Baytril Vs. Orbax?

Have any of you treated your dog's UTI with Orbax? It's in the same class of drugs as Baytril, floroquinolones, but isn't identical to it. Apparently, Orbax should be given apart from the meal by an hour or two. Until today I didn't know that. :( Anyhow, any experience? Is it as good as Baytril or does it just depend on the situation?

Thanks for anything you can offer. We've been struggling here!!!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Have used others in that class but not that one. Was a culture and sensitivity done? That's the only way you really know whether you've got the right drug.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have used others in that class but not that one. Was a culture and sensitivity done? That's the only way you really know whether you've got the right drug.

A C&S was done. Three of them, actually! The last one showed that "Baytril" would work, as they told me over the phone. When I went to get it, they said "We're giving you Orbax," and I assumed it was another version of Baytril -- no problem. What they didn't tell me, as I just found out today, was to give it an hour before or two hours after meals! I've been giving it with meals, so after 2-1/2 weeks it's no wonder it hasn't worked well, is it?!

Just on a hunch, I started giving it by itself, just in a meatball, two days ago, and he seems to be doing better. (Don't know why I didn't go to the internet and check on this sooner. Guess it's because I asked about dosing in relation to meals in an email to the vet, and she said no problem.) His vet persists in wanting to consider it plain old incontinence, despite the C&S's showing E. coli. She wants him to stop after this round and have another C&S 5 days afterward, and then she wants him to take Proin, assuming the bacteria have been cleared. I don't think they will be. Moreover, I'm not willing to stop for 8 to 10 days and then have to reattack it with a higher dose. This would be the third or fourth time for that kind of occurrence. :angryfire

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Ack. Somebody (not you) deserves a sharp smack, eh?

Hope this one works for your boy!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Years ago when I had my first greyhound, rascal, he was unable to empty his bladder completely due to nerve issues after a battle with FCE. Our vet put him on Orbax...no mention of problems giving it with meals. He was on it for an extended period of time as it was a constant battle for him to not develop an infection. It kept him infection free but he wasn't battling an on going issue. I thought it was a pretty heavy duty antibiotic.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Thanks, Donna. The vet thinks he's emptying completely, though I have my doubts. In any case, this might not have become such a BFD if it was cultured as a potential infection a year ago instead of being dismissed as probable incontinence. Now I may have to change vets to find one willing to hit it long and hard as an infection. The current vet thinks three weeks is a long course of this a/b. But three weeks given improperly in an infection this entrenched is not, to my way of thinking, a long course. I'm open to hearing what others here think about it. But I'm pretty sure that this issue is going to be a deal breaker between me and this vet. Which makes me very sad.