Pray For Onyx - Going To The Vets

Guest MnMDogs

Oh wow...I saw your reply to my LP thread, and I am so happy that she is back home with you. She was one of the hounds I was thinking of when I made the decision to have this surgery, since she's such a success story and apparently a very strong, regal lady :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news I wanted to hear!!! What a trooper!!! Tell her to hold tight....spring is just around the corner (at least that's what I keep telling myself)!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Sat Morning

Well I was hoping for significant improvement that some dogs have just in one night. Especially since she was able to use the stairs the same day she stopped using her legs.

But she's no better today. In fact last night although I slept in the living room with her, she didn't huff at me to take her outside. She had leakage all night on her bed.

She didn't want to go out this morning either. But when I took her out she did her business.

So, even though the vet said by Monday I should see drastic changes, I'm getting nervous that she may not be one of the lucky ones.

Also, I'm utterly exhausted. She only weighs 54 lbs, but each time I pick her up she feels like she's gained 10 lbs. Using the sling still is a lot of work to keep her back feet from dragging on the ground. All this on top of sleeping on the couch waking up every 2 hrs wondering if Nana needs to go out.

Sat update (yea the other should have said Fri)

I still haven't seen much improvement. Her appetite is still great, she's still bright and alert and huffs at me when she wants something. The Princess Diva til the end.

We have a chiro this afternoon. She also does acupuncture, so I hope that'll help too.

We've had great results with chiropuncture, as we call it. :colgate You might also get a bottle of B-12 from your vet and give injections every 2-4 weeks. (Maybe 2X/week to start, though.) It does wonders for lots of things that bother older dogs, including back-end trouble.

Come on, Onxy, you can do it with a little help from your friends!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Just wanted to stop in to send some good thoughts for Onyx. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sunday evening update

I still haven't seen any noticeable improvement. :(

The chiropractor however said not to bury her yet. She can stand if we place her hind feet under her. She does not have incontinence and can spread her legs with me supporting her in the sling to pee. In fact she held it in for 8 hrs today while I was visiting my parents. She still has a great appetite, even ate her meal with some dog food in it tonight. The chiro said I need to remember she's equivalent to 105 yrs old. I need to give her time. So, I'll give her the week. If there is no change by next weekend, I'll send her to the Bridge. She is not in any pain, so I feel comfortable at least doing that.

P.S. I asked about doing acupuncture (which my chiro does) and she doesn't think it'll help.

Edited by MP_the4pack

I'm sorry she's not better :( .

It is a good sign that she hasn't deteriorated.

Sending lots of hugs for yourself and scritchies for sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Monday morning update

FINALLY. I see something! While I originally expected her to bounce back and be walking solo by today, I'm happy with what I saw. She can squat to do her business and straighten her legs out when done. But not really bring them back under her, I have to do that.(all under the strong support of the sling) Still no accidents in the house (so no incontinence, a big sign of deterioration).

When we approached the stairs or snowbank she tried really hard to climb them. She has no strength in her hind end, but she wants to use those legs. And they were kinda moving where they should go.

She had a rough night last night. Stressing every 2 hours to go outside. I was beginning to think she was bloating because input is not equalling output. However what little output there is, is very soft. But by 3 AM, she finally had a poo. It was a very small amount, but apparently enough for her and she slept the rest of the night. This morning before any food, she had another poo. So, both together equalled a significant output. (aren't these lovely updates?! :) )

Luckily I can work from home. (I can't make this a permanent solution, but once in a while is okay). So I get to WFH tomorrow.

My friend convinced me that I NEED a break, and I think I do. So, she's going to be boarded at the vets for Wed, Thurs because they can handle her special needs. I'm going to take a day and go x-country skiing.

My big fear now is that she'll come back only 50%. She'll be able to wobble around on her own, but not get up on her own or do stairs or a ramp. What will I do with that? I have three entrances into the house: front, back and garage. All three of them have 6 steps. And even though I've made Dima a ramp when she was a tripod, she had strength in her legs. I can make Nana (Onyx) a ramp, but what if she can't do it without support? I have to work. And there are no babysitters around. Especially ones willing to work with a special needs old lady. I hope I don't have to make a decision!

Tues morning update

It's been 5 days since she had her pred shot, and there really is no noticeable improvement other than those itty bitty ones yesterday. She didn't do this morning what she did yesterday.

If she is like this Friday I'll be sending her to the Bridge.

Why is it that none of my lsat ditch efforts that vets are sure will work, work for me?