Dropped Muscle On Hind End

I remember seeing a picture and postings about a hind end/inner thigh muscle that had "dropped". The photo was taken from the rear and you could see the inner thigh profile was not symmetrical from leg to leg.

A friend's greyhound did the splits a week ago. Her inner rear leg muscle looks like what I remember from that photo.

How do you tell the difference between an actual muscle dropping or tearing and a severe bruise that has pooled? There is no noticeable skin discoloration.

This dog is not limping. Because her normal temperment is to snap if someone tries to touch her, they haven't really been able to palpate the area.

If someone can find that photo, please re-post or link it here. I think I remember that no treatment was needed for a dropped muscle, just time to recuperate.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest TheDoggfather

You're right... no treatment, just some time off from anything strenuous. Right, too, on the description... I dont think there's much pain involved to the dog. I've seen dogs who'd drop a hund muscle and walk off the track as if nothing happened. They just can't run full speed for a while til it heals. We once had one of our racers surgically repaired from a dropped muscle... took about 6 months of recovery time, but, he made it back and won some top grade races.

Here's a shot of Badger's butt. On his left, the edge of the muscle is shaped sort of like a P--it's thicker at the top, then gets suddenly more narrow. On the right, it tapers more gradually.

el4ltc.jpg

Hope that helps!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Here are two of Billy - he raced in Guam and likely ad no time off for the injuy to heal.

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

It is always this pronounced - more so after he runs.

Edited by djsgreys

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com