Opinion Needed

Guest Duke

I know this has been discussed over and over and I have read as many threads as I can find on the topic. I have had Duke for 11 months now; I gave him Wellness in the beginning because I wanted to give him the best food. He had loose BMs, I called his foster mom who told me she fed him Science Diet, I switched and he did much better. He does have a sensitive stomach and he did have a bout of worms back in April. Since then I have tried to switch him to a more “organic” dog food since that is the way to go, right?

He tried Blue Buffalo Basics and ended up with loose stools. I then transitioned him to Wellness Simple Solutions which he was doing well on until about a month ago. He has had loose stools/diarrhea for about a month now. I took him to the vet and the fecal sample tested negative, he was given a weeks worth of Flagyl and still he has diarrhea,. Before subjecting him to tests, I ordered a dose of Panacur to give him. My question is: should I give him the science Diet since that worked so well for him? His poop has never been as good as it was when he had that. Opinions?

If Science Diet works, that's what I'd give him. If you're not crazy about the nutritional profile of the food, once he stabilizes again you can always give additions (such as egg or ground beef to supplement protein, for example).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Personally I'm not a fan of Science Diet, but the Wellness foods didn't work as a full time diet when we fed kibble (they were very well received as treats though). I never tried Blue Buffalo. There are certainly other foods you could try if you want to - I'd probably pick one with similar protein/carb sources to the Science Diet to start.

Also, be sure that you're not feeding the same amount of the higher quality foods as you did the SD. Feeding too much very often results in loose stools, and that's not the food's fault at all.

Been there done that...never did find a good kibble for our guys and gave up after about 6-7 months. When we switched to raw feeding, ALL the GI problems went away. It isn't for everyone and has its pros and cons, but you go with what works for your dog. Big D and gas are uncomfortable for everyone involved. If SD works for Duke, go with it.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest NJgrey

After her bout with pancreatitis at the end of October we had Ellie on Prescription Diet for about a month, and I have to say, her poops were never better. She tolerated it so we kept her on it for a little but I just couldn't get over the fact that 1.) it was made primarily of corn (which I believe is what gives them the nice poops), plus pork fat for flavoring and 2.) the powdered cellulose - looked it up and decided to switch her to something else.

We made a sloooooowww transition to Wellness Core (reduced fat) and she's been doing quite well on it. Seems for lots of people the Wellness Super 5 mixes are too much for their dogs (similar to Blue Buff), but I didn't see much at all of the same regarding Core. BMs aren't as firm as the prescription diet, but I figure health isn't just about having hard poop. And FWIW we're still good in that department, just not AS good. Her coat is nice, she has lots of energy, she looks great.

May want to give it a try, and whatever you decide to do, do it very slowly. As in start off introducing a few kibbles per meal, do that for a day or so, then add incrementally over 2 weeks.

Guest sirsmom

We tried SD lamb & rice which worked out pretty well (except for some gas) so if it works for your dogs then that's the food for them. Our two favorites are Eukanuba and Pro Plan Selects (no gas and good poop on these also)

Guest zombrie

I'm another one who isn't a fan of science diet.

If it were me, I'd keep trying. Doolin and Caesar are on the Natural Balance fish formula and do great on it. Doolin is very sensitive to foods, and that food works for him.

I also swear by giving them pumpkin. Whenever I run out, Mira and Doolin get a little loose and are fine once I get more pumpkin.

But if all else fails, I would bite the bullet if it works for him even though I hate Science Diet.

As someone else said, make sure you are giving the right amount. On higher end foods, they don't need as much kibble as they do with lower end foods like Science Diet. Giving him too much would make him loose, too.

Good luck!

I am not a food snob - I believe in what works for your dog, whether that be the most expensive food, raw, homecooked, or Science Diet. I too tried a variety of foods for Opie when I got him, believing more expensive was better quality and would produce those firm poops I had only heard of at that time!! :eek In my search (about 4-5 different foods) I also found out he does not do well on chicken based foods. We finally switched to Kirkland Lamb and Rice and things are great - he likes it, and nice bouncy poops. :colgate Do what works for your dog, and don't worry about what others feed.

