Oral Antibiotics

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

Arrisa just had some sutures done on her foot, and her vet gave me an antibiotic powder and also an oral antibiotic, Amoxicillin/Clauvulanate 125mg, with instructions to give one twice a day.

I've never had to give her an oral antibiotic, so I'm not sure what kind of adverse reactions I should watch for. I assume it will give her diarrhea (because what doesn't?). Will giving it with food help? Should I maybe also give her some yogurt?

Thanks!

As a side note, her vet was skeptical about doing the procedure without sedation or anesthesia, but was VERY impressed when she stood still on the table for him like a champ while he cleaned, buzzed, and sutured, which just a little lidocaine. Go Arrisa! :colgate

Edited by Sunset123

Some can get a little upset stomach and a bit of runny pooh with antibiotics. Mine have all taken Amox with no problems at all. If you do get a little upset stomach, a little Pepcid about an hour before meals should take care of it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

I give Pepcid AC/or it's generic, with all the antibiotics, and we usually have no problems. Goldie is on Keflex now for a UTI, and, I've been giving pepcid. She does have loose stools, which can be expected with some antibiotics.

Good Luck!

You could also add probiotics. Repopulates the gut with good bugs after the antibiotics sweep out ALL the bugs. That will help right the belly more quickly. Needs to be given 2 hours away from the amoxi & for at least a week after.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Sunset123

You could also add probiotics. Repopulates the gut with good bugs after the antibiotics sweep out ALL the bugs. That will help right the belly more quickly. Needs to be given 2 hours away from the amoxi & for at least a week after.

Is human stuff okay? I have saccharomyces boulardii at home.

Guest sheila

I had a dog that did get the big D after a round of antibiotics. I didn't know at the time that this was a potential side effect. (Wish I had, I came home to 6 plops on the LR carpet!) I ended up fasting him for 24 hrs and then feeding boiled hamburger and rice for a cpl days before gradually working him back up to his normal diet.

Yes that's OK. I like using products with multiple strains rather than just one but for now that's fine.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Sunset123

Yes that's OK. I like using products with multiple strains rather than just one but for now that's fine.

Thanks. :) It turns out those are expired, so I'm going to go with some plain Nancy's yogurt. Since she gets it pretty often and I know it agrees with her stomach, I figure it certainly couldn't hurt.

You'll need to give the yogurt regularly for at least two weeks for the pros to build back up. I always put yogurt on meals at least once a day, sometimes twice. Then give the AB's two hours later.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My foster just finished a 4 week course of antibiotics and not long before that a 10 day course. I knew the 10 course had given him diarrhea, so when the vet prescribed the 4 week course, I asked the vet about it and she gave me a bottle of probiotics which helped a lot. Also, we think that the ABs make him hyper. Either that, or something is really wrong with him because once he's off the ABs for a few days, his energy level goes way down, so he's almost like a normal greyhound.

Guest Sunset123

You'll need to give the yogurt regularly for at least two weeks for the pros to build back up. I always put yogurt on meals at least once a day, sometimes twice. Then give the AB's two hours later.

Will do! :)

My foster just finished a 4 week course of antibiotics and not long before that a 10 day course. I knew the 10 course had given him diarrhea, so when the vet prescribed the 4 week course, I asked the vet about it and she gave me a bottle of probiotics which helped a lot. Also, we think that the ABs make him hyper. Either that, or something is really wrong with him because once he's off the ABs for a few days, his energy level goes way down, so he's almost like a normal greyhound.

Interesting!

I hope Arrisa doesn't get too crazy-- I don't want her to break her foot stitches!

Guest mcsheltie

Clavamox is not hard on the gut. If you give yogurt, don't assume it is the Clavamox causing the problem. A lot of dogs react to dairy. If your dog has a sensitive gut, yogurt is not the direction you should go.

I would recommend going to your local health food store and getting probiotics. Label shop and buy one that guarantees the amount of live microorganisms until the expiration date (check the dairy case)

Yogurt does not have a high number of microorganisms. Depending on how it is pasteurized, processed and shipped it might not have any at all by the time you get it. No matter how it is handled, you would have to give your dog a couple cartons of yogurt to get the same amount of microorganisms you would get in one dose of probiotics.

Guest Sunset123

Clavamox is not hard on the gut. If you give yogurt, don't assume it is the Clavamox causing the problem. A lot of dogs react to dairy. If your dog has a sensitive gut, yogurt is not the direction you should go.

I would recommend going to your local health food store and getting probiotics. Label shop and buy one that guarantees the amount of live microorganisms until the expiration date (check the dairy case)

Yogurt does not have a high number of microorganisms. Depending on how it is pasteurized, processed and shipped it might not have any at all by the time you get it. No matter how it is handled, you would have to give your dog a couple cartons of yogurt to get the same amount of microorganisms you would get in one dose of probiotics.

I'm going to start with this yogurt because I know she's done well with it in the past. Also, most of the probiotics that I checked out today are very expensive, so I decided to hold off on that purchase until I see how she does with this. As far as yogurts go, I think this is a pretty good choice. It's made in my town and I chose the freshest I could find.

I looked it up, and read that a sample of their yogurt that was eleven days old was measured as having 1.35 billion cultures per gram. The creamery points out that even toward the end of its yogurt’s shelf-life, it contains a minimum of 300 million cultures per gram. It contains four different probiotic strains.

I may end up going back to the store for probiotics and letting my husband eat the yogurt. ;) Wish us luck!

Guest mcsheltie

I'm going to start with this yogurt because I know she's done well with it in the past. Also, most of the probiotics that I checked out today are very expensive, so I decided to hold off on that purchase until I see how she does with this. As far as yogurts go, I think this is a pretty good choice. It's made in my town and I chose the freshest I could find.

I looked it up, and read that a sample of their yogurt that was eleven days old was measured as having 1.35 billion cultures per gram. The creamery points out that even toward the end of its yogurt’s shelf-life, it contains a minimum of 300 million cultures per gram. It contains four different probiotic strains.

I may end up going back to the store for probiotics and letting my husband eat the yogurt. ;) Wish us luck!

Sounds like a good product. 1.35 is plenty. Everyone ought to have some :colgate Local dairies are the best. Not to mention you help out your local economy.