Yogurt

Guest leemc

I was eating yogurt the other day and Gracie was VERY interested. I gave her the last spoonful and she loved it. Ever since then whenever someone in the house eats a yogurt ( or even go-gurts for the kids) she begs for some. I was wondering how people feel about giving yogurt. How much and how often??? Thanks

Guest Energy11

We give PLAIN unflavored non fat yogurt ever day in our greys' food, in their nighttime meals. I usually give a heaping tablespoon, and they love it.

Sometimes, they get the peach or strawberry flavors as well. You just have to be careful NOT to feel the yogurts with the artificial sweetners.

Good Luck!

Guest KennelMom

It probably won't cause any problems in small amounts, though some dogs can be very lactose intolerant. I'd stick with plain yogurt and avoid any "candy" yogurts sweetened, esp with HFCS or any artificial sweetners. Of course, I recommend that for people too. No idea what a "go gurt" is...that word kinda scares me :lol

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Swifthounds

What Heather said.

You need to be careful to avoid artificial sweeteners, and be aware that many dogs exhibit some level of lactose intolerance.It adds a bit of calcium to the diet (so you don't want to add too much) as well as a LOT of sugar and a good amount of carbs. No real benefit other than "treat factor" as any beneficial bacteria don't survive contact with a dog's gastric juices.

Guest Shermanator

We fed Sherman and Patton yogurt almost every night. Plain, non-fat yogurt, a big spoonful on their kibble. They LOVED it, and it was FANTASTIC is helping clear up their farts of death. :) We'd always know when we were out of yogurt, and the boys hadn't had some in a while- their farts would start to get really BAD.

:)

Echo LOVES yogurt, but we cannot get good, solid poo from her, so we are holding off on it. Miss Travel is the pickiest eater I have ever seen, and is having none of it. :)

Lots of people on GT swear yogurt reduces gas; I'd personally just give probiotics (in powder form) if I thought my dog needed them! But yogurt gives my hound diarrhea! I found that out when it was recommended I give it to him while he was on antibiotics. And some antibiotics are actually not to be taken with dairy.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

We also "swear" by the PLAIN unflavored non-fat yogurt in our dogs' nightly meal (they get two meals a day). As everyone has mentioned above, AVOID the artificial sweetened ones, sugary ones, and the artifically colored ones. Mine LOVE the plain :-)

VERY few "farts" here. We also add plain, unflavored pumpkin to both their meals.

No idea what a "go gurt" is...that word kinda scares me :lol

LOL thats funny!! Go-gurt is sweetened yogurt in a "to go" squirt pouch, kinda looks like an ice pop. We freeze them and my daughter has them as a snack.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

Guest zombrie

We also "swear" by the PLAIN unflavored non-fat yogurt in our dogs' nightly meal (they get two meals a day). As everyone has mentioned above, AVOID the artificial sweetened ones, sugary ones, and the artifically colored ones. Mine LOVE the plain :-)

VERY few "farts" here. We also add plain, unflavored pumpkin to both their meals.

:nod

We swear by it here, too! The dogs are obsessed with it, it is their all time favorite treat. And we know if they miss their daily treat :sick

Plain yogurt is Beth's favorite food group -- not sure how I'd get her off the bed for 'last call' without it! She's very conditioned to the clank of the spoon on her bowl. :rolleyes: We share the same expensive organic local low carb yogurt (Kalona SuperNaturals, awesome if you can find it) -- she definitely doesn't like cheap store nonfat stuff as well, and I won't eat that either, so.... I don't really measure, she gets maybe a few tablespoons a day.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Lila gets a spoonful of plain, non-fat yogurt on her food. She loves it! I don't know if she gets any benefit from it, but she is less stinky. :P I also let her lick the lid from my flavoured ones if she is around when I am eating it.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest Profgumby

Go Gurt = Crap in a sleeve. I don't let my kids eat it and I would not feed it or any "Kids" yogurt to a hound!

Ours get the nonfat plain which is just dandy for them. The local food store has the Dannon so that's what the dogs get.

For myself though it is Stoneyfiled Farms full fat, plain, cream on the top or organic lowfat plain or organic greek yogurt. I would certainly give that to the girls but it is far too expensive compared to the Dannon. (I don't like the taste so much so I don't eat it unless in a pinch)

I rotate the girls between canned pumpkin, white and brown jasmine rice and yogurt.

