Winter Is Taking A Toll On Sparks Already

Wonder

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, Kari :grouphug I've put rubber backed mats on icy decks, which seems to help.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I saw something on the web--little no slip grips that stick right to your dog's pads!

At the time, I thought it was stupid, but...

I can't remember where I saw them, but I'm sure if you Google "non slip paw treads" or something you could find them. Might be worth a try?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest bigorangedog

Just seeing this, Kari. I'm so sorry you guys are going through this.

If you ever need to bring him here (so you can get out, or whatever), PLEASE feel free. We have one step, and then later one more step, to get from inside to outside. I was set up for tripawds, so we are pretty well old-guy-proofed here. We don't have slick places, and I would give him his choice of the best beds. ;)

I can give you a couple harnesses to try if you would like. One I made myself to use after the amps, and the other is a RuffWear harness. You can really get the weight off their legs with those.

I have a crapload of Deramaxx that our vet donated if you need it.

What else....? I assume you've tried depo-medrol shots? I hope the pred will help! Ever tried acupuncture or chiro?

If I can do anything for you, please let me know!! We have a car ramp if you need it. Hell you can HAVE it, we never use it.

Wishing Sparks and you the best.

Thanks Jen. I wish you lived next door. I could use a friend over here.

I'll let you know about the deramax. He's not taking that yet but I'm going to ask tomorrow.

I did get him to eat a bit ago. I hand fed him some meat roll and a little ground turkey back. He was laying on my bed and I put a blanket over him.

Then he about gave me a heart attack. He walked drunkenly into the livingroom just now. I ran up to help him and brought him to the spare room where the patio door is. I had to run to my room to grab the sweatshirt but he peed in the other room. Again, great- I don't want to get him down the stairs. I helped him back to his bed in the living room and helped him lay down. He can't lay down well on his own and allows me to help him (thankgod!). 2 seconds later he was trying to stand up again so I thought maybe he had to poop. We went outside less than graceful. He doesn't seem to like the towel or sweatshirt help and hops more with me using it than with out. He only peed more so I let him walk back to the house and I just held onto the harness. Used the sweatshirt to get him up the stairs again less than graceful. Maybe that just takes practice?

Anyway if anyone has any prednisone they don't need, Sparks will use it. Thanks

What else....? I assume you've tried depo-medrol shots? I hope the pred will help! Ever tried acupuncture or chiro?

I did ask my vet about this last month when this happened and he said he didn't recommend these for him yet. I'll bring it up again but honestly without a job, I can't do any of these. I checked prices last month :(

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest greytbookert

Crap, Kari! I wish I has some useful advice that hasn't already been given. I do have a doggie sling thing that we had for Booker that I could send you, if you'd like... PM me with your address if you want it and I'll get it in the mail today.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
:grouphug I know how hard that is to watch. When Morgan was refusing all food including baby food, I got him to eat Deli sliced roast beef. Morgan didn't like the harness either but we do what we have to do.

Guest Swifthounds

I also use the plant-friendly ice melt stuff, calcium chloride IIRC. Works at way colder temps than the "paw-safe" varieties. I check dogs' feet for any big chunks of it when they come in but have never had a problem with sores etc.

I use this as well. The local hardware/stone supply has it at low cost and in huge bags (I would go broke buying it at Home Depot prices). I usually buy the bags and split between us and my grandmother. I just open the bags and pour/scoop into 5 gallon buckets with lids and keep indoors. We just use a scoop to transfer from the bulk container to a more manageable container for sprinkling.

I put the salt down, wait and then shovel up the ice/snow/slush. Afterwards, I use a stiff push broom to sweep excess water. You can then put down sand or more salt to prevent the refreezing.

For areas of mud that may freeze, straw works wonders.

He only got up twice last night 3:30 and 6:30

He peed on towels at 3:30 but wanted outside at 6:30 where he peed and pooped.

It's still a struggle to use the sling and he cries. But if I pick him up and carry him up the stairs, he screams.

