Prednisone And Cold Sensitivity

Guest snakes

Hi,

I have only had a dog in the summer that was on prendisone and i know it made her very sensitive to the sun and heat. Does is equally make dogs sensitive to cold? I have my boy newly on pred and he used to be able to pop out for 2-3min without a coat to pee in the winter no problem, but today he was shivering when we got back in so much i had to warm him up with a hair dryer and put his Pj's on!

Anyone else seen this effect? I am trying to rule out it being a symptom of something else.

thanks!

My Fuzz has been on Pred for 8 days and despite a hard freeze last night here in the "tropical south", she has not shown any hypersensitivity to the cold.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Stripeyfan

What is your boy on pred for? Kelly has been on it since March for his IBD, albeit on a very low dose now (every 3rd day) and it certainly made him more sensitive to the heat over the summer. He was extremely poorly back in the Spring and now the weather's colder again, I've noticed he's much more sensitive to cold now too - he has to wear jammies at night or he wakes us up because he's cold. However I think this is because he was ill rather than the pred. Is it possible your boy feels the cold more because he's under the weather?

What is your boy on pred for? Kelly has been on it since March for his IBD, albeit on a very low dose now (every 3rd day) and it certainly made him more sensitive to the heat over the summer. He was extremely poorly back in the Spring and now the weather's colder again, I've noticed he's much more sensitive to cold now too - he has to wear jammies at night or he wakes us up because he's cold. However I think this is because he was ill rather than the pred. Is it possible your boy feels the cold more because he's under the weather?

He is on pred to help shrink a tumor he is having taken out on the 6th, he is on 30mg twice a day. beyonnd be the usual thirsty and having to pee a lot, i don't think he si feeling to poorly.

i have had numerous dogs on and off of pred. over the years, never encountered that reaction. i will say that my addisonian had absoutley no tolerance to weather changes, be it hot or cold(pred. is one of the meds used to treat addison's). that goes w/ the disease(my supervisor at work has it and her thermostat is not functioning), they just can't regulate their body tempt. do call your vet, and maybe take your pup's tempt- it never hurts(i use a digital rectal thermometer- it's really fast).

Good idea to check his temp.

I called the vet today and he said it wasn't a normal reaction but didn't say to stop it (all this by relay by his office staff). He is having some yelping followed by his seizure episodes that have suddenly increased too so i am calling the vet tomorrow morning to speak directly to him about this.

Hi Carol,

No pred experience with that reaction, but just wanted you to know that is how Wink reacts to pain (shivering/shaking, trancing and weird yelping for what seems no reason). Could he be in any pain due to his tumor? Please give the handsome FedX a kiss for us.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Sometimes FedX will shake in reaction to pain but that usually takes on a similar form to his seizures. This was definatly shivering i'm afraid. Since breaking out his 'heavy/warm' coat and keeping his PJ's on in the hosue he has been ok shiver wise. I have a call into the vet anyway as his seizures have become twice a day (not sure if it is pain related or pred related or something else). Too many issues! :)

I will pass out many kisses to fedx for you Liz :)

Just in case anyone reads this in the future....

So the vet said to stop the pred. he and his colleagues don't know why the pred would increase/precipitate seizures or cold sesitivity, btu either way it isn't a good reaction. So we have stopped the pred and so far so good....onward to surgery on the 6th!