So My Dogs Broke Into The Fish Oil...

Would that be a bad thing if one or both of my dogs ate about 200 fish oil capsules?

What if one of them just had an ultrasound and shows signs of kidney damage? I'm so mad. At them. At myself. Years of this bottle being left on the counter. Today they pulled it down.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest dragontearz

I want to say horrendous diarrhea is soon to come, but I honestly don't know other than that, or if that would happen..sorry they got into the pills, and sorry about the news of kidney damage :(

Yeah, I'm planning to clean up some NASTY poo over the next few days. sick.gif

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Please call a vet or e-vet. Have the bottle handy when you call. http://heart-disease.emedtv.com/fish-oil/fish-oil-overdose.html http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_possible_to_overdose_on_omega_3

(Google fish oil overdose and see other links.)

ETA: Here's the scary bit to worry about:

One omega-3 warning to keep in mind is that omega 3 oils act as blood thinners.
Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest KennelMom

yeah...there could be problems. Most fish oil pills are pretty low dose, but x's 200 could be quite a lot. Sending prayers that all is ok :hope :hope

The other thing to consider is that many fish oils contain vit E (also listed as tocopherols on the label) to preserve freshness. Don't know if dogs can get sick from an overdose of vit E, but might be worth checking if your capsules do in fact contain it.

I hope everything is okay. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So far no ill effects. No gas, no extra trips outside, no messy poo. And the e-vet was less than helpful. No advice given over the phone, just a suggestion I bring 'em on in.

So far no ill effects. No gas, no extra trips outside, no messy poo. And the e-vet was less than helpful. No advice given over the phone, just a suggestion I bring 'em on in.

Yeah its really a waste of time to call an evet. They're clear on their priorities and want that emergency fee and won't say anything but like you said 'bring 'em in.'

Guest KennelMom

Yeah its really a waste of time to call an evet. They're clear on their priorities and want that emergency fee and won't say anything but like you said 'bring 'em in.'

This attitude is one of my pet peeves. Not the e-vet, but the expectation of free medical advice to a complete stranger over the phone. So...if the vet said: oh, they'll probably be fine and the dog ends up dying guess who is at risk of a lawsuit? It's not appropriate for a vet to give medical, especially emergency medical advice, to a complete stranger for an animal they've never seen to an owner who most likely has no skill whatsoever in medically evaluating an animal.

If I ever felt the need to call and ask the e-vet if my dog needed to be seen, I was probably already on the way there to see them.

Edited by KennelMom

Yeah. I'm a terrible dog owner, what can I say? I've spent $1000 in the last month on ONE dog so I guess it's unreasonable to expect them to hand out "free" advice.

If my dogs die I'll blame the internet. No where on there could I find that fish oil kills dogs.

Lauren, Heather didn't say you were a bad dog owner. She was just reiterating that it isn't up to the e-vet to give out advice over the phone. They are a business just like a doctors office. Most dr's offices would also say to just come in.

I'm really glad that Grace and Fenway didn't have any ill effects from the fish oil caps. I have been a panicked owner who called the e-vet once too. Steak ate an entire bag of hershey's kisses and I called. The e-vet said that if I was worried to bring him in. I later felt ok and didn't take him in. No big deal, but if the e-vets started charging per phone call I think more people would think twice before calling in.

Give Fenny and Grace a hug. Everyone was just worried.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Shermanator

I don't think she was asking for free advice, just a simple yes or no. I know all about expensive months for the pups, and worried about the time you'll spend at the evet, time you might have to take off, and so forth- even just a "what do I look for in an OD?" I'd most likely do the same thing in the heat of the moment. Hope the pups are doing well. :)

Sorry guys. :blush Having a bad day. Didn't mean to take it out on anyone.

The hounds have showed no signs of distress and have had absolutely no changes in any "output" (gaseous or otherwise). I'm staring to think that maybe they hid the pills around the living room like squirrels would hide nuts...saving them for later. I'm stumped. And if something goes terribly wrong as a result, then I'm the one who has to live with the decision I made not to go to the e-vet, right?

Guest mbfilby

Unless this was cod liver oil which is high in vitamin A, there should be little to no ill effects. It is almost impossible for a dog to get sick from vitamin E, they would have to consume massive concentrated doses over extended periods of time.

It is common in Alaska and the Arctic for natives to feed their sled dogs a diet of straight fish. While these arn't greys, the metabolism is similar.

Full Article HEREAnother commonly reported side effects of fish and/or fish oil supplements include fishy odor on the breath, upset stomach, and greasy stools. A more serious side effect can be an increase in LDL cholesterol, a harmful form of cholesterol. Large doses of fish oil supplements may also cause weight gain and decrease the absorption of vitamins A, E, D, and K from the stomach. If your dog has diabetes or subject to diabetes, use caution when feeding fish oil supplements, as they are reported to increase blood sugar.

Taking large amounts of fish oils over a long period may increase the risk of mild bleeding resulting in nosebleeds and bruising.

It’s not a good idea to use cod liver oil as a fish oil supplement because it contains very high levels of vitamin A. High doses of vitamin A can cause headache, dry skin, itching, and liver damage.

I'm at the e-vet now for stitches. Not related to the fish oil. But hey, might as well ask what to do next time while I'm here!

Sigh. Anyone know of any employment opportunities for hounds. I have two that need to start making some money STAT!

Guest KennelMom

Yeah. I'm a terrible dog owner, what can I say? I've spent $1000 in the last month on ONE dog so I guess it's unreasonable to expect them to hand out "free" advice.

If my dogs die I'll blame the internet. No where on there could I find that fish oil kills dogs.

I'm sorry if it came across like I was attacking or criticizing you...I wasn't. I don't have a problem with people calling the e-vet. My irritation was with the other comment that accused e-vets of being stingy or mean or whatever b/c they dont usually dispense medical advice over the phone. When, it really has nothing to do with being "money grubbing"...it's about practicing good medicine.

I have called the vet to ask what they could do in certain situations...if they basically say "monitor" then I can do that at home.

Whenever these sorts of things come up on GT, I usually ask myself what I would do and, to be honest, I,(depending on the dog) probably would have done what you did. And I'm usually pretty quick to take them in.

I apologize if I wasn't clear!

Sorry to hear about the stitches...sometimes these hounds can be injury factories! Hopefully it's not too bad :goodluck

Edited by KennelMom