Question For Those Who Home Cook Or Feed Raw

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

I recently adopted a 12yo non grey that licks her rear end (but she doesn't make it sore). She doesn't scoot or do anything else. Previous owner said she has always done it, she was on kibble. So I switched her to raw (which I usually feed my dogs) hoping it would help but it didn't so took her to vet to see if anal glands needed expressing. Btw stools are perfectly formed and she has been tested for parasites (no blood was seen in stool). Anal glands were fine but upon examining the rectum vet got a little blood and said also might be some thickening. We are trying metronidizal for a week to see if it helps in some way. My question is, would the bone in the ground meat/bone I give cause further inflammation or should I just feed meat raw with no bone and add calcium OR should I just cook for her and add some oatmeal for its soothing qualities. Thanks for input :colgate Brit

Stop giving the bone for a while because it can be constipating and see if it helps with the licking. If I was in your shoes, I would also supplement with oyster shell calcium since she is not getting the bone and feed some oatmeal every day to give a little extra fiber to keep the stools firm - maybe give a few tablespoons and see how she does.