Thundershirt Or Storm Defender Cape

My boy Joe has always been somewhat afraid of thunderstorms but this year the fear has turned into total panic. He has even vomited (actually more like regurgitation) as a result of his agitation. I don't remember him reacting this badly last year. The only change is that his leg was amputated due to osteo on July 28 last summer. I don't recall him having worse thunderphobia afterwards but my mind was definitely not focused on it.

I am going to talk to my oncologist at Ohio State about this. Joe is currently on various medications for the cancer (Palladia, cytoxan, artemisinin) and others as needed for side affects: reglan, flagyl, pepcid, peptobismol, cerenia, and carafate. In the past they stated that they didn't want him on any supplements (we were talking about glucosamine/chondroitin) because they didn't know if it would interact with the chemo drugs. I should mention that Joe is part of a study regarding Palladia's use in osteo dogs with no visible lung mets. Their desire to avoid supplements could also be because of this study and "muddying the waters" as to the effectiveness of this treatment.

Does anyone here have any experience with both the storm defender cape and the thundershirt? Does one seem to work better than the other or does it just depend on the dog? Have folks here had luck with either one?

Thundershirt has a fundraiser going on right now. The OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness program will receive $15 if I buy a thundershirt with the code GHWP in the next 10 days or so. I would love to get this donation to OSU but only if the product works.

I know not to comfort him as that will reinforce the behavior. I will find and buy a storm CD but I have my doubts as to whether that will work. He seems to sense the storm long before there is any noise that I can hear. I have tried taking him into my walk-in closet (an interior room) but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Also, he will only stay there as long as I am there. I really can't spend every storm in the closet.

I so want his remaining time to be happy and stress-free. It upsets me to see him so panicked. Perhaps he is picking up on this?

Well, the current storm is moving away. Maybe I will be able to get some sleep tonight.

Jane

I only have experience with the Storm Defender cape. One of my adopters got one and it really helped Romeo. He would know when the storms were coming before it even showed up on TV back then. Usually about 4 hours before the storm came he would go to the hall closet where his coat was kept and ask for it. Her was never wrong.

That adopter sewed and made a few capes using lame lining for others. They sort of worked but not as good as the real deal. I'm sure as with most everything it does depend on the dog. It does come with a money back guarentee, so what do you have to lose?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Nothing works for Da Vid. I have bought the Storm Defender coat, put a tee-shirt on him, wiped him down with dryer sheets, used Foster and Smith Ultra Calm pills. The vet wants me to start him on Prozac, but I really do not want to do that. I will be happy to send you the Storm Defender Coat and you can give it a try. Just e-mail me and let me know. I personally would just donate the money to OSU.

We have had success with the Storm Defender cape. It has worked very well for Murray, our thunder phobic hound. Never tried the thunder shirt .

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Jane- the Thundershirt is money-back guaranteed! I don't have any personal experience with them yet so I can't vouch for the product... but I figure it's worth a try if I can get my money back either way. I just ordered 2 of them, 1 for Maggie and 1 for Guinness.

That being said, if Joe is a storm predictor (feeling the change in the air hours before the storm arrives) it might be worth talking to the folks at OSU about some meds. They just wrote me a script for some Xanax to try with Maggie. The Xanax is nice because you only use it when you need it, the Prozac you have to use every day because it takes about 4-6 weeks to even start working!