BTW, Cheddar cheese apparently give our greys paint peeler farts, so they only get that as a treat when I am leaving them home with the family.... :P

Edited by Profgumby

Enzo gets plain nonfat greek-style yogurt with every meal. I'll swear by it too - way less farty-ness when he's getting yogurt.

Is a dog's stomach acid stronger than a human's? If it's similar, then most pro-biotics found in yogurt have a special coating on the cell that survives and is beneficial to the gut and really would actually help them.

Guest Swifthounds

Enzo gets plain nonfat greek-style yogurt with every meal. I'll swear by it too - way less farty-ness when he's getting yogurt.

Is a dog's stomach acid stronger than a human's? If it's similar, then most pro-biotics found in yogurt have a special coating on the cell that survives and is beneficial to the gut and really would actually help them.

Yes, roughly 3 times. They don't chew and grind food the way humans do, so they don't produce digestive enzymes in their saliva- all of the work takes place in the stomach and below.

We fed Sherman and Patton yogurt almost every night. Plain, non-fat yogurt, a big spoonful on their kibble. They LOVED it, and it was FANTASTIC is helping clear up their farts of death. :) We'd always know when we were out of yogurt, and the boys hadn't had some in a while- their farts would start to get really BAD.

Echo LOVES yogurt, but we cannot get good, solid poo from her, so we are holding off on it. Miss Travel is the pickiest eater I have ever seen, and is having none of it. :)

I just heard to give them so pumpkin pie filling for loose stools. They said one meal and you can tell a difference, their poo will be solid! My grey won't eat it though~

Guest FullMetalFrank

All of mine love yogurt; we give plain low or non fat. I have made homemade yogurt for them in the past, as well. None of mine are lactose intolerant and it does seem to help with the gas. Not foolproof but it does seem that if we run out of yogurt the gas is back! Mine just get a tablespoon or so on their lunchtime meal.

Guest Swifthounds

I just heard to give them so pumpkin pie filling for loose stools. They said one meal and you can tell a difference, their poo will be solid! My grey won't eat it though~

Not pumpkin pie filling, but regular, unspiced canned pumpkin. All it basically does is add a bit of fiber in a form that smells like junk food to dogs. You'd get the same effect adding a similar amount of fiber to the meal or by slowing the GI tract a la immodium or slippery elm bark. None of those should be used as a dialy thing, because they tend to mask symptoms and bandaid a problem by preventing the body from expelling irritants. However, in times of stress or illness they're fine for short periods. My preference would still be the slippery elm bark, because it soothes the gut.

Try to use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. It is good if they have loose stools or too hard of a stool.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

• 4 weeks later...
Guest starrmom

I was eating yogurt the other day and Gracie was VERY interested. I gave her the last spoonful and she loved it. Ever since then whenever someone in the house eats a yogurt ( or even go-gurts for the kids) she begs for some. I was wondering how people feel about giving yogurt. How much and how often??? Thanks

Guest starrmom

Every afternoon when I get home from work, I get the Bambi eyes: supper?? supper??? Is supper coming??? The great majority of their dinner (and breakfast) is kibble. They get a small scoop of cooked vegetables and brown rice mixed in. Chow it down, big time!! Then, in a New York minute, they're back in the kitchen, again with the goober-look--dessert?? dessert??? Is dessert next??? Then I give them a good 1/4 c. of plain (Publix brand) yoghurt in their bowls. They lick the bowls so clean, I'm tempted to just put the bowls up without even washing them. Since they've been snarking down the yoghurt after dinner, the rumbing tummies, diarrhea and ookie tummy sounds have stopped.

Every afternoon when I get home from work, I get the Bambi eyes: supper?? supper??? Is supper coming??? The great majority of their dinner (and breakfast) is kibble. They get a small scoop of cooked vegetables and brown rice mixed in. Chow it down, big time!! Then, in a New York minute, they're back in the kitchen, again with the goober-look--dessert?? dessert??? Is dessert next??? Then I give them a good 1/4 c. of plain (Publix brand) yoghurt in their bowls. They lick the bowls so clean, I'm tempted to just put the bowls up without even washing them. Since they've been snarking down the yoghurt after dinner, the rumbing tummies, diarrhea and ookie tummy sounds have stopped.