Number Of Potty Breaks Per Day?

Guest 7ct5

Potty-breaks per day   

127 members have voted

1. 1. How many for each of your dogs?

• doggie door! :)

So I'm going away for a course for two weeks at the end of the month. I need someone to look after Phoebe for at least a week (one of my housemates will be home for a week). I could bring her home to my parents, but they live 7 hrs away (one way). So I've been considering a local pet sitter. Most people charge quite a bit per day (I know there's been lots of other threads about this before).

But I'm just curious- How many times a day in total do you let your dogs out to go to the bathroom?? (not necessarily a long walk).

I think I walk Phoebe at least 4 times a day (we don't have a fenced in yard). Each walk is 15-45 minutes. I am thinking of paying someone for two walks a day- but that seems kinda cruel....three walks would be better, but expensive enough to consider driving her back home to the states. A kennel is definitely out of the question- she would just go crazy :lol

Anyway, I'm still exploring options and wanted to conduct a pole about this.

Guest DarkHorse

My two go out two or three times a day, depending on their needs. Tends to be more often if they've been drinking a lot and less often if it's really cold.

Where is local for you? I could probably take Phoebe in here for a week or two if it's convenient in location for you.

ETA: Mine are also leash walked, so it wouldn't be too much of a change.

Edited by DarkHorse

Guest Wasserbuffel

I voted three, because that's all she seems to need. It's often 4 on weekdays and 5 on weekends, because she'll ask to go out to chase bunnies and just be outside. With the weather as it is now, she doesn't even want to go out three times, but I make her.

We do 3 potty breaks per day - one first thing in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one right before bed. If our schedule is all strange on a day, like we're going out for a long period of time that doesn't coincide with a potty break, we will do one before we go out and one when we get home. This usually results in 4 breaks that day, but it's not the norm.

I would also worry about her being alone the whole day, aside from just the potty break issue. Maybe it would be cheaper and less problematic to find a pet sitter who would do boarding in their home? If it's not a big operation and there's just one or two other dogs there it might work out better.

My dogs almost always have someone home so they can go out most anytime they want. However, optimally they go 4 times a day. The rest are play. They would do just as well with 3 breaks but would need a little adjustment period.

What usually happens when we are out of town is I pay the hourly "farm" rate for my critter sitter. We are in the country & she has numerous farm clients. She comes twice a day & is at out place for about an hour. Dogs go potty as soon as she gets there & again right before she leaves. They do fine. We have done this for a decade.

My mother always hires a sitter to stay at the house.

I know that might be expensive, but if she can't go to a kennel, then it's a better option than having her alone all day and all night except walks. Not sure how that's better than being in a kennel?

I take George out 4 or 5 times every day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I usually only take Summit out twice a day. Partly it's due to my schedule, partly due to weather right now, and partly because he seems to do fine. I walk him early in the morning before school. I'm usually gone from 8:30-5:30. I could walk him right when I got home and again a couple of hours later, but with the cold he doesn't want to go out in particular, he doesn't ask to be let out to potty, and if I make him go out that third time late before bed he doesn't really do anything. So I usually just end up walking him at an inbetween time, like 7 or 8. He's got a bladder of steel. He is also crated all day. I leave a bit of water in a bowl in his crate, which he'll drink before I get home. I don't leave him tonnes just because he's a nester and he gets his blankets into the bowl and then he has no water and his blankets are soaked.

On weekends when I can take him out at better intervals (i.e. at midday) then I will give him at least 3 walks.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest mbfilby

Ours go out in the morning before breakfast

Between noon and 2

Before dinner

Between 7 and 9

At bed time

This is their schedule, they go out when they ask. If we were away, they could make due with 4 breaks by eliminating the 7 to 9 turn out.

Our bridge girl Cherry had no issues if 3 breaks were had during the day for many years, so I voted 3. Morning, Supper time, and before bed. Walks were generally morning and supper time. This worked until well over 13 years old. The last 6 months or so she needed and lunchtime break also.

