Smacking Her Lips?

Bella has always had a bed for her to sleep on in our bedroom, even though she usually sleeps on her bed in the living room downstairs. In the past month she has come up in the middle of the night to sleep in our bedroom, in her bed, about 3 times only which is ok with us. However, when she is settling in (after doing 1 billion cirlces), she starts to smack her lips...meaning opening her mouth and closing it, several times for at least 2-3 minutes. This keeps us up at night. I'm just curious, do your greyhounds do this? Is there any reason to it? At first I thought she was thirsty...but her water bowl was full :blink:

I know I can just close the door, fyi. This thread is more of a "why do they do that" rather then "stop doing that!" lol

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest Bang_o_rama

Bang is a cacophony of odd sounds, especially when asleep; yips, grunts, groans, sighs, chatters, whuffles and yes, something that sounds like lip/cheek smacking.

~D~

Nedra smacks her lips when she wants a treat. Delta smacks her lips in her sleep. They are the first two hounds I've had that I've experienced that particular sound with.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest auforygirl

Is her tongue licking her lips or nose? My girl smacks her lips when she is sniffy to sort of taste the smell... though i have to really watch to make sure she is eating the smelly thing. She might also be doing it because her mouth is dry. She might be dehydrated. Also check her teeth - make sure they aren't infected and try brushing them before bed.

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Pete licks his lips and makes some smacking sounds when he's totally contented, curled up in bed, and ready to go to sleep. It's his maximum level of happy. I thought it might be something left over from puppyhood and nursing. Y'know, the best of times.

He doesn't do it for two minutes, it's more like 10 - 15 seconds, but he's feeling good. I bet your girl is the same.

He doesn't do it for two minutes, it's more like 10 - 15 seconds, but he's feeling good. I bet your girl is the same.

This is probably it, cause all the other things don't really apply to her.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Lila does this too when she is settling into bed or getting pets. I thought it was tongue flicking at first and that she was worried or upset about something. But this is different, it is a good thing.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Claire does it when I tuck the blanket around her at night. My beloved lab, Chaka, did it when we went to bed as did my first dog, Tina. I associate it with them being extremely content.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I think it's just a "settling down" sound...all of mine do it when they finally get themselves situated just right for a nap or bedtime.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)