Pongo And Sophie Allergies!

As a lot of you know we just moved to Ft. Myers. We have a lot of pine needles in the back yard. But Pongo and Sophie go out and come right back in... Pongo has a allergy and for some reason this time of year he starts to bite his tail and scratching. I started to give him the benadryl like the doctor told me to give him last year but he continued to bite at his tail. Then I thought it might be that he needed to have his back end cleaned out. (Sorry forgot the word for it) so I did a cleaning like the vet had told me in the past and there was not a lot there, so I don't think that is what it is.... I have checked both their poops very good and I have not seen any worms. I even got a stick and looked even better. I know some people may think I am crazy! :lol But us greyhound owners understand going through our dogs poop. I called the vet and I can't get in until Monday at 8 am. I don't think this is a emergency to take them to the e-vets. But I can't figure out what this might be and I was wondering do you know what I could give them to get relief until we get there Monday Morning. Pongo is really making a sore on the back end near the tail and this just got worse today when I got home from work.I have also checked them for fleas, and used the flea comb and found none.... We use frontline religiously. Any Suggestions? Any Ideas what this maybe? Thanks so Much!

Edited by 4greyhounds

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

You might try bathing him to get any topical allergens off him. My allergy boy responds really well to medicated baths with a resicort rinse. The derm vet here claims that bathing is your first defense fighting allergies. FYI when my boy's allergies flair he chews his tail like corn on the cob. Another benefit with bathing, you can check for fleas at the same time.

Thanks so Much for the suggestions. I am going to bath him tonight. We have checked them both all over and DH swears it can't be fleas but I think just because we don't see them they could still be getting them... That is why I mentioned the back yard has a lot of Pine needles we have those trees in the back that makes the big pine combs year round.....

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest dancewkathylee

Florida has no see ums. Little tiny tiny black bugs. Very hard to see but give a nasty sting when they bite. I lived in the Fort Meyer area for 8 years. Couldn't leave the windows open because they get through the screens. Might be them. If your dogs are allergic, would make the bite worse. Good luck!!

My first guess is fleas however if it's 'no see ums'...those are nasty too and they'll make anyone scratch like crazy. Hope the bath helps but likely it will take several.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest barkdogs

a little cortisone cream rubbed THOROUGHLY into the itchy patches can help bring a lot of relief until you get to the vet.

Florida has no see ums. Little tiny tiny black bugs. Very hard to see but give a nasty sting when they bite. I lived in the Fort Meyer area for 8 years. Couldn't leave the windows open because they get through the screens. Might be them. If your dogs are allergic, would make the bite worse. Good luck!!

I have not heard of these bugs but it makes sense, and we have had the windows open, due to we have been painting. I wonder if this is the reason, and Pongo is highly allergic to bugs and outside Pollen etc....

I don't think it is Fleas because we have gave them all flea baths just to make sure and no fleas seen... Plus the other two is not scratching.

My first guess is fleas however if it's 'no see ums'...those are nasty too and they'll make anyone scratch like crazy. Hope the bath helps but likely it will take several.

You are right and we have now gave them 3 baths poor babies, and they are Super Clean....

a little cortisone cream rubbed THOROUGHLY into the itchy patches can help bring a lot of relief until you get to the vet.

Thanks that is waht we rubbed on after the last bath and it seems to be working... Just have to watch Pongo and keep him muzzled that he don't lick it off, Sophie does not really bother the cream.

darlenesiggy2.jpg

When they come back in the house after a trip outside, wipe them down with a damp paper towel. That will get fresh pollen off their coats. Wipe their feet, too, so they're not tracking the pollen back in. (If you have any pollen allergies, do this for your sake, even if the dogs aren't reacting to the pollen.)

As for the possibility of fleas, when you comb the dogs, watch for "flea dirt" (the nice name for flea feces). Comb the dogs over something white (paper towels spread on the floor, something like that). Watch for tiny dark specs of dirt being combed out of a coat. If the dirt shows up on the paper towel, wet the dirt and rub it. If it stays black, it's dirt; if it turns blood red, it's flea dirt.

Ticks are very common in Florida; we get dozens off dogs coming up from JCKC. But I don't think a tick bite will trigger the same sort of chewing that you're seeing with your guys. And ticks are a bit more visible on a dog than fleas are; look for tiny ticks between the toes and pads of a dog's feet.

If Pongo keeps licking off the cream, put a bit of duct tape on his muzzle, over the holes where he's able to lick through. The muzzle might also limit the damage he's doing to himself.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

When they come back in the house after a trip outside, wipe them down with a damp paper towel. That will get fresh pollen off their coats. Wipe their feet, too, so they're not tracking the pollen back in. (If you have any pollen allergies, do this for your sake, even if the dogs aren't reacting to the pollen.)

As for the possibility of fleas, when you comb the dogs, watch for "flea dirt" (the nice name for flea feces). Comb the dogs over something white (paper towels spread on the floor, something like that). Watch for tiny dark specs of dirt being combed out of a coat. If the dirt shows up on the paper towel, wet the dirt and rub it. If it stays black, it's dirt; if it turns blood red, it's flea dirt.

Ticks are very common in Florida; we get dozens off dogs coming up from JCKC. But I don't think a tick bite will trigger the same sort of chewing that you're seeing with your guys. And ticks are a bit more visible on a dog than fleas are; look for tiny ticks between the toes and pads of a dog's feet.

If Pongo keeps licking off the cream, put a bit of duct tape on his muzzle, over the holes where he's able to lick through. The muzzle might also limit the damage he's doing to himself.

Thanks so Much Great advise! :colgate That is one of day falls of living in Florida is we get every type of bug and Pollen!

darlenesiggy2.jpg

Guest d0ggiem0mma

No-See-Ums hang out in the grass and in the dirt, especially sandy dirt. They don't normally venture into the house. We had a major problem with the little buggers a couple years ago... they left welts all over my dogs tummies and legs! The vet had us switch to K9-Advantix and the bites stopped.

I've also heard that the fleas in in many areas of Florida have become immune to Frontline because of people trying to be split doses between dogs. You may find the Frontline to be less effective in your area so keep an eye on it.

As for the pollen- a damp paper towel will work, but baby wipes are a little handier! I keep a pop-up box of baby wipes by the back door for a variety of reasons =)

d0ggiem0mma has a point about fleas becoming immune to Frontline and other flea treatments. A vet I know recommended talking to your neighbors and asking what treatments are effective for their dogs. Then, of course, you need to consider whether that treatment is safe for greyhounds...but at least your neighbors can tell you want isn't working. And they might have input on no-see-ums in your area.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

they love the taste of hydrocort/aloe. i use massive ammounts, costco sells it really cheap. i've seen no ill effects over the 10+ years that i have applied it to a dog.

Since we have moved to Ft. Myers from Apollo Beach it is weird it seems the their is more bugs down here... It is weird we lived on the beach in Apollo and here we are 10 minutes away. We even had sand as a back yard where here we have more trees. We have did all the things above we did not find any flea dirt. But we found what could be bites of some type of bug. The bath gave them type relief and the cortisone seems to work. Can't wait to hear what the vet says in the morning.

darlenesiggy2.jpg