Winter Is Taking A Toll On Sparks Already

Wonder

Guest bigorangedog

BTW - I have Dr Meg's home and cell numbers if you need to talk with someone over the long weekend. No need to go to e-vet. Meg doesn't mind if I call them (or at least she doesn't mind TOO much!). :blush Call us if you need us. Best shot is email or Lloyd's cell 651-245-2861. We are home except for a few hrs on Thursday afternoon, if you need somebody to watch him for a while.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww man, you all have me in tears. I have felt so damn alone.

2 people from my group are bringing him food: turkey and natural balance meat rolls. That helps a huge amount!

All answer all the questions but first the update from the vet.

He did reinjure his back but it was his right leg that he wouldn't use.

He actually walked into the exam room where I was waiting! Stinker!

It was his left leg that he wasn't using before so I think he did hurt his right side when he fell this morning and last night while trying to get up from the bed.

He's on pred and tram until Monday and then I'll start weaning him off the pred. I have to call my vet daily with updates. I love my vet but yes it's great to have another person to talk to since he's not big on chiro or accupuncture but again he knows I don't have a job and it's spendy.

I've put a crib matress down now instead of the costco bed. I hope that it's firmer for him to use.

I got 3 books at the library on herbal crap and I'll figure out what I can add.

I'll answer questions in a bit- food delivery now

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest bigorangedog

If you need some big rugs, I can bring over the rugs we put down on the Petsmart floor for Meet n Greets. Kiddo #1 has an MRI in the morning in St Paul, but I could deliver anything you need in the afternoon. Just say the word.

I called my vet last night since I'm almost ouf of pred and I need to ask if I can give him Dermax. I have a few 25mg pills on hand.

No Deramaxx with pred. Need to leave a couple "dry" days in between the two.

Any swelling in the leg he isn't using, or the hip?

Praying hard that he bounces back for you. Some nonskid rugs in his area could help a lot.

No swelling that I can see. I am going to apply some epsom wash clothes after I post .

Just put down a rug next to the crib matress. And there's runners all over now.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

They used - Plasti Dip by Performix. Said you can buy it at any big box store.

Thank you. I'll check into it.

If you need some big rugs, I can bring over the rugs we put down on the Petsmart floor for Meet n Greets. Kiddo #1 has an MRI in the morning in St Paul, but I could deliver anything you need in the afternoon. Just say the word.

I'm good on rugs- thank you though. I remembered that I have 2 area rugs upstairs and 1 in the garage that I can use.

Praying he's feeling better soon.

Thank you Karen

I'll look and see what meds I have from the dogs. I know I have MSM glucosamine chondroitin for large dogs that I got for Sunscreen, but he hardly used any before he died. Do you want those?

That would be awesome Tami- thanks

Are you up this way at all or want to drop in the mail?

Oh Kari, I wish I were closer so I could offer more than advice and hugs :(

Do you have stairs out your front door? If not, could you walk him out front to do his business with a harness on?

No the front isn't easy to get out.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest bigorangedog

Posted this on FB, but in case you're only reading here...

I have about a half-bottle of 20mg Pred if you want it. I also have a big ol' container of Springtime Longevity supplement if you want that. I was giving it to my tripawds in their "cancer diets." Other meds you need? I have a mini pharmacy here.

Lloyd would be happy to help you build a ramp down your back stairs if you would like him to. He is off tomorrow through Sunday. (Although have Sunny's MRI tomorrow morning.)

I just got a script for pred and picking up tomorrow at Walmart for $10 :yay

I also have longevity so I'm set

The only thing I need to get is milk thistle and maybe yucca

I do have a ramp but he won't use it

Thanks again Jen

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest bigorangedog

I do have a ramp but he won't use it

I've had this trouble with mine as well. What's your ramp like? We finally got ours to use a ramp by making it really solid and just like part of the regular floor. Ours is as wide as the stairs (not a little narrow plank, like the car ramps), doesn't budge at all when you walk on it, and is carpeted with outdoor heavily-textured carpet. Now they have no problem using it, even in the first days post-amp.

Another option might be to build your stairs way out so that each step has a "landing" that he can get all 4 of his feet on, if you know what I mean. We did this off our living rm sliding door for Apollo in his last days, when he could no longer make it all the way across the living room and out the kennel door to the dog yard. He was able to use those stairs. Carpeted those too.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But if you do have any desire to modify your stairs and want help, Lloyd is at your disposal! :lol

Hope you have a peaceful night!!!

Guest spaztastic_fam

Poor baby! :( Our thoughts are with you. I wish I had some more ideas for you but everything I could think of was already covered. Hang in there Sparks!

Lots of prayers for Sparks....and don't feel guilty!

I am a fan of the sling concept. You could even do it in conjunction with the harness....two hands - it will be tough for you to balance, but it does help them to have some support on the back half of their body......A sweatshirt - or even a bath towel work well.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Last night he let me sleep from 1-4am, then he was restless the rest of the night so I didn't sleep. I was able to nap from 7:30-9am though.

He's doing better, eating well, walking better but is pretty stiff when he first gets up (understandable).

He has not fallen once with his new bed but then sneaks into the other room to use the old beds and then I hear thunk! Those beds are now put where he can't get to them.

I'm at work now until 11pm (yawn) and I asked my mom to go over and watch him. I begged her NOT to allow him outside because it's supposed to snow/rain tonight and I don't want him falling again. I have a spot in the house for him to potty and that's where he usually goes when he can't hold it while I'm at work.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Hugs and prayers for Sparks.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead