Need Good Canned Food For Girl With No Chewing Teeth

Guest arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

My senior girl has very few teeth left in her head. All she had now are 3 canines and her top very front teeth minus one. She has no molars or bicuspids. I could use some recommendations for some really good canned food. What is everyone feeding their toothless ones? :)

Guest Energy11

Poor baby!

MINE LOVE Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior canned. I mix it with the kibble by the same people. It is loaded with different kinds of meats, veggies, and, I think, some fruits! Good Luck!

Kerri is my little toothless wonder, she has 3 little teeth left in her mouth, no molars or chewing teeth. She just had 9 teeth removed in Sept. including all her canines. I fed her kibble soaked in water until it was soft and mushy, mixed in a little canned food. The brands of can I use are Verus, Merrick and California Natural. Now that her mouth is healed, she eats her kibble moisten a little, not mushy, she doesn't like it mushy, and a little canned mixed in. She eats better now than she ever did :lol Good Luck with your little one :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest borzoix4

I see you are in NC. One of the best, but raw food, would be perfect should you wish to go this route. It is also the only raw dog food that is approved by the USDA as using only inspected meats, and each log is guarrenteed to have the same nutritional value etc. The food is k9 Cravings and have used it several times, like with a puppy, or say an older dog that I wanted all the nutrition but not able to have all the ingredients needed for raw be consumed.

Here is the link http://www.k-9kraving.com/ and you probably have a distributor in your area or close enough.

Another good one is Sojo's Complete. I use that if traveling and refrigeration is hard to do raw diet. All you need is a measuring cup, water, and tupperware. However- it can be a little soupy if not soaked a good solid 12 hours, so add some instant mash pototo flakes and that solves that problem. http://www.sojos.com/complete.html

Edited by borzoix4

Guest arlosmom

Poor baby!

MINE LOVE Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior canned. I mix it with the kibble by the same people. It is loaded with different kinds of meats, veggies, and, I think, some fruits! Good Luck!

I did get some of that for her and she did like it. It is not convenient to get but not terrible way across town at the Farm Supply Store. They don't have it at any of our pet food stores.

Guest Energy11

Poor baby!

I did get some of that for her and she did like it. It is not convenient to get but not terrible way across town at the Farm Supply Store. They don't have it at any of our pet food stores.

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER! I live in the middle of NOWHERE, and use this company exclusively! I love them! Good Luck! They are reasonable and convenient. http://www.petflow.com/

You can use regular kibble and soften it by adding water. That what my old girl eats. She loves Taste Of The Wild and I just add water and let it get really soft before she eats.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest arlosmom

Poor baby!

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER! I live in the middle of NOWHERE, and use this company exclusively! I love them! Good Luck! They are reasonable and convenient. http://www.petflow.com/

WoW! they have everything! Thanks!

Guest Energy11

Poor baby!

WoW! they have everything! Thanks!

I LOVE THESE PEOPLE! And, the customer service is AMAZING! If you want, say Dee McKimmey recommended you, and I get a small "commission," but that is NOT why I use them. They ARE truly AWESOME! :-))) Glad to help! AND, they donate to a local cat and dog shelter on Long Island, too :-))

You can use regular kibble and soften it by adding water. That what my old girl eats. She loves Taste Of The Wild and I just add water and let it get really soft before she eats.

I have "gulpers," here ... UGH! Anyway, we soak ALL four's food. Now, Cari??? She really is FINICKY, AND I MEAN, FINICKY! She likes her kibble DRY! Go figure! :huh

Edited by Energy11

George doesn't chew his food at all, and you could just let her kibble get soft with water, or you could grind it up.

I had a cat loose all the same teeth, and never changed his diet. He did just fine. Fact is, he wouldn't eat anything BUT kibble. I think you might be surprised what a non issue it is for her once her gums are heeled.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KennelMom

our toothless wonders always ate the same kibble as the rest of the crew. Doesn't even need to be softened. And depending on kibble size you may not want to let it puff up too big with water. Wet food seemed to frustrate them more than kibble b/c it'd get mushed down in to the crevices of the bowl.

Dogs don't need to chew their food. Their digestion starts in the stomach, unlike humans who chew food because our digestion starts in the mouth.

Guest Swifthounds

My nearly toothless girl (4 canines and a random premolar) eats everything the others eat. My crew is raw fed and so she has eaten everything from kibble to steak to chicken leg quarters with no problem. If it's kibble, canned, or ground meat, they don't chew it anyway.

