Tripe

Trying to cook tripe for my boys.....didn't know enough to boil it so I stuck it oven!!!! Is that OK??? I would imagine that the parboiling is for texture...and I doubt my boys care! Obviously, cooking is not qujte my area of expertise!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what kind of tripe you are handling. Green tripe you don't cook, just serve it up minced and raw. If you are talking the bleached white tripe from the grocery store... I don't know anyone who feeds that type to their greys.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I'm such a kitchen idiot.....That is exactly what I bought.....and I have it in the oven. It smells pretty gross in here!! :lol

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

It won't hurt them, but the white stuff has no nutritional benefit. I imagine if you tried to cook green tripe you wouldn't, uh, want to live in your house anymore for a few days....

If you want to feed non-raw green tripe the easy thing would be to buy the canned Tripett variety (Solid Gold also makes a canned tripe, but it has other stuff in it) -- the company says it's just lightly cooked and still maintains the enzymatic benefits etc.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

OMG! I can IMAGINE the smell. And imagining it is as close as I want to get. Your poor thing! Tripe is the most disgusting smell. Get your windows open! -- it can permeate into your couches and drapes and stuff and you'll be smelling it for a week!

White tripe has, I am told, little nutritional value for dogs. The green tripe you should be able to get from suppliers of raw food for dogs. You can usually get it frozen in cubes. Sometimes you can get it at pet stores in the freezer section. When defrosting it, do it in a SEALED CONTAINER (speaketh the voice of experience!) and, when ready to feed it, whip off the lid and dump it out without breathing. :lol Nasty nasty nasty but the dogs love it!

Lisa B.

Thanks....my goal is simply to encourage EZ to eat. I have to be creative with him and use add-ins....

As long as it won't hurt them....not so concerned about he nutrition.

By the way, this stuff doesn't smell great, either - so I can't imagine what the other stuff would smell like.

So you feed the green type raw?? This stuff smells like I stuck my hand in the oven alive and cooked it!

Edited by mychip1

As far as I am concerned, green tripe smells like an overused, under-maintained outhouse in July. However, the dogs think that it is a delicacy that surpasses all other! While I have gotten used to it, in the beginning I wore gloves to handle it. 'nuff said.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks....my goal is simply to encourage EZ to eat. I have to be creative with him and use add-ins....

As long as it won't hurt them....not so concerned about he nutrition.

By the way, this stuff doesn't smell great, either - so I can't imagine what the other stuff would smell like.

So you feed the green type raw?? This stuff smells like I stuck my hand in the oven alive and cooked it!

Sounds like the canned would really be easiest! It doesn't need to be raw to have the "dog crack" effect. I had to order Tripett online but the Solid Gold Green Cow tripe is at Petco (we don't have independent holistic pet food places where I live; YMMV). I don't find the canned smells that much worse than, say, cat food. Beth adores it and does well with it, though unfortunately I'll have to stop feeding it because of her just-diagnosed pancreas issue, at least for the time being.

Edited by PrairieProf

The green stuff smells worse, I believe. It's really disgusting. I almost puked the first time I smelled it. Of course, I had got up really close and had a big sniff! Note to self: Don't do that again!!!! But OMG, Summer went nuts for it! She had eaten a lot of bone that day at a birthday party and the cube of green tripe is so full of wonderful enzymes and things that help with digestion. So I fed her a cube that evening so that she didn't get the painful, chalky, bone-filled poops afterwards. BTW, Summer isn't fed a raw diet -- just some bits and pieces, here and there.

Here's a link to a canned brand which was recommended to me. I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment. Tripett, as mentioned above, was also recommended. I do prefer the much shorter ingredient list for the Tripett.

Canned Tripe

Tripett

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

As far as I am concerned, green tripe smells like an overused, under-maintained outhouse in July. However, the dogs think that it is a delicacy that surpasses all other! While I have gotten used to it, in the beginning I wore gloves to handle it. 'nuff said.

That's an absolutely perfect description!

Lisa B.

