Is This Separation Anxiety?

Guest MidnightMama

Guest MidnightMama

Midnite passed a week ago today. Runner has been pooping and today, peeing in the house when left alone (for five hours). This is new behavior and I believe it is most likely due to loneliness or anxiety. I'm wondering if others agree.

What Runner doesn't known is that she will be getting a friend this weekend (think good greyhound thoughts that they mesh well). Will a companion help with the bathrooming issue?

No advice for you, but I would think it's quite common for a dog to experience a large amount of stress after the passing of a long time pack member. Could have a lot to do with the new issues.

Very sorry for your loss, but congrats and best of luck with the new pup :)

I would think it's from being alone since Midnite's passed. Hopefully it will stop when Runner has a new companion. Good thoughts headed your way for this weekend.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Midnite passed a week ago today. Runner has been pooping and today, peeing in the house when left alone (for five hours). This is new behavior and I believe it is most likely due to loneliness or anxiety. I'm wondering if others agree.

What Runner doesn't known is that she will be getting a friend this weekend (think good greyhound thoughts that they mesh well). Will a companion help with the bathrooming issue?

Quite possible that that's what it's from and if so, then yes, a new friend should help. I would try to minimize the time she's alone until then and increase exercise to help with any anxiety/sadness. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest AliceMyPrincess

When my first Greyhound passed away suddenly my male Husky mix was devastated. He would barely get up off the floor unless we opened the door to the garage- which was where we took her out to the car then to the E vet. He would try to get in there to see if she was there. He stopped eating for a few days- would just pick at it when we put it down. My husband and I were heartbroken to lose our beautiful Grey and our male dog's somber behavior made it much worse. We got a Dobe puppy a week later which he hated at first but quickly grew to love her and a week after that we got our second Greyhound and all was right again. Another dog will help immensely it will just take a little time to get them in a routine again. :)

When we lost little Kasie Lynn in September, it affected Rio, Tiana and Willy for several weeks. Lethargy, poor eating, obvious sadness, poor energy... Kasie had been our Alpha, and although the pack had not been together for long (Rio had been with Kasie for 4 months, Tiana with Kasie only 2 months, and Willy with her only 2 weeks), they all felt her loss. Our cats even felt it. All of them were in mourning in different ways. Rio especially felt it, and we were very concerned about her, maybe because she had been with Kasie the longest, maybe because she of all the hounds was closest to Kasie and most attached to her, maybe because she was the one who became our Alpha and had a huge role to fill, maybe they were feeling our grief (Kasie had been with me for over 14 years and she was my heart dog) maybe all of the above. We gave them all extra attention and time, but it only worked for short periods of time. But what really helped, finally, was when they went to Camp Greyhound to be boarded for a week while we were away, and were with new dogs. We are not sure what exactly helped about that time...the pack at Camp had lost their longtime pack member, Romi, the same day Kasie went over the bridge, and they were in mourning, too. After that week of being together, all of the hounds in BOTH packs were doing much much better. My pack seemed to have moved on, and put the mourning period behind. Hopefully, a new pup in your home will be just what Runner needs.

I am so sorry for the loss of Midnite. I can only imagine your pain, and your worry about Runner. Good luck this weekend. I hope all goes well.

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

I can't answer as to your original questions other than to say that Runner is clearly anxious over the loss of her friend. I did want to take a moment to recommend that before you bring the new dog into your home you make sure to totally clean the areas that have been eliminated on so that the new kid in the house doesn't feel compelled to mark over them and start a cycle of them both peeing over each others spots.

Guest MidnightMama

Well, I called the vet today to see if there is anything we could do to help her. They suggested some treats called Composure that they have had a great deal of success with when the anxiety is not chronic separation anxiety but rather caused by a situation or environmental stress. We will also be letting the radio play for her while we are out. These treats are also for Artie as he settles in. They described it as the sleepy, after big turkey dinner feeling. Apparently they make a version of these for humans, too :lol

The good news is, there were no accidents today and she is eating better today also (which makes me very, very happy!)