As an aside, I used to feed grocery store food (WAAAYYY back when there weren't all these designer dog foods). Not that I would recommend that now, but it seems we have become obsessed with all of this. On that grocery store foods (whatever was on sale that he liked) I had an Afghan hound that lived till 16, and was never sick a day in his life, until a few months before he passed.

My advice is do what works.

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest mcsheltie

Try TOTW Pacific Stream. It gets a lot of recommendations from this board. It is a nicely priced grain free food. Much better than SD and gets high marks for good poop :colgate

Oh poor Duke. Of my original two hounds, one had sensitive skin; the other a sensitive stomach. Over the years I tried Nutro (waaaay back when; both threw up and had the Big D -- too rich), Wellness (Whitefish), TOTW (Pacific Stream), Pinnacle (Trout and SP), Merrick (Campfire), and others I can't even recall.

Last year I finally subscribed to Whole Dog Journal and read about their recommended foods. Like many hounds, mine don't do well on certain food or ingredients. Truthfully, the best poops my dogs ever had was on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. Not a premium food; not the worst - but it worked for them.

The boy I adopted last year has some gnarly gut issues, blood in stool, sloppy poo. We're working through this. I just started him on Pro Plan to see if it might help.

I agree with Tydyelady -- I'm not a food snob either. If you find something that works, great! You can always rotate food or supplement with assorted canned or higher quality treats.

Funny, we used to feed our family dog (a Lab) plain old Purina dog food (the green and white checkerboard square bag!). Poor dog always had THE WORST GAS IN THE WORLD but she lived to the ripe old age of 14 - so there! :)

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I am not a food snob - I believe in what works for your dog, whether that be the most expensive food, raw, homecooked, or Science Diet. I too tried a variety of foods for Opie when I got him, believing more expensive was better quality and would produce those firm poops I had only heard of at that time!! :eek In my search (about 4-5 different foods) I also found out he does not do well on chicken based foods. We finally switched to Kirkland Lamb and Rice and things are great - he likes it, and nice bouncy poops. :colgate Do what works for your dog, and don't worry about what others feed.

As an aside, I used to feed grocery store food (WAAAYYY back when there weren't all these designer dog foods). Not that I would recommend that now, but it seems we have become obsessed with all of this. On that grocery store foods (whatever was on sale that he liked) I had an Afghan hound that lived till 16, and was never sick a day in his life, until a few months before he passed.

My advice is do what works.

so true! growing up we had a beagle that lived to be 16, I think she ate Alpo and table food scraps. I added the science diet to Duke's boiled chicken and rice tonight, I will do that for the next few days to at least rule out the fancy food first. Oy! thanks so much for the well heeded suggestions.

Yikes! How ofter are you changing his food? That could be part of the problem too! The "better foods" (not wellness) like Blue are very rich and many dogs can't tolerate them.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

some people live to a ripe old age eating....things we would never dream of!

some dogs do better on....things we would never dream of.

if it works,then stick to it. i think science diet has some newer "better" quality foods. i always have used science diet canned food when there was a need for a canned food(older, convelesing dog) and my vet swears by it, his dogs live to 18+!!!

do what works for duke!

My first girlie was eating Iams when I got her so I stayed with it. When I started checking out better dog foods I decided I needed to change because I wanted the best for my girls. I S l o w l y changed from the Iams I was feeding and what a mess. Tried another same result. After trying 4 different foods, checking for worms, dosing with antibiotics and I don't remember what all else I finally gave in and returned to the Iams. Within two days the stools were firm and the girls were happy. They still get Iams only now I cook real to add to their food (chicken, eggs, sardines, pumpkin, veggies) and a daily multivitamin . If they would tolerate other foods I would change but since they don't I just do my best to be sure they get the nutrition they need.

