Happy Thanksgiving- With Fleas

Guest daberle

Guest daberle

I won't be going to any black friday sales because I will be defleaing the house and pets. :angryfire

I've been using Frontline Plus on my pets but it doesn't appear to work.

I haven't seen any fleas on the pets but I'm getting bit up like crazy.

(no bedbugs)My legs and arms look like one big bruise from itching.

At first I thought I had a reaction to my laundry,dish, bath soap.Lately I've been

doing a double cycle on laundry.

I'll be going to the vet on friday to get the flea bomb and taking my dogs to get flea baths.

Then the huge task of washing everything and vacuuming.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what flea soap to use for greyhounds?

Thanks for any help and Happy Thanksgiving and happy shopping! :colgate

Danette

Guest Energy11

Adams makes a decent flea soap.

Sorry you have a flea problem, especially where you live!

I'd wash them, and give it a day, and mist them with the Adams Flea and Tick mist.

You also need to treat the house and bedding. Fleas bite! (*literally and figuratively)! :angry:

p.s. we haven't had A FLEA here, and ALL I use is the Adams Flea and Tick MIst! You can get it at any Wal-,mart... good luck!

Edited by Energy11

I can't help you but I'd highly recommending switching from Frontline. I've heard so many people on forums and in person discussing its lack of effectiveness. The two which everyone seems to have the best luck with is Advantage and Revolution. I use Revolution myself with Summer and it is great. No fleas and I live in a flea town. I have used Advantage in the past with other breeds and it also did great. The only I switched to Revolution is because the internal parasite preventative is part of Revolution's formula, where with Advantage I had to also give HeartGard.

Good luck! I had fleas once (before I discovered Advantage) and I can feel your pain!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest daberle

I guess I should feel lucky this is the first time I've had

a flea problem.

I'm going to talk with the vet on what flea product I should

switch to. Once we have a few hard frosts I stop us the product until

spring.

Danette

Edited by daberle

Guest Energy11

I LOVE the Adams Flea and Tick Mist, and we have had NO fleas for the past three years here in the N. Georgia Mountains. I hear Comfortis is also a good product! GOOD LUCK!!!

I'm going to talk with the vet on what flea product I should switch to.

Also ask your neighbors what they're using successfully. Sometimes fleas seem to build up a resistance to a particular flea preventative, so see what's working well in your neighborhood.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Are you sure it's fleas? Put on some white socks and walk around your house. Check the dogs around the base of the tail for flea dirt. If you've got 'em, you'll see 'em.

We have not had any trouble with Frontline here.

Many years ago in another house, we did have a problem with dust mites, to which several of us were madly allergic.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest fandogs

If you bathe the dog(s) in ivory liquid, leave the suds on for a few minutes.. rinse. That kills fleas.. and is mild on the dog.

I also suggest Comfortis.. might be a little pricey.. but we haven't had fleas in 4 years. I love the stuff.. (BTW, once the flea cycle is broken, takes about 3 months) we were able to stop giving the Comfortis. Still no fleas.

Good luck.. they are a terrible problem.

I suggest De Flea shampoo, Advantage, Adams spray and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum for the next 42 days. We live in FL where fleas are a problem 24/7..

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest daberle

I have walked around with white socks haven't seen anythign but I have wood floors with mostly small area rugs.

My vet doesn't like the flea bombs since I have wood floors I can wash the dogs beds and rugs, bedding

and the dogs have been frontlined and just use a spray product on my two larger area rugs/couch.

If your legs (and more importantly arms) are that bad I'd seriously doubt fleas are the culprit, especially if you haven't seen them on the dogs.

As stated, look for flea dirt near the tail and roll the lighter ones over and look for fleas in the groin area.

If it is fleas Adams shampoo and spray work wonders. If you don't have ticks Advantage works better than Frontline.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Stripeyfan

Years ago (before we had a dog), we lived in a little flat and there was this cat that kept getting in. Lovely cat but... crawling with fleas! The worst of it was that they got into our boots and shoes. I found a really good way to get rid of them (apart from using loads of nasty chemicals) was to wipe stuff down with some lavender aromatherapy oil on cotton wool - fleas hate the stuff. So maybe you could try a mild, lavender-oil based shampoo on the dogs and some sort of lavender spray for the wood floors? Lavender's one of the 'safe' oils (like tea tree) that humans can use on bare skin, so it should be ok for the dogs too as long as it's very dilute (we use tea tree oil shampoo for Kelly).

Good luck!

Guest PhillyPups

I, too, wpuld think if it is fleas they would definitely be on the dogs before biting you, or maybe the frontline is working on them.

Fleas can get in the furniture fabrics too.

Good luck. Throw a white paper towel on one of the rugs. A flea will jump on the white.

Again, it does not sound like fleas to me. :dunno

Guest daberle

The dogs and cat have been frontlined. I've looked for bedbugs its not that.My cat is a mainecoon and has lots and lots of hair and was combed by the vet last month with no dirt. I haven't been bit the last 2nights but it seems that when I do get bit its when Im in bed. After I washed the bedding the dogs haven't been allowed on the my bed.

