Neyla

I know not all of you regularly read the osteo thread so I wanted to start a separate thread to share that I will be letting Neyla go tomorrow. I don't know when I'll be able to post in remembrance so I thought I would at least post now.

It's become apparent that she is no longer able to do the things she loves most so on Saturday I made the decision to let her go this week before I head home to Pgh for Christmas. Unfortunately my plan to give her a few really good solidly pain free days by boosting her Deramaxx didn't pan out, which is really unfortunate but reinforces that I am making the right decision as it appears her tumor is progressing more rapidly now.

Even though I knew this day would come, this decline happened so fast and I wasn't able to stay ahead of it like I would have liked. Still, she is able to rest comfortably and is still giving me her bedroom eyes if I stop petting her for even a moment (which isn't happening much this week). The vet who is coming to my home can't come until 8 or 8:30 tomorrow night so I'm going to do my best to just enjoy my last day with Neyla and not break down too often for her sake.

The Sunday before last was 7 months since Neyla was diagnosed. It's been very difficult in a lot of ways, but I am so grateful that up until just the last week or two, Neyla was able to play and be herself, for the most part pain free and without limitation. I know we are so very lucky to have had that time, even if it doesn't provide any reassurance now. Anyway, thank you so much to everyone who has offered us support throughout this fight. I really could not have survived this without you. :bighug

A few recent pics of my girl that I haven't shared yet:

NeylaMiscJuly2010002.jpg

NeylaWideAngleToy007.jpg

NeylaBluePig004.jpg

NeylaYard111410003edit.jpg

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you are having to let her go and I do understand how much you never wanted that day to arrive.

There are no magical words to make it all better. You are doing the right thing for her, of course. My heart truly goes out to you and Neyla.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Oh, I'm so sorry to read this... she is beautiful. Thank you for all your loving care for her and for all of us who have lost a dog to OS or are fighting it now. May peace be with you both.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

:grouphug

it never is an easy decision to come to, but please know it's made in love.

Be strong and know we are all here for you :grouphug

I'm so very sorry for both of you. She's just lovely and has the most fabulous earsies!

And the picture with her hedgehog = priceless. Her soul is there for everyone to see.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest lovemyhounds

I am so sad to read this and sorry for all that you two are going through. Neyla is so lucky to have you as a mom...through your posts, we have all felt your love and devotion to her. You have taken such good care of her and always put her well being first, especially in your decision about tomorrow. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

May you be strong tomorrow, spoil your precious Neyla and enjoy your special time.

Thinking of you both :grouphug .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest 4rooers

I know how hard this is, try to remember you are giving Neyla the gift of being pain free. Its never easy, but then love never is.

Hugs for you both,

Kim

Tell Neyla to look for Rippa, she'll be the one bossing everyone around.

:brokenheart Jen, I'm so sorry this sad time has come. You have always fought so hard for Neyla. The two of you will be in my thoughts today. Thank you for sharing the newest pictures of your beautiful girl.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Jen, I'll be thinking of you and Neyla.

Kathy

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)