Osteo Thread

Guest racergirl435

Oh dear God! Didn't need that scare! I'm glad she's home. Bad dog for making us all worry like that! Give her a big ole hug...I'm sure she was even more scared.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roselle

This is a continuation of a thread that was started by a few people whose pups were diagnosed around the same time in July of 2010. The thread has grown to include numerous other folks whose pups were diagnosed later and we wanted to create a new thread where everyone would feel welcome and where you could easily locate some core information. You do not have to have a pup that currently has osteo to join in this thread - feel free to stop by if you've ever lost a pup to osteo or other cancer, would like to offer support to those currently dealing with this disease, would like to prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with this, or if your pup has been diagnosed recently. We've even had a person or two join in whose pups were diagnosed with other forms of cancer. Basically, anyone is welcome although we'd prefer there be no reason to have to welcome anyone or for this thread to exist at all.

For those who have recently had a pup diagnosed with osteo, here is some information to hopefully get you started:

Bone Cancer Dogs site - An excellent place to start to get general information about osteo, treatment options, etc.

Journal article on pain mgt - Technically an article on using radiation for palliative (pain management) care, but includes a good overview of the

types of bone cancer pain and the various ways to treat it including medications, radiation, and IV pamidronate

Dog Cancer Blog - Blog from Dr. Dressler, a vet who has dedicated himself to cancer treatment in dogs - includes lots of useful information via blog posts, as well as a link

to purchase his book (which covers all aspects of cancer care, both holistic and traditional) in a downloadable format.

The original osteo thread, with 60 pages of useful information and support.

For those considering amputation, BigOrangeDog's blog about what to expect.

Yahoo groups where you can go for information and support:

Dog Bone Cancer Group - not greyhound specific, but a good source of information and support specific to osteosarcoma

Circle of Grey - a greyhound specific support group for owners of pups dealing with all kinds of health issues

Artemisinin and Cancer - for those who would like to pursue artemisinin as part of their treatment regimen, neither greyhound nor osteo specific

The information from Jane on contacting or seeking treatment/drugs from OSU:

The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

Dr. Couto's direct email is: couto.1@osu.edu. His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics: Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

If you wish to help further osteosarcoma research, 2 labs that are collecting samples and have specifically requested greyhound samples:

Modiano Lab - Need tissue from a biopsy and blood; will send a collection kit and a prepaid return mailer; also accepting samples for hemangiosarcoma and lyphoma

Website: http://www.modianolab.org/studyInfo/studyInfo_index.shtml

Contact person: Mitzi, 612-626-6890, lewel001@umn.edu

Broad Institute - Blood samples only, may be able to help with shipping costs, but they prefer you cover them

Website: http://www.broadinstitute.org/science/projects/mammals-models/dog/disease-research/sending-samples

Contact info: dog-info@broadinstitute.org, FAX: (617) 324-2722

Both labs require signed consent forms and samples must be shipped overnight.

And last, but certainly not least, a remembrance of all of the pups lost in the first thread:

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

And those that are still fighting:

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

If there is anyone that I've overlooked, please let me know and I will update. We haven't had updates on the last 4 pups in a while - I hope they are doing well. Also, if anyone has any links they feel are crucial, PM me and I can add them.

Guest roselle

This is a continuation of a thread that was started by a few people whose pups were diagnosed around the same time in July of 2010. The thread has grown to include numerous other folks whose pups were diagnosed later and we wanted to create a new thread where everyone would feel welcome and where you could easily locate some core information. You do not have to have a pup that currently has osteo to join in this thread - feel free to stop by if you've ever lost a pup to osteo or other cancer, would like to offer support to those currently dealing with this disease, would like to prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with this, or if your pup has been diagnosed recently. We've even had a person or two join in whose pups were diagnosed with other forms of cancer. Basically, anyone is welcome although we'd prefer there be no reason to have to welcome anyone or for this thread to exist at all.

For those who have recently had a pup diagnosed with osteo, here is some information to hopefully get you started:

Bone Cancer Dogs site - An excellent place to start to get general information about osteo, treatment options, etc.

Journal article on pain mgt - Technically an article on using radiation for palliative (pain management) care, but includes a good overview of the

types of bone cancer pain and the various ways to treat it including medications, radiation, and IV pamidronate

Dog Cancer Blog - Blog from Dr. Dressler, a vet who has dedicated himself to cancer treatment in dogs - includes lots of useful information via blog posts, as well as a link

to purchase his book (which covers all aspects of cancer care, both holistic and traditional) in a downloadable format.

Dog Bone Cancer Group - not greyhound specific, but a good source of information and support specific to osteosarcoma

Circle of Grey - a greyhound specific support group for owners of pups dealing with all kinds of health issues

Artemisinin and Cancer - for those who would like to pursue artemisinin as part of their treatment regimen, neither greyhound nor osteo specific

The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

Dr. Couto's direct email is: couto.1@osu.edu. His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics: Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

If you wish to help further osteosarcoma research, 2 labs that are collecting samples and have specifically requested greyhound samples:

Modiano Lab - Need tissue from a biopsy and blood; will send a collection kit and a prepaid return mailer; also accepting samples for hemangiosarcoma and lyphoma

Broad Institute - Blood samples only, may be able to help with shipping costs, but they prefer you cover them

Website: http://www.broadinstitute.org/science/projects/mammals-models/dog/disease-research/sending-samples

And last, but certainly not least, a remembrance of all of the pups lost in the first thread:

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

If there is anyone that I've overlooked, please let me know and I will update. We haven't had updates on the last 4 pups in a while - I hope they are doing well. Also, if anyone has any links they feel are crucial, PM me and I can add them.

