Greetings From Houston, Tx

Guest katethegreyt

Guest katethegreyt

Hello all. This is my first time posting, so I thought I'd make use of the Introductions forum = )

After years of wanting a dog, I finally have the time and money, so I'm going to get one! I thought I had my heart set on a rescued doberman (I lived with them for awhile and found them to be a lovely breed), but my apartment complex does not allow them (they get lumped in with pits, rotties, and GSDs).

Recently, I've met several absolutely stunning and loving greyhounds, and I thought, hmm... So I've been researching them endlessly since the thought popped into my head, and I believe I've found the perfect breed for me! I'm so excited that I've been spouting facts to all of my friends and endlessly sending my fiance adoption photos (he's 100% on board and very excited as well). I've checked out all the greyhound books at the library, read all the online articles I can find, and will be buying some books for my own greyhound library once I bring mine home. (Wow - I sound like a 12 year old girl here, haha.)

I have two cats, pet rats, and a horse - so I'm working on my menagerie I guess (though the horse thankfully does not live in the house with the rest of us, haha). I love that the greyhound adoption groups check for cat compatibility. My place is not large, and I have no stomach for a puppy at this point - plus I like to adopt older animals, since they sometimes don't get the same love as the cute youngsters. I think the greyhound has so many perfect traits for me - and let me just tell you how secretly excited I am that they have to wear clothes = ) "No no, I'm not one of those people who thinks her dogs are little people - they actually need clothes, I'm just being a responsible owner." Haha.

I've had cats for years and grew up training horses (my grandmother is a professional trainer, and I've toyed with doing it professionally as well). I also dabbled in animal behavior in college and find it fascinating (I actually have a couple of dog behavior books on my shelf already because I found the topic very interesting even without having my own). I haven't had my own dog at this point, but I think with some good classes and continued studying, I'll have a good foundation (I hope!)

Anyway, I'm in Houston, and I'd love to see how many fellow Houstonians are also greyhound lovers. I'm going to try to attend one of the GPA store front events this month and meet some people and hounds.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the adoption groups around here? GPA looks quite good, and I noticed that Gulf Greyhound Park also does adoptions.

I also plan to do an obedience class right off the bat - any recommendations for a greyhound-friendly trainer/facility? I live right downtown, so anything close would be better, but I don't mind driving a bit for the right place.

I'm sure I will be posting more in the other forums with questions, but I thought this would be a good start. Thanks!

Guest katethegreyt

Welcome. What part of Houston?

I'm in the Clear Lake area.

I'm right downtown so I can walk to work and avoid the awful traffic here, haha. Though I still have to drive up 290 to see my horse after work - so bad. A new park just opened about a block from my place, so I'm hoping to have a buddy to share it with soon = )

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm here in Houston :wave

I know they're not the only adoption sites, but I have personal experience with GGP adoption and GPA. I would say, that maybe as a first time greyhound adopter, I would recommend GPA. I think most of the pups (other than possible returns) from Gulf are straight off the track, versus GPA where the pups are in foster homes and perhaps better evaluated. Might be an easier experience for you, especially after the adoption, with an active adoption group such as GPA to resource for advice.

Good for you for doing your research - Good luck!

Guest katethegreyt

I know they're not the only adoption sites, but I have personal experience with GGP adoption and GPA. I would say, that maybe as a first time greyhound adopter, I would recommend GPA. I think most of the pups (other than possible returns) from Gulf are straight off the track, versus GPA where the pups are in foster homes and perhaps better evaluated. Might be an easier experience for you, especially after the adoption, with an active adoption group such as GPA to resource for advice.

That's kind of what I've gathered re: GPA vs. GGP. I chatted with a lady from GGP, and they do have a couple that were returned due to owner's illness, so it may be a possibility. But after our chat I realized most of them are directly off the track, so I think GPA seems to be more beginner friendly, haha. And I like that they seem to have a lot of member events.

Edited by katethegreyt

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Welcome and good luck whatever you decide. I love them straight off the track, but I have to agree that a first time owner with cats may be better off with a fostered dog. Your excitement is fun!

Welcome and so very glad to hear you have caught the greyhound bug!

They make excellent apartment pets. I lived with my first two in an apartment for three years. I think that, sometimes, apartment greys settle in faster for first-timers than house/yard greys because in an apartment you must, by necessity, get them on and keep them on a routine and schedule which is what breeds success with training dogs in general. JMO.

Good to hear you are doing all that research, too, and making sure this is the right breed for you.

I have had three from GPA Houston (and one from Heart of Texas Greyhounds in San Antonio). Groups are excellent after=adoption resources and can help you find a cat compatible companion (all bets off with the rats, however, sorry! B)).

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest katethegreyt

Welcome! You may enjoy becoming addicted to buying fancy collars. :)

Ha! Too late... After I started getting serious about greyhounds, I discovered all of the really cool things they actually need to wear, haha. I've already got collars, rain coats, and sweaters all picked out! Plus I'm going to see if I can't get some New Orleans Saints gear too (who dat?!) I've been waiting to get a dog for a LONG time - I'm so ready (and my fiance is very excited too!)

Hi! I'm in Lake Jackson (well, until next week that is then I'll be in Malta). We have 2 - one from GGP and one from GPA. With the help of people on this board we've had no major problems to speak of, and have met a few good friends.

No advice on rats, but we do have prairie dogs and birds. We had to move the prairie dogs out into the sun room because of safety factors but now I believe they would be ok inside. It was just at first things were iffy. I'd never let them run loose together but the dogs ignore them in the cages now.

Good luck with meeting your new friend!

Lake Jackson, Texas

Guest katethegreyt

Hi! I'm in Lake Jackson (well, until next week that is then I'll be in Malta). We have 2 - one from GGP and one from GPA. With the help of people on this board we've had no major problems to speak of, and have met a few good friends.

No advice on rats, but we do have prairie dogs and birds. We had to move the prairie dogs out into the sun room because of safety factors but now I believe they would be ok inside. It was just at first things were iffy. I'd never let them run loose together but the dogs ignore them in the cages now.

Good luck with meeting your new friend!

My grandparents used to live in Lake Jackson = )

Yeah, I'll be extra watchful of the rats. It was a little touch and go with my cats at first, but now they just consider the cage a sort of fantastic kitty television show when they happen to be interested (which is pretty rare these days). Plus my cage is metal, big, and quite sturdy, with very narrow spaces between the wires. So I'm hoping it won't be too big of a problem as long as I'm there to keep any eye on things. If it seems to be too tempting, I can always move them for a bit = )

Does anyone have suggestions for a solid training facility in the area that is greyhound-friendly where I can do some obedience/training courses?

You are probably right; however, all three of mine came from the track and we had no problems with any of them.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

• 3 weeks later...