That's what I was thinking. I always do this after a dental with extractions, and have never had trouble.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest borzoix4

That's what I was thinking. I always do this after a dental with extractions, and have never had trouble.

I would think so as well. Since dogs are gobblers ie swollow their food in gulps, if soft it would make it easier to do so.

Guest arlosmom

She truly is a gobbler and is always hungry. I am so amazed at how old she is and how she would eat till she blew up to the size of a cow. I guess I will stick to her kibble softened with water (she eats Kirklands from Costco and add the canned Chicken Soup or Wellness to her kibble.

• 2 weeks later...

our toothless wonders always ate the same kibble as the rest of the crew. Doesn't even need to be softened. And depending on kibble size you may not want to let it puff up too big with water. Wet food seemed to frustrate them more than kibble b/c it'd get mushed down in to the crevices of the bowl.

Dogs don't need to chew their food. Their digestion starts in the stomach, unlike humans who chew food because our digestion starts in the mouth.

I'm glad you posted this. :lol I read the original post and thought "do other people's dogs actually CHEW kibble?" :huh I've never seen a greyhound, either mine or fosters - chew kibble! :lol

I DO put a bit of water in the kibble, because my Diana hacks and gags horribly if I don't, so I just do it for all dogs (everyone generally gets the same here).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you posted this. :lol I read the original post and thought "do other people's dogs actually CHEW kibble?" :huh I've never seen a greyhound, either mine or fosters - chew kibble! :lol

I DO put a bit of water in the kibble, because my Diana hacks and gags horribly if I don't, so I just do it for all dogs (everyone generally gets the same here).

:lol I was thinking the same thing. Bella would cough and hack so we switched to a smaller size kibble and add a couple of cups of water. I don't take the time to let it soften, but with the water she just laps it up and doesn't have choking/coughing issues. No chewing happening at all.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

If you grind/chop up the kibble be careful. It it is finely ground it can impact in their bowels. Had it happen to one of my dogs years ago.

june

My toothless wonder is Cal, who has only her four canines. She gets regular kibble with water. I don't wait for it to soften, although given the mechanics of feeding 9 dogs, it usually does sit for a couple of minutes or so. She's on a restricted diet at the moment, so her treats consist of a few pieces of dry kibble.

Edie also has very few teeth left--certainly not enough to grind up kibble--and she gets the same.

When I was feeding different treats to Cal, I used one of the rolls--Natural Balance or Rollover.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My new boy, Kevin, eats Honest Kitchen (mostly Embark). It's a dehydrated raw food. You mix the dry stuff with warm water until it achieves an oatmeal consistency. Leave it to sit 10 minutes. You can supplement with eggs, cottage cheese, sardines, etc. In fact, the manufacturer encourages some supplementation. My boy is only 3 and has movie star teeth but he loves it. We've had him just over three weeks now. He came to us eating hamburger and potato because kibble gave him the big D. Trying to add-in kibble gives him gas so we're not sure what we'll do ultimately but are sticking with this food for now and he's doing well. Gained 5lbs in 2 weeks. And good stools and low gas for the most part. So I thought I would share with you if it can help your girl even though we haven't used it for long ourselves. Plus, I spent days (literally) researching what to feed him. Someone else should benefit from my efforts! PM me if you want my reasoning as to why I chose it. You can drive yourself nuts with choosing a food. Good luck to you and Cal!

finalsiggy.jpg

if you dog has puked, haven't you ever looked at what they reguritate a couple of hours later??? WHOLE KIBBLE!

Lizzie had 11 of hers pulled a couple of months ago. After a day or two, she was right back into her kibble mixed with my home cooked chicken and vegetables and hot water. She's never been a really good eater (walks away from breakfast 2 or 3 times a week). Around Thanksgiving, I ran out of my home cooked and had to pick up something quick at Food Lion. The best I could find was Purina One Chicken and Rice. The other four will eat anything but Lizzie LOVED it. That's what she gets now mixed in with her kibble and very, very rarely skips a meal. It's not the canned food I would have chosen but if she'll eat it, it's all good.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest ChasesMum

LOL my George chewed his kibble. it would take him FOREVER to eat, and DH fed them at 5:30 when he got up. It wasnt until his last coupld weeks when he was not eating well that we'd toss a handful of kibble in and feed him a home cooked meal later. Why we didnt think of it earlier, and do that for the year preceeding, I'll never know! :blush