He's also having a hard time getting up. If I know he's going to get up, I can help him but he doesn't let me know and then falls and cracks his hip on the wood floor.

I'm sure he's in a lot of pain just from that.

I called my vet last night since I'm almost ouf of pred and I need to ask if I can give him Dermax. I have a few 25mg pills on hand.

I did get him to eat a can of wet food this morning so that's good.

Crap, Kari! I wish I has some useful advice that hasn't already been given. I do have a doggie sling thing that we had for Booker that I could send you, if you'd like... PM me with your address if you want it and I'll get it in the mail today.

Thank you. I'll try it.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest PhillyPups

Keep as many sweatshirts as you can all around the house where they are easy to grab, or wear one around your waist (tied by sleeves ~ very preppy :rolleyes: ) so you have it there at all times.

Edited by PhillyPups

Pat- yes I do now and I have towels all over the place to grab if he needs to pee.

I'm keeping the harness on him as well

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Bless your heart, Kari. You're very much on my mind today as the Seattle area is covered in an uncharacteristically large amount of snow and temps that aren't going above 20 today. And we've been through the not-eating thing with Spencer and some back problems with both dogs. When you're past the crisis, I hope that acupuncture is a feasible option for Sparks. It makes a huge difference to both our dogs' pain and stability.

I'm so glad to see the support that you have, though I know it's not as good as actually having another person in your house! But for what it's worth, a lot of us seem to be with you in spirit. Hope the vet can offer some help today. Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest bigorangedog

Kari - I am not that far if you need me!! Really, just ask. If you want me to bring over our harnesses or anything else, I am happy to do that. I'll look and see how much prednisone we have leftover from Tobey's thrombocytopenia scare. There's also a doggie massage person who works in the Twin Cities and I remember her fees being very reasonable. She helped Apollo when his back was messed up...

Aha - here it is: Pet Massage We had her come to the house, since Apollo was not doing well.

Is there any way to ramp your back stairs?? If you need some heavy-lifting, I can always send Lloyd over.

Hoping the vet visit goes okay.

I know you trust your vet (and I know Dr Barr is good), but if you do want another set of eyes to look at the problem, my vet would happily give you a phone consult. Call her TODAY though before the holiday!! Dr Meaghan - 651-257-4030. She's had greyhounds for years.

Hmmm, wondering whether DMSO gel could help? I have that. Talk to Meg. Tell her you're a friend of mine. Wouldn't hurt to get a fresh point of view.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Please let me know how it goes.

I called my vet last night since I'm almost ouf of pred and I need to ask if I can give him Dermax. I have a few 25mg pills on hand.

No Deramaxx with pred. Need to leave a couple "dry" days in between the two.

Any swelling in the leg he isn't using, or the hip?

Praying hard that he bounces back for you. Some nonskid rugs in his area could help a lot.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We got hit with an ice storm this weekend. It was awful!

I dreaded taking Sparks out because of his bad back and being so wobbly walking.

Saturday night when I got home from work- I took Sparks out first and kept the others in the bedroom.

I put towels down on the patio stairs and patio- we did those without a problem (me holding on to his collar).

He walked to his pee spot just fine- then crossed over the sidewalk and slipped. I was still holding him but he hurt his back anyway.

I feel horrible- the worst mom ever. He's hardly wanted to eat the last few days. I started him back on tramadol.

He was hopping a bit walking but walking ok yesterday'last night.

This morning it was still slick. I was helping him down the stairs and one of the dogs pushed open the door (I had them closed in the other room) and ran out side. He ran right into me and Sparks on the stairs. Sparks didn't fall but he spun around and landed on the bottom stair :(

Now this afternoon he can't use his left, rear leg. I called the vet and I'm starting him back on pred.

If he can't walk after 24 hrs, I have to take him in. I don't know what good that will do. We know what the problem is, his back. Other than giving him a shot, I don't see what else they can do. The getting him to the vet will be super stresful on him and I can't get him into my car very easily.

Winter sucks

Please keep my Sparks in your thoughts.

