Caution About Convenia- Antibiotic Shot

Got this warning passed onto me by a member of a group. It's about Convenia, an

antibiotic shot by Pfizer that's supposed to work for 10-14 days:

Please, heads up about this new drug. I've now spoken to 4 people who have had

this injection given to their cat/dog only to have their pets die within hours to a

week afterward. It hasn't been out very long but I would refrain from using this if

at all possible. I wasn't happy about Baytril and now this. It seems to me to be

a lazy drug. Works for a two week period?

Got this warning passed onto me by a member of a group. It's about Convenia, an

antibiotic shot by Pfizer that's supposed to work for 10-14 days:

Please, heads up about this new drug. I've now spoken to 4 people who have had

this injection given to their cat/dog only to have their pets die within hours to a

week afterward. It hasn't been out very long but I would refrain from using this if

at all possible. I wasn't happy about Baytril and now this. It seems to me to be

a lazy drug. Works for a two week period?

Thanks for the warning. How frightening.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

As far as know it's only effective for 7-10 days. We have used it many, many times (primarily in cats ) w/o incident. We often use it in kitties that owners just can not give oral meds. IMO it's way too expensive to dose it for dogs. Not saying reactions aren't seen to this drug-just haven't seen it in our practice. We have been using it seen it's release.

Do you have any more details about the pets that died? What was the Convenia being used to treat, any other health problems, and any other meds being used at the same time? What was the actual cause of death, and were they reported to FDA and Pfizer? Any and all drugs can cause unexpected reactions, but I'd be interested in any additional info so that we can be more cautious in its use. It's also easy to blame the new drug when the death may have been related to other factors.

Our clinic didn't start using Convenia right when it came out, but we've probably had it for over a year now and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). I mostly use it in cats since they are notoriously difficult to medicate orally, but have also used it in some dogs(usually smaller dogs).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It's been awesome for my cat when she had a pesky UTI. It's been out a couple of years. Really worked, and -- while I have no problem giving her oral meds -- it didn't upset her stomach the way oral antibiotics do. Correlation does not equal causation -- is there any real evidence that the deaths were related to the medication?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest krystolla

A lazy drug? Obviously someone who hasn't tried to give oral meds to a cat after a dental.

Injectable antibiotics have been around longer than orals -- just because this variant is new doesn't make it bad. Oral meds are in many cases more likely to cause significant or deadly side effects because they are harder on the digestive system and because the level of the drug in the system varies as opposed to reaching effective levels and declining slowly like an injection. Bad reactions can happen with ANY drug.

Four deaths (with unknown causes) at varying intervals after administration of an antibiotic (among other possible treatments) to animals with varying medical conditions isn't even a statistically significant cluster. This is the same sort of scare that makes people decide not to vaccinate their children or microwave water. /rant

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. :mum

Those are the only details I have. Obviously it doesn't kill every dog or cat being administered it, but it is exceedingly rare for somebody to know of several animals who've died of a medicine. Pet owners should be aware there have been problems and decide accordingly. (And this came from a cat owner, so I'm sure she's had to administer meds.)

Yes, injectable meds have been around for a long time, but this is the first time I've heard of an antibiotic shot that lasts days. On occasion, the vet has used one that lasts 12-24 hours, but that's it.

Of course all drugs can pose a risk, but again, the question is whether the person is aware of them.

Personally, I would not use this for my pets.

Those are the only details I have. Obviously it doesn't kill every dog or cat being administered it, but it is exceedingly rare for somebody to know of several animals who've died of a medicine. Pet owners should be aware there have been problems and decide accordingly. (And this came from a cat owner, so I'm sure she's had to administer meds.)

Yes, injectable meds have been around for a long time, but this is the first time I've heard of an antibiotic shot that lasts days. On occasion, the vet has used one that lasts 12-24 hours, but that's it.

Of course all drugs can pose a risk, but again, the question is whether the person is aware of them.

DITTO. THANKS FOR THE WARNING. Rabies shots arn't supposed to kill dogs either and of course everybody has used them in their practice with no (?) problems- but something was sure the heck wrong recently. Minny nearly died from his and some did die-all of a sudden everytime I talked to somebody there was a new report. It was a Pfitzer vaccine too by the way. I appreciate the warning. My dogs won't be threatened by it as now I know not to risk their life with it. ( Nor will they be guinea pigs in somebodys practice to see if it is actually safe.) Thank you again.

Did you look into this, or are you just forwarding something?

My little 7 pound cat has had several shots of Convenia. I can't imagine why you'd give it to a dog, but have you ever tried to pill a cat for 14 days twice a day? With some cats, it's virtually impossible to do once, never mind 14 times.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

DITTO. THANKS FOR THE WARNING. Rabies shots arn't supposed to kill dogs either and of course everybody has used them in their practice with no (?) problems- but something was sure the heck wrong recently. Minny nearly died from his and some did die-all of a sudden everytime I talked to somebody there was a new report. It was a Pfitzer vaccine too by the way. I appreciate the warning. My dogs won't be threatened by it as now I know not to risk their life with it. ( Nor will they be guinea pigs in somebodys practice to see if it is actually safe.) Thank you again.

The rabies virus kills too as does a simple penicillin injection to some.

Edited by tbhounds

Pfizer quite clearly state on their website My link that it is not to be used where there is an allergic reaction to penicillins and cephalosporins. I would have thought it was actually much less likely to cause harmful effects to the stomach, liver or even the kidneys as it is excreted unaltered.

There are dangers with all drugs and with newer drugs potentially more than with older ones.

What was the pathology behind the morbidity - ie. which systems were compromised leading to death?

