Squee! Make Friends With A Butcher If You Can!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

I've had a friendly work relationship with a local butcher for several years. Mostly through my boss as the two of them do local radio spots together from time to time. He comes to our office holiday party and my boss and I got to make sausages at his shop once.

I got my grubby little hands on a lot of deer this year. I butcher my own, well the ones I'm given since I'm not a hunter. Now that I have Jayne I save back the meat that is too full of connective tissue for people to want (gives it a gamy taste) rib meat, neck meat etc. as well as some bones. After reading on here about people giving their dogs dehydrated cow tracheas, I decided to save and dry those too. I stuck three on the dehydrator last night and this morning they were lovely and dried to a crisp. I gave Jayne one and it was a hit. It took her several minutes of chewing to get through it.

Where is all that going? Well, today I was looking for jerky seasoning at the butcher shop. I didn't think my friend was in because he usually spends the afternoons at his other location. But he was there and I asked him what he does with the tracheas from the deer that he processes for people. He said he just threw them out and when I asked if he would save some back for me, he agreed to do it!

Guest Stripeyfan

It's greyt to have a friendly butcher! Ours is a real nice guy - no freebies, but as Kelly's on a permanent chicken and rice diet he does us big boxes of chicken at half the price we'd have to pay at the supermarket. Don't know what we'd do without him!