Has Anyone Read Or Heard About This Book

Guest june

Has anyone heard about, or read a book entitled: The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health For Dogs and Cats by Andi Brown? I recently came across a copy and have started reading it. Not far enough into it yet to know what I think.

june

Guest greyhound9797

When I started researching raw diets I read most of this book but not the entire thing. I made the decision to feed a prey model diet so the content wasn't relevant to me and my choice. I found that my greyhounds coat, skin, teeth and love of food improved in less than the 8 weeks the book claims it takes to have "great health" so I was convinced that prey model was the way to go. After all, dogs are carnivores and only require meat, bones and organs.

There are a multitude of ways to feed our dogs but you need to do your research and learn what you think is best while still being open to other options in the beginning. After almost 4 years of prey model I will never feed differently.

Sandra in FL

Has anyone heard about, or read a book entitled: The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health For Dogs and Cats by Andi Brown? I recently came across a copy and have started reading it. Not far enough into it yet to know what I think.

june

The Whole Dog Journal just did an article on their recommendations for the best books on home prepared, bone free diets for dogs. For what it's worth, The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health for Dogs and Cats by Andi Brown was not recommended. Reason for not recommending it was due to inadequate guidelines on calcium.

Linda, Keeva and Bella

The book appears to be set up in steps (the 8 weeks) to help you to make changes in what you are feeding your dog. The first two chapters are really an introduction to what the book is all about with an outline of the 8 weeks.

It also encourages you to research what you really are feeding your dog. Reading labels, paying attention to what dog food commercials promise and what the food actually delivers. What is in the kibble and treats you feed your dog (cat), how kibble generally is made, additives, how nutrients are lost when kibble is baked at high temperatures, what your pet needs to be healthy, etc. So far it is interesting.

Chapter 3 (I've just started reading this) is about essential fatty acids (ESA's)and how they can benefit your dog. Each chapter is started and finished by anecdotal stories about how his diet has helped specific animals. There appears to be a deficit of science to back up what he states.

My verdict is still out. Some of what he writes makes sense. One of the things he suggests is that you spend at least 10 minutes each day playing with your dog; good common sense, but is something many pet owners don't do. (The person who has a dog chained up out in the yard etc.) So far it 'sounds good' but I'll need more information before I would make any changes.

Guess I'll keep reading to see where he goes with all this. B)

june

I read this book a few years ago and while I don't agree with everything in it, I used her stew recipe as a starting point for the veggie mix I make for my gang. I think it's really important to read labels and know what the indredients mean before feeding it to a dog. Another book about feeding is "Food Pets Die For" - I can't remember the author right now. This book is what got me started on homecooking for my gang.