Finally Made My Own

Guest Bamn

I'm so excited! I only supplement the kibble I feed them but I finally made a soft food that I know the actual ingredients! It was cheap too. I cooked up almost 3 pounds of chicken livers, brown rice and peas. They LOVE IT!! No fillers, no "unknowns" - I hope it goes over for the long haul.

I'm so excited! I only supplement the kibble I feed them but I finally made a soft food that I know the actual ingredients! It was cheap too. I cooked up almost 3 pounds of chicken livers, brown rice and peas. They LOVE IT!! No fillers, no "unknowns" - I hope it goes over for the long haul.

Good for you and your pups! I've been cooking for about 4 months now and my kids love it and I love don't mind picking up the "solid waste output" now!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Welcome to the world of "I cook for my dogs." Be aware that many people won't understand, but then they don't have to. It is a bit of work, but my girlies are so happy and enjoy their meals so much it is worth it. I also love that policing the yard is so much easier.

june

Edited by june

I was worried about the big "D" but so far everything is fine! It only took about 10 minutes of prep/stirring/mashing - I just let it cook low and slow and left it alone Much easier than I anticipated.

That's great! Our dogs are raw fed - pretty much the same deal as what you go through except there is no cooking. While we pick up their remnants outside (which are solid and in half the quantity of kibble), if we miss some, their poops will literally degrade, turn white, and crumble inside of a bit more than a week. Another huge benefit It shows me that what they eat is what they need and there is no 'extra'. Good luck with the new regime!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest mcsheltie

Good for you!

Don't get carried away feeding too much liver tho. A GH only needs 6 oz of liver per week on a home made diet. Since you are adding this to kibble, which has an abundant amount of Vit A in it, you can quickly reach toxic levels.

A good rule of thumb is to keep add-on to kibble to less than 25%. And only add a little organ meat to your home cooked. Switch around what you add-in is a good idea too.

Good for you!

Don't get carried away feeding too much liver tho. A GH only needs 6 oz of liver per week on a home made diet. Since you are adding this to kibble, which has an abundant amount of Vit A in it, you can quickly reach toxic levels.

A good rule of thumb is to keep add-on to kibble to less than 25%. And only add a little organ meat to your home cooked. Switch around what you add-in is a good idea too.

Thank you for the ratios. I was kind of remembering something about livers but it was available and inexpensive :blush . I will do up some ground turkey and add that in.

I use ground turkey when I get low or run out of my cooked especially in the middle of the week. They LOVE the ground turkey and I always mix it with something else such as green beans, eggs or what ever. I don't use it on a regular basis but they view it as a real treat.

june

Guest Tequila

Bamn -- You might want to check out the thread "Homecooking Suggestions" (should be near this one, on this messageboard).... it contains a LOT of great homecooking recipes/ideas/suggestions!