How Much Time To Take Off For A New "gotcha"

Guest carhound

That's one good reason to go ahead and take the week off - to help your new dog get used to holding it longer and longer. That will be a change, they're used to be turned out pretty often when they're in the kennels. Once your dog has worked up to holding it that long and knows the schedule, it shouldn't be a problem holding it for 9 - 10 hours though. That's our situation, I work all day and have a 40 min commute. Lots of people are in the same situation, so don't feel bad about that.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you have someone let your hound out in the middle of the day, you have no issues. 4-5 hours between potty breaks is more than enough. So dont worry about taking time off to build up the bladder, they can already hold it that long, if not longer.

Guest mirinaaronsmom

When I adopted my first hound (first dog ever), I was advised by my adoption rep not to take any time off work - just to get into the routine as soon as possible. So he came Saturday afternoon and I had Sunday off and back to work on Monday. I also have a long (50-minute) commute so 10-hour days are the norm (I wish it was different). I had someone come in for a couple of weeks and each day he came a half hour earlier to work up to holding it for the full time. This has worked with each of the hounds I've adopted since. I adopted Mojo in January and he has decided he will not be crated or confined into just a couple of rooms. Since he's had his 'freedom', we've had no accidents. Now we just have to get past eating everything he can get his mouth on, but that's another story. Yes, muzzles are our friend.

Congratulations on your new hound. Greys are the best!

Guest NJgrey

This whole not being home for 9-10 hours on a regular day is what has me worried. I plan to treat the time off as a mini vacation with the wife, we are gonna go do stuff for us while the dog has alone training. My thinking is that the hound won't have to go iron bladder cold turkey. Or is it a bad thing to steadily work the dog into the daily routine, increasing the time spent away/alone each day. as well as working on the pee holding muscles.

Yeah it stinks but honestly, once they settle in they sleep the whole day anyway.

As other have said, move gradually. Start by making sure he can hold it while crated. Then confine him to one area, then gradually increase the area he's allowed to roam while alone. 9-10 hrs is a long time to hold it, especially when the weather gets warmer and they drink more. Many dogs can hold it that long, or longer, but some can't. Ours has a cut-off at about 8.5. Anything around 9 is hit and miss. So days when my wife and I are both at work all day, I come home at lunch for a quick out. Some days she goes in late or works from home, so not an issue. If I wasn't able to do that we'd probably have to get a dog walker.

But you'll figure it out soon enough, just worry about the more pressing stuff for now :)

Congrats on your soon-to-be new addition. Lots of good advice already given but here is what I would add. If you plan on crating, make sure you crate your dog for short periods while you are at home. For example, put him in the crate for 30 minutes while you cook dinner and maybe for another 30 minutes later on while you read a book. That way the dog doesn't associate the crate with you always leaving and being alone. The crate is also the ONLY time I give my dog his food-filled kong. When he sees his kong, he's in his crate pretty fast (although my guy LOVES his crate). When you do leave, put him in his crate 10 minutes before you go, ignore him, and just leave. When you come home, do the same thing...ignore him for about 10 minutes and then let him out of his crate. And although my dog loves his crate, I could tell he was pretty anxious about it when I first got him. With this type of training, he learned to love his crate and is where he chooses to spend his time chilling out (it is in our family room).

Oh, I also leave a radio playing while I'm gone. Figure the dogs might like to hear voices and some noise, plus as I work from home, there's usually a radio on anyway. The important thing to remember is each dog's adjustment period is different. Some are well adjusted after a few days and for others it takes a couple of weeks. Good luck.