High Fiber Wet Food?

Guest Miller

Poor Jeffy suffered liquid poo which was bloody. The vet tested for whip worm. The test was not conclusive but the parasite cycles in three week intervals so if it comes back in three weeks he probably has whip worm.

She suggested a higher fiber wet food. Jeff is on Taste of The Wild wet and dry food. She said that the lack of fiber may be causing irritation which would cause the blood. We got some cans of Purina Veterinary Diets that has an 8% fiber compared to TOTW's 1% fiber. Poor firmed up after two meals no blood after three.

If this is the fix I'd like to find a high fiber wet food that does not have corn meal gluten and meat by-products in it.

Any suggestions? I'm lazy and don't want to read the label on every type because the last one I pick up will be e right one.

Guest mcsheltie

You can add a little unflavored, unsweetened Metamucil to his current wet food.

I'd worm with Panacur. One of the inert ingredients actually helps stop diarrhea. So you get a double whammy when you use it in situations like yours.

I also was going to say add unflavored metamucil to the cans. Poor baby. I hope he's better soon.

My allergy dog Hogan could do brown rice, so I always added some to his meals for the extra fiber.

Edited by fritofeet

Add benefiber or metamucil to your current diet, or your dog's diet. ;)

Don't spend the money for "high fiber" food.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest avadogner

My hounds have been through this a few times (neighbors dogs were diseased and poorly cared for and water runoff comes into our back yard thus reexposing them). the neighbors dogs were a whole other thread. I kept my hounds on the TWOW and added plain metamucil and digestive enzymes (Prozyme) and it corrected and later prevented the bloody loose stools. I also highly rec using Panacure because it just seems to work best and eases the GI distress. I have also changed my greys from Interceptor to far less expensinve, Iverhart MAX which has whipworm, tapeworm and hookworm preventative in addtition to the ususal Heartworm prevention. It lacks the flea coverage of Interceptor but I saved more money going to the Iverhart MAX plus topical Frontline. My hounds haven't had any further whipworm infestations since. I hope your hounds feels better soon!

-ava and augie's mum

Guest Stripeyfan

If Jeff's problems are due to irritation from parasites, try giving him slippery elm to calm his GI tract. You can give up to 3 capsules daily - roughly 1 capsule per 10kg bodyweight. When I give it to Kelly I break open the capsules and mix the contents with a little hot water to make a thin paste. Then I shred in a couple of bits of chicken. He doesn't like the SE but will lap it up just to get to the chicken! I buy mine from a human health food store.

Why did the vet suggest adding fiber? Kelly has IBD as a result of parasite damage and high fiber food actually makes him worse as it's harder for him to digest.

I hope you can find a fix for this problem soon. grouphug.gif

I'll say for the millionth time feed Iams dry. The beet pulp will fix the water in the intestines issue. If you try it and it doesn't work let me know.

I was just going to suggest plain old beet pulp. If you don't want to switch foods, you can just add beet pulp to what you're feeding. You can get it at farm supply stores. It comes in a huge (50lb?) bag and it's cheap :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest mcsheltie

If Jeff's problems are due to irritation from parasites, try giving him slippery elm to calm his GI tract. You can give up to 3 capsules daily - roughly 1 capsule per 10kg bodyweight. When I give it to Kelly I break open the capsules and mix the contents with a little hot water to make a thin paste. Then I shred in a couple of bits of chicken. He doesn't like the SE but will lap it up just to get to the chicken! I buy mine from a human health food store.

Why did the vet suggest adding fiber? Kelly has IBD as a result of parasite damage and high fiber food actually makes him worse as it's harder for him to digest.

I hope you can find a fix for this problem soon. grouphug.gif

Fiber can cause both loose stools and help them firm up. It is an individual thing. You try it, if it doesn't work, you stop it. Jeffy is lucky to have found a solution so quickly!

Iams does work for a large number of dogs. And high end kibble doesn't work for a lot of dogs. People think it is because of the high protein. i.e. it is too rich. But the problem is usually low fiber or the high amount of minerals. For example high levels of iron often cause loose stools. I am totally uncomfortable feeding anything made by Procter & Gamble. They are constantly have recalls. Their veterinary diets and cat food just had a recall. Several of the VD do not have something similar in another brand, so those poor dogs & people were put in a bad position. They do not have a good track record and really lousy quality control. There are so many companies that make products that haven't had a recall, much less multitudes of them. It is a shame because their ingredients work for many. Beet pulp (without the Iams) would be a good thing to try too. I would inquire about the pesticides used. Might be better to look for a human food grade product. health food stores might carry it.

was just going to suggest plain old beet pulp. If you don't want to switch foods, you can just add beet pulp to what you're feeding. You can get it at farm supply stores. It comes in a huge (50lb?) bag and it's cheap :)

I think more than one GTer has tried and abandoned that idea -- you just have to figure out what to do with the 45 pounds that you don't need. :) If you have friends with horses it'll work out great.

Or maybe if you have a resident squirrel he can distribute it accordingly. ;)......

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/squirrel.shtml

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

I think more than one GTer has tried and abandoned that idea

Bummer, that was something I have always thought about, but haven't tried yet. Do you remember why it didn't work? Did it cause loose stools or just no affect... or?

How much Metamucil would I add? He is a 85 pound male if that helps.

My wife was the one who took him to the vet. She couldn't remember the technical terms the vet used but basically the lack of fiber was could be irratrating his bowls causing the blood. She said whip worm has a three week cycle so if it comes back he would need to be dewormed.

I would have to look at IAMs ingredient list. If it has meat by-products, corn meal or other items I don't eat and wouldn't feed my dog then it would not be an option.

Guest mcsheltie

How much Metamucil would I add? He is a 85 pound male if that helps.

My wife was the one who took him to the vet. She couldn't remember the technical terms the vet used but basically the lack of fiber was could be irratrating his bowls causing the blood. She said whip worm has a three week cycle so if it comes back he would need to be dewormed.

I would have to look at IAMs ingredient list. If it has meat by-products, corn meal or other items I don't eat and wouldn't feed my dog then it would not be an option.

Start at 1/4 teaspoon per 20 lbs in each feeding. But you can safely use much more. I was giving a cat with megacolon a heaping teaspoon twice a day. If you have trouble finding plain, unsweetened Metamucil you can find psyllium husk powder at health food stores or on the internet.

I highly recommend worming with Panacur now. Like I said, it has an inert ingredient that helps firm up stools. And why give the worms another month to do damage.

Iams won't be for you then (me either)

Guest mcsheltie

You may want to read the Metamucil label before using it - as I remember it (please correct me if I'm wrong), there are warnings that you must drink 8 ounces of water with it otherwise it can cause problems.

Not applicable to pets. It works better if you mix water into their food. But it will not cause problems if you do not. I mixed a heaping teaspoon into Garrett's (a small cat) canned food twice a day for 8 years.