I learned the hard way. Feed what works for your dog.

june

I use Taste of the Wild for my kibble eaters, and I have one with massive G.I. issues, but if I were you I'd use what works for your pup, as kids we had dogs that lived long lives on table scraps, no processed human food , no dry dog food,,, I think kibble, until just latley, was made in the U.S. first bag of dry dog food, I ever saw was Dad's dog food from a local farm feed store,my Dad bought a bag,, Mom looked at it and thought it looked "pretty bad" :blink: so she continued to add table scraps to small amout of dry, Dogs here get homecooked along with kibble or raw, depending on the dog,,, use what is best for you pup,, pay no attention to dog food snobs,,, your pup is what matters :)

I transitioned him to a different food, twice, very slowly after he developed loose stools after some time eating the food. As I mentioned Blue Buffalo Basics and then Wellness Simple Solutions, he'd start off doing ok then eventually it turns to mush. I gave him a small amount of SD last night with chicken and rice and this morning it looked firmer. So go figure, maybe like others stated this is just what works for him. I don’t want to subject him to tests and more deworming if it is simply a food issue. I can continue to add more supplements as suggested, for now SD it is.

I use Taste of the Wild for my kibble eaters, and I have one with massive G.I. issues, but if I were you I'd use what works for your pup, as kids we had dogs that lived long lives on table scraps, no processed human food , no dry dog food,,, I think kibble, until just latley, was made in the U.S. first bag of dry dog food, I ever saw was Dad's dog food from a local farm feed store,my Dad bought a bag,, Mom looked at it and thought it looked "pretty bad" :blink: so she continued to add table scraps to small amout of dry, Dogs here get homecooked along with kibble or raw, depending on the dog,,, use what is best for you pup,, pay no attention to dog food snobs,,, your pup is what matters :)

besides chicken what other cooked and raw do you suggest? I do canned pumpkin, scrambled eggs..

My first girlie was eating Iams when I got her so I stayed with it. When I started checking out better dog foods I decided I needed to change because I wanted the best for my girls. I S l o w l y changed from the Iams I was feeding and what a mess. Tried another same result. After trying 4 different foods, checking for worms, dosing with antibiotics and I don't remember what all else I finally gave in and returned to the Iams. Within two days the stools were firm and the girls were happy. They still get Iams only now I cook real to add to their food (chicken, eggs, sardines, pumpkin, veggies) and a daily multivitamin . If they would tolerate other foods I would change but since they don't I just do my best to be sure they get the nutrition they need.

I learned the hard way. Feed what works for your dog.

june

Almost exactly the same story - I tried lots of "good" foods -- limited ingredient California Natural, novel protein Natural Balance, Wellness and Blue Buffalo come to mind, but I am sure there were more. Iams was all that worked on Rex. When times were tough here it was dog chow and everyone did fine. Feed what works.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I have had similar issues with one of my greys and my IG..the iG has IBD and reflux, the grey a sensitive tummy. Also not a SD fan, I had them both on a prescription limited ingredients food..grain free. It was Royal canin/IVD. They both did well on it, but it was very expensive and I could only get it from the vet. She suggested I switch (slowly!) to a limited ingredients grain free food. Having had experience with loose stools on wellness, i tried Natural balance. they are both on sweet potato and bison. The grey Garry does fine..the IG loves it has good stools, but still has occasional bouts of gas pains, reflux etc. It is not food related though. I have been happy with the NB limited ingredients grain free. They also get the snacks. My IG is kept on a very strict diet! Good luck!!

Eggs are top choice here :) I use sardines, canned salmon, canned jack mack, cooked sweet potatoes, yogurt and cottage cheese (I'd do milk products slow, as he maybe lactose intolerent), veggies frozen green beans, carrots, peas, boiled ground turkey, my setter thinks he lives at Olive Garden :lol so he like parmesan cheese on his food

As for treats, I get mine from Walk in the bark,, I find them to be the most reasonable, and the treats are natural animal parts,, mine love the dried tripe, and good for their teeth too,,,, good luck, :colgate

Edited by kydie