My bigger concern would be her being alone for the rest of the day. Especially overnight. Who will feed her? Give her water? A petsitter at your house would be a better option IMO.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Depends on the dog.

I have one boy (13 yo) that would be fine with 2....morning & evening.

The other (8 yo) needs & wants out first thing in the morning, another time before work (he comes with because he can't/won't

hold it & needs out about 1:00. Then another walk after work, & a quick turn-out before bed. So he's a fiver.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I voted 4, but it's misleading, because he still goes 10 hours during the day without a potty break. We walk him until about 7am, then let him out for a quick pee at 8am before we leave, then walk or let out at 6pm when we get home, then quick pee at 10pm.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I voted 6. Because that's how much they go out but if need be, it could prob be 4.

Lately, we are getting woken up in the middle of the night as well and that is not included.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks for the responses...it's neat to hear everyone's different schedules! I think I may have found the perfect person to watch Phoebe. A university student a couple blocks away, with 3 classes/wk (and reading week no classes). She loves dogs, doesn't have any of her own and would be happy to have Phoebe come stay with her. She's willing to walk her as much as needed and is very, very reasonably priced! (like a quarter of what I was estimating for a real sitter). :colgate

My two go out two or three times a day, depending on their needs. Tends to be more often if they've been drinking a lot and less often if it's really cold.

Where is local for you? I could probably take Phoebe in here for a week or two if it's convenient in location for you.

ETA: Mine are also leash walked, so it wouldn't be too much of a change.

Thanks for the generous offer! I'm actually four hours east of you .... but it was much appreciated! :)

I would do a trial run with the college student if your dog has never been to her place. Have her take the dog during the day for a few hrs at least twice before you leave so it isn't a complete surprise when she is with her a whole week. That way you know how your Grey will adjust and you can make sure it is a good match. Some Greys aren't into change so if it is someone she recognizes and has been to her place then things should go a lot smoother.

Guest BlingDogs

Dory used to go out 4 times a day, but then she started having accidents between the evening and night breaks. So 5 breaks it is: 8:00am, 12:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm, and 10:00pm.

Couldn't you find another greyhound person who can take her in while you're away? That is what we do with our greyhounds. We don't pay either - just return the favor for them at a future date.

As for the potty schedule... I voted 5. We let our dogs out 2x in the morning before work and 3x after work. Each potty break is pretty short (fenced yard).

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I would do a trial run with the college student if your dog has never been to her place. Have her take the dog during the day for a few hrs at least twice before you leave so it isn't a complete surprise when she is with her a whole week. That way you know how your Grey will adjust and you can make sure it is a good match. Some Greys aren't into change so if it is someone she recognizes and has been to her place then things should go a lot smoother.

Excellent idea! I was just going to meet her for a walk..but having her stay there first would be better! Thanks for the suggestion :)

I'd drive the 7 hours one way to your parents house.

My parents and sister live 10 hours away and if I had to leave Jeff for two weeks I wouldn't leave him with a sitter. I'd take him where I would know without a doubt he was 100% taken care of and loved.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Once in the morning before I leave for work, and again when I come home for lunch; then when I get home from work. Then they go out again after dinner and once more before bed. Frank always gets an extra trip outside in the middle of the night. I think I voted 4 but it's actually more like 5-6 :blush

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

When I am home (almost always) and my dogs are following me about, actively, I say four or so... but if I was gone and they were sleeping, I think morning, noon and night would be fine.

Guest shanesmom

Elton goes out at least 4 times. More when the weather is nice. He never asks to go out though. I guess I just always take hime before he really needs to.

7am or as soon as they wake up.

12 noon thereabouts.

5pm before dinner.

8pm early evening after dinner.

11:30pm before I go to bed.

I am home most of the time, so this schedule works for us. If I was working, then they probably would do without their noon turn out, and we would add a second quick pee before leaving for work, after they eat breakfast.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.