Another Possible Fx

Guest tysmom

this morning I let Buck out to pee. He still has the bandage from the open area's on his back leg, but I noticed he is even more lame

i

then i saw him holding his front foot up on the same side. This foot has an amputated toe because of a crushed toe and he has always been a bit gimpy

because of it. I looked at the foot and it is swollen now just like the back foot was. I suspect he has another fx. Maybe from putting so much weight for so long on the already

messed up foot??

I'm guessing. I',m also very heart sick for this boy. what is going on??

He's a blood donor dog so he's had extensive blood work done every year . Could he be lacking in some bone strengthening supplement? I dont know what to do for him?

As a Nurse, it kinda makes sense that the stress from the back foot fx could cause another stress fx in the front foot that is already weakened..

any comments greatly appreciated.

deb

Your analysis seems reasonable, Deb. Wish I had more to offer. One of our dogs had a dropped thigh muscle (gracilis) in his right leg, and soon developed a sprain in his left ankle. I was told that was a common sequence. Now his left hip is actually dropping, making it appear that his right hip is rising; the ileum is higher on the right than the left. His rehab vet thinks that this hip thing is also a long-term result of the original gracilis drop, and it's four years after the fact. So, yes, I'd think Buck could have if not a fx, at least some sort of compensation injury to that foot. Keep us posted, okay? Hope you and Buck get it sorted soon.

:bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

thanks guys. we see the vet at 5:30.

He's a mess he's shaking so bad trying to walk its breaking my heart. If I try to take him out he wont go he just wants back in to lay down.

His front paw hurts so much he's keeping that one up and walking on the back one if he has to.

What do you do with a dog with two bad feet on the same side?

this isnt good,

deb

Hoping for the best for Buck.:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Adrianne

this isnt good,

deb

No advice, just :grouphug . I've been there, and I know what you're feeling right now. You just do the best you can day by day.

How is Buck feeling today? :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

thanks guys. we see the vet at 5:30.

He's a mess he's shaking so bad trying to walk its breaking my heart. If I try to take him out he wont go he just wants back in to lay down.

His front paw hurts so much he's keeping that one up and walking on the back one if he has to.

this isnt good,

deb

This just makes me feel awful for him and you both. I hope the vet was able to give him something for the pain. Maybe some kind of support harness that fits under the belly would help you with getting him up at least to relieve himself, until the foot heals. Sending your boy lots of white light.