Lost Our Grey

Guest Guest_Susan

Guest Guest_Susan

Hi-

I recently posting in the behavior section asking for help with our dog. We moved and she was having severe anxiety. I had tried everything-leaving my clothes with her, staying home with her, leaving the tv on, the list goes on and on. She just wasn't settling in-in the past two weeks she dropped ten pounds and we took her to the vet. Since she was still eating two good meals a day, plus treats plus the coveted "people" food we weren't too worried that is was real serious. On Sunday, she stopped eating and we took her to the vet on Monday and he said she had colitis and gave her some antibiotics and sent her home, though he couldn't read her blood sample. On Tuesday, she quit drinking and by Tuesday night we knew it was bad. She couldn't walk and we had to carry her outside for the bathroom runs. We sat up with her all night spoon feeding what little water she would take and trying to get her to eat anything. We took her back to the vet first thing Wednesday and we both thought they would just give her an IV and fix her up. This time the vet (a different one, same practice) said she had developed something called DCI that was probably brought on by the anxiety. He said the odds weren't good but we could try and treat her to see if she responded to any treatment. We tried but she was bleeding internally and as the day progressed she was in so much pain that we made the only decision we could and helped her along her way. We're devestated. I just needed to share our very sad story with people who would understand how much you can love a greyhound.

What a terrible heartbreak for you. My sympathy to you and your family. Hoping that you have some good memories of your girl, and that they will make you smile again one day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How awful! What a terrible thing for all of you to have to have gone through. My thoughts and sympathies are with you all.

((((Susan and family))))

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your greygirl...condolences :f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Susan, I am so sorry to hear that you've lost your girl - DIC was the final complication which our Susan developed with her kidney cancer. It's a terrible thing :(

I've never heard of it being caused by anxiety. Cancer is commonly a cause, though (as with our Suze) - and it often seems to occur in those who are near death for various other reasons. I don't want to make you start questioning the vets dx, but if you're anything like me you'll be waking in the night suffering pangs of guilt and grief and you'll start to blame yourself for the anxiety she suffered. And I want to say to you please don't - it may well have been due to her colitis which you dealt with to the very best of your ability. She was very lucky to have you.

You may never know exactly why she died, but try to remember that you gave her your best love and attention while she was with you, and sending her on her way was the final gift of love. I know how hard that is :weep It's been over three months and I still cry for my girl.

:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

we (2 leggers and 4 leggers) dont know how long we have here...and why our time has to end. But, She was here in your lives to touch your heart and to love you....and the same for you....You were in her life to love her and give her a happy home.

Sorry to hear she is gone.....god speed her on her way to the rainbow bridge f_yellow

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest KaseysMom

Susan, I am so sorry. My deepest sympathies--I know you feel as though your heart has broken. I've got a few bridge kids--it's rough. Please take care, and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs. :f_white:heart

Guest cindysmom

I'm so sorry for you and your baby girl. That had to be just gut-wrenching to go through all of that and have it happen so quickly. My prayers and condolences to your family. Take care, and hugs.

I am so sorry...my deepest sympathy to you and your family. :(:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BleusysMom

Your little Girl was soooo Lucky to have you for her Family....she will now be watching over you, as you watched over her.....Godspeed Little Girl.....

I'm so sorry for your loss - you did all you could for her, and she knows that you loved her all the way to the end. Godspeed your grey to the Bridge, and may you be comforted in this very difficult time. :f_pink

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Guest BoomerMom

Susan,

I can't imagine the heartbreak that you and your family are feeling. It is obvious how much you cared and that you did everything that you could. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kelly, Mark, Boomerang & Roxy

Susan, I'm so sorry you lost your baby. She was loved, and she's at peace now.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.