Edited by JohnF

Pfizer quite clearly state on their website My link that it is not to be used where there is an allergic reaction to penicillins and cephalosporins. I would have thought it was actually much less likely to cause harmful effects to the stomach, liver or even the kidneys as it is excreted unaltered.

There are dangers with all drugs and with newer drugs potentially more than with older ones.

What was the pathology behind the morbidity - ie. which systems were compromised leading to death?

FYI MInny is not allergic to ANYTHING and never has been(nor were several other victims). I wouldn't have given it to him if he had been. Yes penicillin, even water for that matter can be lethal as well. The question is what is the incidence of bad rxns- usually very low for such. Bad lots do get out though and then the question is what is the CURRENT incidence of bad rxns. Less than a year ago a bad lot of west nile virus vaccine "got out" and killed several horses before it was recalled. Had it not killed/sickened so many the news of the bad vaccine probably wouldn't have "got out" either.

Edited by racindog

Guest Swifthounds

Some of us have pilled multiple cats, multiple times per day, some of them unfamiliar and/or feral and yes, the word I would use for using something more convenient but not more effective than other methods us lazy. Not to mention dangerous. Alllgies and reactions aren't always known and if they happen with something that remains in the animals system for as long as 65 days that is a huge risk - all for an antibiotic that's only approved for skin issues, which are uncommon unless the animal us dreadfully unhealthy.

OK. Another drug to go on the 'Please do not use' list I give to my vet.

It is indeed worrying that it takes ages to get it out of the system.

My last dog, in CRF, had problems with Tramadol for her shoulder pain. It caused dangerous arrythmias (heart going like a motor with occasional big beats) and the 36 hours that took to get out of the system seemed like a lifetime. It is not genrally known about Tramadol being involved like this unless you dig into the human medical literature.

As far as know it's only effective for 7-10 days. We have used it many, many times (primarily in cats ) w/o incident. We often use it in kitties that owners just can not give oral meds. IMO it's way too expensive to dose it for dogs. Not saying reactions aren't seen to this drug-just haven't seen it in our practice. We have been using it seen it's release.

We used it for our cat when he got an infection from a wound right before we were leaving for Dewey this year and it worked out great, I was worried that our pet siiter could not orally administer his pills, he is awful w/meds.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Did you look into this, or are you just forwarding something?

My little 7 pound cat has had several shots of Convenia. I can't imagine why you'd give it to a dog, but have you ever tried to pill a cat for 14 days twice a day? With some cats, it's virtually impossible to do once, never mind 14 times.

Yep, same problem here, I end up w/claw marks every time I have to give antibiotics, and 14 days of that, no fun.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Ensuring proper medication delivery isn't lazy. If the owner can't guarantee being able to administer the antibiotics over the time period needed then this is a good option. If you can pill your cat, and your cat can tolerate it, the by all means use the oral version.

I have to have one if my dog's meds formulated into a liquid so I can dose her. No different -You do what you need to do to provide medical care.

I also give monthly heart worm meds - maybe I AM lazy! :lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest Swifthounds

How is it not lazy to give a long-acting shot with limited applicability and long duration where it remains in the body? That's like saying that owners who take their greyhounds for a once a month nail clip at the vet or Petsmart aren't lazy. It's lazy. It's not cause for death by stoning.

HW meds are sold as "monthly" based on marketing research that concluded that pet owners were too lazy/forgetful and wouldn't be motivated to dose on the correct schedule. They dumbed it down and made it 30 day intervals. They don't care if the dog gets 50% more medication over the course of a year than is needed. Eh, more money for them.

Most pet owners never even think about it. They like what's easy and don't really investigate any further. It makes them easy targets for moderately tested "convenience" drugs. Remember the Proheart injectable? They also almost never, absent a catastrophic and fatal reaction, report it to the proper channels (company, Feds., or any of the veterinary industry organizations). Vets usually don't do it either, even with products with known catastrophic reactions, like many of the rabies vaccine. The rabies vaccines aren't all created equal; some are safer than others. We would have known that much sooner, but owners and vets weren't reporting events. Owners apparently think it's the vet's job to report the reaction. :dunno

How is it not lazy to give a long-acting shot with limited applicability and long duration where it remains in the body? That's like saying that owners who take their greyhounds for a once a month nail clip at the vet or Petsmart aren't lazy. It's lazy.
I suppose you could be even more judgmental if you tried but it is rarely helpful in any discussion involving health and welfare to dump all over people who may not meet your standards of care.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Swifthounds

Has nothing to do with my standards of care, nor with being judgmental. Lazy isn't necessarily a negative. Sometimes it promotes efficiency in a system. It doesn't connote a negative judgment, though some may infer one. Making a medical decision on the basis of convenience rather than medical quality is lazy - or, convenient if that term is less offensive.

There is nothing medically superior about a long lasting injectable for infections or for HW control. All they offer is convenience (hence the name) and the potential for longer lasting side effects, most of which will never be reported.

It is medically superior if the dosing happens over not happening, which is what we're talking about. If you can't give oral antibiotics, it's an option - and if you don't like it, don't use it.

And yes, I am sure people sometimes consider being called lazy a positive. :huh:lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Anybody besides me remember the days of daily heartworm meds?

I don't believe I'll go back to that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

And yes, I am sure people sometimes consider being called lazy a positive. :huh:lol

Sure, those of us who use a dishwashing machine, a washer and dryer, a drip brew coffee maker, etc.

Anybody besides me remember the days of daily heartworm meds?

I don't believe I'll go back to that.

Can't if you want to, much to the dismay of some breeders/owners of faster-growing large breed dogs.