I have to get him to eat something and right now the only thing he will eat is those meat rolls. I even cooked him turkey last night which he refused and refused again this morning :(

They have suitcase-type harnesses you can put on him. We found them at PetsMart. There is a handle on the back that you hold like a suitcase and gives you much better control than a towel.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

One of our adopters had a senior boy who had a really weak back end. They live in an older house with hardwood floors, which caused him lots of problems.

She's a contractor so she figured out she could use a product made to re-coat plier handles, etc.

She got the MSDS sheet and checked with her vet (who is a holistic as well as western medicine vet) and she OK'd it as being safe.

They used - Plasti Dip by Performix. Said you can buy it at any big box store.

They brushed it on about every 7-10 days, and it needs about 20-30 minutes to dry.

I think they even used popsicle sticks to apply it. She said it's a bit messy so she needed to put towels down and

also hold the pads a bit apart as it dries.

They said it did wonders for him on the floors. He felt secure and they even got rid of all the throw rugs. I think he was about 14-15 and had LS.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

How did it go at the vet?

After reading your posts, I had a couple of thoughts:

1) It sounds like some of the trouble is that you are having to get to Sparks before he starts getting up. Are you limiting his access to the house, so that he *has* to be in the same room as you at all times? Can you put everything you need into *one* room, and then just camp out there with him until the medications help him out? If you crate him or put up an x-pen, will that encourage him to lie still?

2) You seem very stressed. :blush Obviously, Sparks probably isn't eating much if he is in pain, but he may also not be eating b/c you are stressed out, so he is stressed out, maybe confused about why all this new food is showing up.

I know our instincts lead us to fuss, and hand feed, and coddle them when they aren't well! But change is stressful for most dogs, even if it seems like "positive" change. Maybe just put some tasty, easy to swallow food within easy reach, and just leave it for him as close to his usual feeding schedule.

Let us know how it goes!

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Any updates on the vet visit?

I do think a second opinion is always a good idea, especially if you have someone who will do a phone consult. Hope everything is okay. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh Kari, I wish I were closer so I could offer more than advice and hugs :(

Do you have stairs out your front door? If not, could you walk him out front to do his business with a harness on?

Sounds like your meat roll is working pretty well...mashed potatoes or elbow macaroni are also really cheap things you can make to feed him, probably along with some sort of meat so he's getting some protein.

Is he slipping on the floor, or is he just slipping on the floor because he's struggling to stand up? This was a problem for Sutra...I always kept his toenails as short as possible, and I bought a couple of runner length rugs with rubber backing to give him a pathway to walk on. I also bought that rubbery stuff that comes in rolls (for drawers and stuff) and put it underneath all of the dog beds so they wouldn't slip out from under him when he pushed against them to help him stand up.

I wish Sparks would let you carry him, though with ice it's also a gamble for you to be carrying him up and down the stairs - we don't need you hurting yourself too!

Winter sucks and I know if Sutra were still here we'd probably be having a lot of the same issues :nod:(

See if your vet will prescribe some Robaxin (methocarbamol) for him. I got it filled at Target for Sutra and I don't remember it being very expensive. He can take that with prednisone OR with deramaxx or tramadol (just don't give Prednisone with Deramaxx). It's a muscle relaxer and REALLY makes a difference for a hurt back, especially when used with prednisone. You can use tramadol along with prednisone to help with his pain...so a combination of tramadol, pred, and robaxin would hopefully give him some relief as long as he can stay away from re-injuring himself.

Also, you posted earlier in the thread about ice vs. heat. I prefer to alternate - ice first, then heating pad. Wait 30 minutes and repeat. Think of the Icy Hot commercial - Icy to dull the pain, hot to relax it away. Ice aids in reducing inflammation, while heat promotes blood circulation.

Thinking of you guys :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'll look and see what meds I have from the dogs. I know I have MSM glucosamine chondroitin for large dogs that I got for Sunscreen, but he hardly used any before he died. Do you want those?

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)