My sister wondered since its getting cold here if its isn't small spiders.. oh god Im in a horror movie.

If it is fleas, they need to take capstar by mouth and Advanage topically. Good luck. We are going through it too.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest daberle

I'm taking one of my dogs in today to the vet for something unrelated I will them comb her.

I've even decided to take my feather mattress of the bed to see if that is whats causing it.. tho

its in a zipped cover and I've had it for over a yr with no problems.

I have to be careful of what products I used I break out if it has a lot of perfume this is why

I'm careful with laundry and bath soaps.

They've just been frontlined in the last week so I can't reapply anything.

Guest mcsheltie

If it is fleas, don't bother to flea bomb. It is a waste of money. They don't work well.

You are right, since you applied Frontline you can't use anything else for four weeks except Capstar. Which will kill the adults on the pets for 24 hours.

This is a non-toxic effective way to battle fleas. To stop an infestation you want to give Capstar to each pet every 48 hours for week and spray your house (everywhere) with Archer (insect growth regulator) That will take care of the adults and any eggs will be sterile. You want to vacuum every day. OSU did a study a few years ago (I think it was 2007, but don't quote me on that) and fleas are killed by vacuuming. In a bit less than 21 days the eggs that are in house now will hatch so you will need to give Capstar again for a week. But since you have applied the IGR any eggs they produce will not hatch and you will stop the cycle.

Archer is the best IGR to use because it is photo-stable and will last in the environment for almost six months. Others degrade quickly in sunlight. It is non-toxic to mammals (even cats!) Capstar has also never had a side affect. Good stuff.

In the meantime you need to figure out how they are getting in your house. For instance one time people coming to look at puppies brought them into my house. Another year squirrels in the yard were the source.

The next time you are due for their monthly flea treatment go with Revolution (which also includes heartworm preventative) or Comfortis

Edited by mcsheltie

In the meantime you need to figure out how they are getting in your house. For instance one time people coming to look at puppies brought them into my house. Another year squirrels in the yard were the source.

Which is why treating the yard makes is not a greyt idea. Something out there is going to have fleas.

I too heard that vacuuming is a good way to rid the carpets of eggs, etc.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Keystone

I won't be going to any black friday sales because I will be defleaing the house and pets. :angryfire

I've been using Frontline Plus on my pets but it doesn't appear to work.

I haven't seen any fleas on the pets but I'm getting bit up like crazy.

(no bedbugs)My legs and arms look like one big bruise from itching.

At first I thought I had a reaction to my laundry,dish, bath soap.Lately I've been

doing a double cycle on laundry.

I'll be going to the vet on friday to get the flea bomb and taking my dogs to get flea baths.

Then the huge task of washing everything and vacuuming.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what flea soap to use for greyhounds?

Thanks for any help and Happy Thanksgiving and happy shopping! :colgate

Danette

At the advice of our vet we are now using Frontline Plus monthly and COMFORTIS. This is a pill given once a month, and it works internally. For two months since we started with the comfortis, we are flea free. Wash the dogs twice or three times in a few weeks with flea shampoo, let it marinate on them for five minutes before rinsing it off. Sweep your house daily, especially dog beds, etc. and throw away the filter bag every time.

Guest daberle

My female didn't have flea dirt, they looked for whats called walking dandruff- its a mite she didn't have that.

Since Sat I've been washing all outter cover of dog beds, washed all the throw rugs(still down in the basement). The cats been frontlined and the dogs were just done a week or so ago. Since I have wood floors I've swept and will vacaum the 2 large area rugs and will spray the rugs, couch etc. with the stuff the vet gave me.

Many people on this thread use Comfortis(I've never heard of it) my vet doesn't carry it since my dogs will need to be

defleaed mthy Where is the best place to order this? Does Comfortis work the same way as Capstar (I have this)

Thanks,

Danette

Edited by daberle

Guest daberle

What a day. I vacumed and sprayed 2 area rugs/couch etc with Virbac Knockout ES spray (from the vet). Washed everything and steamed the floors. THe dogs have been capstared. I didn't find anynew bites on me this morning but didn't have a very good nite sleep either. I'm down right tired now Im going to have a beer and have some dinner.

Guest taylorsmom

I definitely feel your pain, we had a horrible flea infestation this past August and it was just awful. I got Comfortis from 800PetMeds online, and also used Vectra topical for two months after the major infestation. Now we maintain with Comfortis on the dogs and Revolution on the cats. The worst infestation was on the cats, and the worst situation was that one of my cats managed to work her way INTO the boxspring of my bed and must have been leaving fleas in there as well. I woke up one morning with at least 50 flea bites on my belly! Just awful. Things did not clear up significantly until I vacuumed and sprayed the inside of the boxspring and then re-tacked it with a sheet.