Thanks, again, to all. I will remember NOT to put my nose in the can!

I guess for now, I can cut this stuff up and feed it. I can't imagine that it would't be safe for them.

Interesting about the digestive enzymes. Might be good for Dustin who get a bad belly a lot!

I am such a dingbat when it comes to cooking. I can bake, but that doesn't help my hounds!!!

Edited by mychip1

:puke That's all I have to say.....

:lol:lol:lol That's about where I am right now...By the way...after cooking it in the oven...I decided it was too tough....so in complete opposite fashion of the purpose of parboiling, I decided to boil it after it was baked. It did soften it up, but OMG, the smell is gross.

I did give them a little - they LOVE it.

Guest KennelMom

It won't hurt them, but the white stuff has no nutritional benefit. I imagine if you tried to cook green tripe you wouldn't, uh, want to live in your house anymore for a few days....

....or EVER AGAIN! :puke I don't even want to imagine the smell of cooking green tripe....

Guest sweetpea

I'm such a kitchen idiot.....That is exactly what I bought.....and I have it in the oven. It smells pretty gross in here!! :lol

When I first saw your post this morning I thought "nguh, I don't know nothing about tripe except that it smells bad, I can't

imagine having to bake it off in the oven."

And then I ran away from your post as fast as I could!

:sick

Buzzy

....or EVER AGAIN! :puke I don't even want to imagine the smell of cooking green tripe....

I wonder if the people who work in the processing plant for canned tripe get hardship pay. . .. :lol

In an effort to "re-smell" or "un-smell" the kitchen, I decided to do the only thing I can do in the kitchen and that is to bake. So I did one of my favorite chocolate cakes from scratch. I figured the wonderful smell of chocolate could overshadow anything. Now I have an extraordinarily bizarre smell in the house!! But the hounds are happy....and that's all tht matters!;)

(By the way, after reading this thread, you all understand why DH prefers to go out or get take-out!)

I called my Mom to ask her about the white tripe. Apparently her brothers and father used to LOVE it!! She sounded like she was getting sick just taking about it! :lol I guess my male relatives were part greyhound.

Cooking tripe for HOOMAN consumption... ewwww. My mother did it before, when I was a kid, and I've never forgiven forgotten. I think it's a British thing?

I've heard that it's popular in Britain - but my family is Armenian so I don't know what their excuse was!!! (Of course, my grandfather used to have a jar of pigsfeet on his counter, too!!! :lol )

I use the canned variety...as PrarieProf mentioned 'Tripett' is a good brand.

I buy the New Zealand Lamb Tripett, as our dogs are on lamb-based kibble.

In December 11 yr old Bandit refused to eat anything but cheese and toast. Vet could find nothing wrong. All her blood work was perfect.

I bought a can of tripett and as soon as I started opening it I had all three dogs drooling on my feet.

Bandit's eating issues went away as mysteriously as they arrived, but I continue to mix a spoonful of the tripett into her kibble. Billie Jean (age 14) also gets some in her kibbles, too.

I now buy it by the case!

You can get Venison and Beef, as well as Lamb.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

In Latin countries it's called menudo. Supposed to be a hangover cure. I guess something that makes you hurl could be considered a hangover cure :unsure

Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs did an episode on the green tripe plant in California :lol

:lol :lol :lol Wow...that makes the bloody mary concept look like child's play! Hmmmm....hurling to get over a hangover? Something to ponder.

Nancy, thanks. EZ is just so difficult to convince to eat. He will just hold out until he gets something he likes. He's on the thin side to begin with and and 10.5, I am concerned about his weight.

As always, thanks to all here on GT for their input - and a few laughs. Little did I know when I posted my dingbat move of putting this stuff in the oven, that I would have a few good laughs.

By the way, I did eat the cake, but the smell of tripe was so in my head, I couldn't tell how it tasted. I did bring it to my parents house tonight for dessert - and my sis and her husband were there as well as the parents... and everyone thought it was great. I assume that means that it did KNOT smell or taste like burned flesh as did my kitchen!:blink: