Pet Insurance

Guest Chucko

I do like that medications are included with Trupanion, and no increase in premium due to age. But I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I want to be sure I pick the one that fits me best, and I want to be ready to enroll shortly after I get my Hound.

I'm very curious to hear how Trupanion's premium compares to Embrace. Can you share that when you get quotes? I tried to get a quote for Lucy to compare the two (since I like that their premiums don't increase w/age), but they're not licensed in my state (CT) so they couldn't give me a quote.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest zoolaine

I had Petfirst and liked them but their per incident limits are just too low. When Sunny was diagnosed with cancer we went through the $2500 in about 3 visits to the oncologist. I switched everyone over to PetPlan and they were good. About 3 months after switching Briley tore his ACL and had surgery over $3000 and I got my reimbursement check from PetPlan within a week! (he was on the $200 deductible/20% co-pay plan but has since moved up to better coverage) But I decided to switch the greyhounds over to Trupanion to lock in the rate. Whatever age your dog is when they enroll is what rate they pay as long as they are insured. So basically Zali will pay the 2 year old rate even when she is older. I still have PetPlan for my older dogs and I like how you have a few more options with them as far as coverage/co-pays/deductibles. But both Trupanion and PetPlan seem like good choices. Oh PetPlan will also give you a list of what will be excluded from your pets policy so you don't have a big surprise when you try to submit a claim. After enrolling and sending in medical records they will review everything. I think they were quite fair about exclusions. Danica for instance had a scratch/injury to her left eye right after coming home - so anything to that eye is excluded BUT if 1 year after the incident the vet documents that the eye is fine then I can have the exclusion removed. I looked at Embrace and it was a lot more expensive for us.

I do like that medications are included with Trupanion, and no increase in premium due to age. But I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I want to be sure I pick the one that fits me best, and I want to be ready to enroll shortly after I get my Hound.

I'm very curious to hear how Trupanion's premium compares to Embrace. Can you share that when you get quotes? I tried to get a quote for Lucy to compare the two (since I like that their premiums don't increase w/age), but they're not licensed in my state (CT) so they couldn't give me a quote.

The quote I got from their website for a 2 year old Greyhound with $100 deductible was $34.44. You may be able to use them, I tried a CT zip code tonight to see if things changed, they list a phone number to call. May be worth a look for you. I am also going to call my Vet tomorrow to ask him about the companies they deal with and his experiences with them, and to ask his recommendations. I am also going to talk to them about the use of alternative therapy and see what his thoughts are in case I want or may need to use Embrace. I will let everyone know what I find out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chucko

I have been looking and just signed up on dogster for the Trupanion 60 day trial. I even called Trupanion to get some answers. The per incident deductible, doesn't matter how many trips to the vet it takes. The lady on the phone told me, for example, if my dog gets diabeties, one deductible payment covers every trip to the vet for the diabeties for life. I thought that was great, I thought the deductible was for every trip to the vet. The trial does have the 5 day accident and 30 day illness waiting period though. OH, I downloaded a sample policy from Trupanion's website, under "4. General Conditions" I found this: "f. You must be the owner of the insured pet(s). If the pet owner dies, becomes unable to care for the insured pet(s), or passes the ownership of the insured pet(s), the coverage may continue without interruption, if approved in writing by us, subject to all other terms and conditions of this policy." That could be real nice for Adoption Groups.

Chucko