Jen, Do I need to do something to get email. I'm not getting emails from GT. Roselle

Thanks everyone, Gracy is not fond of pooping on leash, but tough she is back on leash. I was so scared and angry and thought for sure that lion was going to get her. I told my granddaughter when she comes home first I'm going to hug her, then kiss her then spank her and make her go to her room.

Wow! Thank god Gracy is back home!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Jen....thank you for putting all of this together. I've printed it and have it filed in my "greyhound notebook". Hopefully, I'll never have to look at it again. When Lewis was diagnosed in 12/08, I was absolutely lost...not a clue. I walked around in a daze, crying, for two hours before I came here. A bunch of members jumped on it and all of a sudden, I had all kinds of information. It was amazing. Knowing Lewis like I did, he was not a candidate for amputation but I had three wonderful months with him and he was comfortable and happy right up to the end. Thank you.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest roselle

Oh dear God! Didn't need that scare! I'm glad she's home. Bad dog for making us all worry like that! Give her a big ole hug...I'm sure she was even more scared.

She didn't look scared, she looked like she had a great time on her 5 hour walk. No more creative freedom for her it's poop on leash. :lol

I live up two flights of stairs here and have a 78lb osteo dog. Anyone have an expereince with how to manage this? His osteo is in the front leg and going up and down the stairs scares me to death with all that weight being put on the front legs. i carried him for a couple days when he was first diagnosed but this is rther dangerous on my steep stairs and my knees and back were starting to feel it after going out 3x/day!

I live up two flights of stairs here and have a 78lb osteo dog. Anyone have an expereince with how to manage this? His osteo is in the front leg and going up and down the stairs scares me to death with all that weight being put on the front legs. i carried him for a couple days when he was first diagnosed but this is rther dangerous on my steep stairs and my knees and back were starting to feel it after going out 3x/day!

I had the same situation with Neyla. There are a few concrete stairs outside of my building, a full flight of carpeted stairs to get up from my lobby and then once you come into my unit, there is a short, steep flight of carpeted stairs. I used to put collars and leashes on while they stood on the bottom of hte stairs. When Neyla was diagnosed, I switched to doing that upstairs on the level ground and then making her wait until I was downstairs and the door was open. She also had to walk slowly, not rush, and I was very careful to not let Zuri bump into her. Otherwise, we carried on as usual. Her osteo was also in a front shoulder.

Her osteo never progressed to the point where it looked like she was at risk of fracture though. I had made the decision that if it did, I would let her go b/c I didn't want to risk it, but as of 1 week before I let her go, her x-rays looked good in taht regard.

I did build steps for her to get on/off my bed and one large step to get on/off the couch so she wouldn't do any jumping down on that leg. And I wouldn't let her run off lead outside. Other than that, I let her do what she wanted including running and playing inside on the carpeting.

I'm sorry you're in this club. :( Remind me what your dog's name is? I know I saw a post or thread from you already, but it's slipping my mind.

If you want to see pictures of the stairs we built, or want instructions on how to do it, let me know. Oh, you can also use a harness to assist him going up and down stairs to take some of the weight off of that leg, especially going down. Neyla didn't take well to the one we tried so I abandoned that idea. I started a thread in H&M to get recommendations. There were several but the one that got the most was the RuffWear harness. If you search for harness in the forum, I bet the thread will come up.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Joe's lung x-rays are still clean!!! He had his 6 month check up today. He had CBC and Chem, hemocult, urinalysis and chest x-rays. All were good. His hematocrit went a little lower but the white cells are up overall. So we are continuing on the Palladia/cytoxan/artemisinin protocol. As usual, he charmed everyone in the waiting room. That's my boy!

He also got a new toy yesterday that is even better than his Christmas present. It is a yard long rattlesnake with 6 large squeakers and a rattle in its tail. So i squeaks, and rattles, AND hits him in the head when he shakes it. What fun! The squeakers will still work if he punctures them (I don't know how they do it). He is usually death on squeakers -- most only last a few days. It is called an Invincibles snake.

Jane (and Joe, the master snake wrangler)

Jen, Do I need to do something to get email. I'm not getting emails from GT. Roselle

You do have enough postings to get them. Have you checked your settings for GT? Look under My Settings by clicking on your profile.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:yay for clean x-rays for Joe!!! :banana:bounce2:yay:confetti SO glad to hear it!

Now we need some video, or at least photos of him playing with his new toy. :nod

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest roselle

Ah, thank you. And thank god she got home promptly.

Yeah, lead would be good, you'd think a tripod in chemo couldn't move very fast but they sure can when they want to.

