleeding right away.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Nixon did the same thing to one of his hind nails in December.

It took a long time to heal...it was so hard to keep it from re-injury. Even with the nail ground/ rasped off very, very short, he still would 'stub' it.

We soaked it in Empson salt baths every day, but it did end up infected and required 2 rounds of antibiotics before it totally healed.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Milky Way broke one off in November. Once the initial bleeding stopped that was about it, it did ooze a tad for a day or so but nothing major. Pain meds and antibiotics helped a bunch. The trick though was getting him not to lick the toe and to let it heel, we had to use a muzzle.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc