Nature's Logic

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

A friend asked me about Nature's Logic I have looked into it and have talked to the owner of the company (and liked what I heard) He used to own Nature's Variety. But when the company wanted to go in a direction he did not agree with, he sold his interest and started Nature's Logic.

It is the only pet food that can say they use no synthetic vitamin & minerals. All nutrients come from food sources. Research I have been doing is leading to links of synthetic vitamins to cancer and renal disease. And of course we all know nutriton from food is more bio available than man-made nutrients.

Has anyone here fed this?

Guest mcsheltie

It "sounds" good...

Edit.: Was just reading the kibble contents. "Fat" is, like, the 3rd ingredient. I find that concerning.

Why would that be a problem? The fat content is 18% same as in TOTW. That is not particularity high. Fat could be the third ingredient and only be 1% if the meat & carb source equaled 99% of the content.

Guest Swifthounds

I don't think the fat being listed highly is a problem. In fact, I take it as a sign that the company might be in the vicinity of having a clue about what dogs are and how they work. I'm more concerned that millet is ranked so highly in the list. Fat isn't bad for dogs anymore than it's bad for humans - which is not really at all.

I wouldn't go back to feeding junk carbs and grains or vegetation, but I understand that those are part and parcel of being able to "kibble" an ingredient list and to get the rediculous AAFCO ok, which is useless nutritionally, but essential in marketing widely. As kibbles go, this doesn't look bad.

The raw diets don't look bad either - for pre-fab. I don't see why they need half of what's in there other than for approval and marketing, but overall pretty good for pre-fab and veggies.

I think the fact that the listing is "fat," not a specific source. If it were me, a generic source would be a flag. Which animal? Does it vary from batch to batch?

Now, that's assuming it is generically listed like that. I find the ingredients so hard to read, that I cannot find it. If it's a specified source, then fine.

ETA: I see chicken fat, so being a specific source, that makes it fine by me. All foods I have ever fed have some specified source of fat (usually chicken), and IMHO, it's a good thing! Essential, as a matter of fact.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I have recently begun cooking chicken to add to my girlie's kibble. They love it, of course. What caught my attention was the discussion about fat. After cooking the chicken I've been skimming off the fat, removing the bones and the skin. I was afraid too much fat might cause GI problems. So far I'm only adding about 1/4 cup of the cooked chicken and broth to the reduced amount of kibble for each dog. Two weeks into this new diet and their stools are looking good and we all are happy. I would welcome any suggestions or comments.

Thanks

june

Guest mcsheltie

I have recently begun cooking chicken to add to my girlie's kibble. They love it, of course. What caught my attention was the discussion about fat. After cooking the chicken I've been skimming off the fat, removing the bones and the skin. I was afraid too much fat might cause GI problems. So far I'm only adding about 1/4 cup of the cooked chicken and broth to the reduced amount of kibble for each dog. Two weeks into this new diet and their stools are looking good and we all are happy. I would welcome any suggestions or comments.

Thanks

june

When adding fresh food to kibble you want to keep it at the 25% mark, otherwise you will throw the mineral balance off. Other than that, have at it :)

Your dogs should not have any trouble with the chicken unless one of them has an intolerance to fat. The only way to know that is to try it and see. Go slowly and add more fat each time you make them chicken. With your goal being feeding "as is". It would be so much easier if the only thing you had to do was pull out the bones. I like to keep things as simple as possible!

Thanks for the information about the 25%. They each get about 1 1/4 cup of kibble with 1/4 cup of fresh twice daily. I'll start leaving a little skin and fat in and see how they do. I may cut back the total amount on one of my girlies because she tends to put on weight easily (just like me). I like adding the cooked chicken because it is a better quality of protein. I don't want to get into having to add vitamins. Keep it simple is my motto as much as I can.

Thanks again,

june