You can't believe how fast she was, she's almost 12, on chemo, 3 legs and I was standing next to her and wasn't sure which way she ran. She was so fast. She is learning to pop on lead. She gives me these dirty looks like she wants privacy, well I tell her tough (you know what). When she got home, she looked relax, ears up, like gee that was a great walk I took myself on. I let her off the hook tonight, it was my fault anyway. Meanwhile this mountain lion got another deer, closer to my house. I know thats what spooked her.

Guest roselle

Joe's lung x-rays are still clean!!! He had his 6 month check up today. He had CBC and Chem, hemocult, urinalysis and chest x-rays. All were good. His hematocrit went a little lower but the white cells are up overall. So we are continuing on the Palladia/cytoxan/artemisinin protocol. As usual, he charmed everyone in the waiting room. That's my boy!

He also got a new toy yesterday that is even better than his Christmas present. It is a yard long rattlesnake with 6 large squeakers and a rattle in its tail. So i squeaks, and rattles, AND hits him in the head when he shakes it. What fun! The squeakers will still work if he punctures them (I don't know how they do it). He is usually death on squeakers -- most only last a few days. It is called an Invincibles snake.

Thats great, big hug and kiss :pinkele:cool:banana:bounce1:confetti:yay:colgate

Guest azlorenz

Thats great, big hug and kiss :pinkele:cool:banana:bounce1:confetti:yay:colgate

Ditto that! Go Joe Go!

I had the same situation with Neyla. There are a few concrete stairs outside of my building, a full flight of carpeted stairs to get up from my lobby and then once you come into my unit, there is a short, steep flight of carpeted stairs. I used to put collars and leashes on while they stood on the bottom of hte stairs. When Neyla was diagnosed, I switched to doing that upstairs on the level ground and then making her wait until I was downstairs and the door was open. She also had to walk slowly, not rush, and I was very careful to not let Zuri bump into her. Otherwise, we carried on as usual. Her osteo was also in a front shoulder.

Her osteo never progressed to the point where it looked like she was at risk of fracture though. I had made the decision that if it did, I would let her go b/c I didn't want to risk it, but as of 1 week before I let her go, her x-rays looked good in taht regard.

I did build steps for her to get on/off my bed and one large step to get on/off the couch so she wouldn't do any jumping down on that leg. And I wouldn't let her run off lead outside. Other than that, I let her do what she wanted including running and playing inside on the carpeting.

I'm sorry you're in this club. :( Remind me what your dog's name is? I know I saw a post or thread from you already, but it's slipping my mind.

If you want to see pictures of the stairs we built, or want instructions on how to do it, let me know. Oh, you can also use a harness to assist him going up and down stairs to take some of the weight off of that leg, especially going down. Neyla didn't take well to the one we tried so I abandoned that idea. I started a thread in H&M to get recommendations. There were several but the one that got the most was the RuffWear harness. If you search for harness in the forum, I bet the thread will come up.

Thank you Neylasmom. FedX is my puppy boy :) well 6year old puppy :) We have always had leashes and collar on going down stairs due to my neighbor occasioanlly letting her cat out free to roam... So far i have been using a scarf to use as a makeshift harness, but i will search for your previous thread. I have been concentrating so much on getting his pain under control lately i really need to speak to the vet to see how immenent a fracture really is (i know it is always a risk), it is my biggest fear right now. he has already learned to get off the bed with his 'good' leg first.

OK, another question for all of you experienced OS people! We are currently tweaking FedX's pain meds. Now i am in a conflict in that when he has little to no pain he wants to be a lot more active, yet restricts his activity a bit when he has some slight pain. I don't want him jumping or running about really because i am afraid the leg will fracture. How did you manage this balance?

Edited by snakes

Guest roselle

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

Jen, I left you a message in members, I still am not getting email on this new site, am locked out, Roselle

Jen, I left you a message in members, I still am not getting email on this new site, am locked out, Roselle

Sorry Roselle, I don't really use email with GT. I access it via the internet. Are you unable to do that? If you can access via the internet, you can just bookmark the first page of the thread, or even the H&M forum. Then when you reply, scroll to the bottom and choose add reply rather than replying to the original post so that you aren't copying and posting that whole marathon post every time. :)

Otherwise, you might want to start a thread in the tech forum to get help, or email one of hte mods.

Guest azlorenz

Hubby and the girls and I had an evening out by the fireplace tonight. We finally were able to talk about Flash and how much we miss him. He had such a lust for life that I cannot explain. He was truly the happiest dog in the world. Here we are 6 weeks later and just now able to talk about Flash. He was truly one in a million and we were lucky enough to share our lives with him.

It is hard to lose the company of a happy boy. Hugs to you and your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you're looking for email notification every time someone posts in this thread, be sure you click the "Watch Topic" button at the top of the screen when you enter this thread.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Thanks for all the support as we lost our Rose to osteo in September.

Here she is on the left, with my son and our other Borzoi, Sarov.

062.jpg

Out back with Sophia

20100326_18.jpg

Guest roselle

If you're looking for email notification every time someone posts in this thread, be sure you click the "Watch Topic" button at the top of the screen when you enter this thread.

Thanks, hope that works