Winter Is Taking A Toll On Sparks Already

Wonder

We got hit with an ice storm this weekend. It was awful!

I dreaded taking Sparks out because of his bad back and being so wobbly walking.

Saturday night when I got home from work- I took Sparks out first and kept the others in the bedroom.

I put towels down on the patio stairs and patio- we did those without a problem (me holding on to his collar).

He walked to his pee spot just fine- then crossed over the sidewalk and slipped. I was still holding him but he hurt his back anyway.

I feel horrible- the worst mom ever. He's hardly wanted to eat the last few days. I started him back on tramadol.

He was hopping a bit walking but walking ok yesterday'last night.

This morning it was still slick. I was helping him down the stairs and one of the dogs pushed open the door (I had them closed in the other room) and ran out side. He ran right into me and Sparks on the stairs. Sparks didn't fall but he spun around and landed on the bottom stair :(

Now this afternoon he can't use his left, rear leg. I called the vet and I'm starting him back on pred.

If he can't walk after 24 hrs, I have to take him in. I don't know what good that will do. We know what the problem is, his back. Other than giving him a shot, I don't see what else they can do. The getting him to the vet will be super stresful on him and I can't get him into my car very easily.

Winter sucks

Please keep my Sparks in your thoughts.

I have to get him to eat something and right now the only thing he will eat is those meat rolls. I even cooked him turkey last night which he refused and refused again this morning :(

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

I found with the older ones a sling (sweatshirt works, as the sleeves are easy to hold onto than a bulky towel, and the fabric is soft) under the belly till he gets on solid ground. Another thought, kitty litter on the slick icy spots will melt it, easier than salt on the feet.

I used a harness to help my tripod who had LS. Ice was the toughest thing though.

That was what I was thinking. Sorry Sparks is having a hard time, back issues are never easy on these pups. I hope the meds help soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Instead of using the salt to melt the ice,, we all know how awful that stuff is on their feet!!

I purchased tubes of sand,, usually guys with small trucks will buy them to put in the back for added weight.. well the sand is PERFECT to stop the slipping on ice!

spread it out ,, thin (or thick) coating on the sidewalk where ever it's icy,,

you'll want towels at the door to wipe feet, otherwise you will have sand all over the house...

But ~ this works!! i do this all winter!!!

I hope Sparks feels better soon,,

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

:bighug Poor Sparks. I have no advice, everything I did for Sugar's bad back you have tried, or can't do for him. Will he drink Ensure? Eat baby food?

I tried the baby food last night and he refused it. He used to eat it but even the turkey that he was eating a few days ago, he's refusing.

I just got him to drink water and eat some meat roll. Then we went out potty and now he's resting again.

I used a harness to help my tripod who had LS. Ice was the toughest thing though.

Just put a harness on him and it did help- thanks

I found with the older ones a sling (sweatshirt works, as the sleeves are easy to hold onto than a bulky towel, and the fabric is soft) under the belly till he gets on solid ground. Another thought, kitty litter on the slick icy spots will melt it, easier than salt on the feet.

I'll try the sweatshirt- thanks, didn't think of that

I'm just sitting here in tears.

I'll try to get some sand but I don't want to leave him alone

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest FreddyGirl

If you can not get out for sand, can a friend or neighbor pick up cheap, NON scoopable kitty litter for you? Don't use scoopable as it solidifies when wet and we would not want this to happen on his feet. Another thought, do you have a roll of rubber kitchen cabinet liner? I use this type of material under the area rugs to prevent slippage.

Sending white light that your baby feels better soon. It is so challenging when they start having trouble walking.

Edited to add:

When Bobbi snubbed all dog food, I would give her greek yogurt with applesauce mixed in, canned chunk chicken, as many dog biscuits as she wanted. Just a few things that worked with her.

Edited by FreddyGirl

If/when you can get some, the tube sand is awesome. It's coarser than regular sand (play sand, for example, is worse than useless). I keep a big bucket of tube sand inside, where it gets nice and warm, which makes it stick to the ice better when you need to spread it.

I also use the plant-friendly ice melt stuff, calcium chloride IIRC. Works at way colder temps than the "paw-safe" varieties. I check dogs' feet for any big chunks of it when they come in but have never had a problem with sores etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sparks doesn't turn down the treats, that's for sure :lol

I'm hoping he doesn't want to go out for a few more hours. It really takes a lot of of him (and me) getting him out there.

Guess I need to start thinking about quality of life......

Course this was my fault so the guilt isn't helping

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest PhillyPups

Do you have a deck? Can he go there? Sparks is young.

If you are looking for a guilt trip, change travel agents, and look at solutions for Sparks.

Do you have a deck? Can he go there? Sparks is young.

If you are looking for a guilt trip, change travel agents, and look at solutions for Sparks.

No deck, just 4 steps down

He can pee in the house but he won't unless I'm at work and he can't hold it.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest kelli123

Throw a big blanket down the steps and another on the side walk. and then bring it back in when you are done so it don't get all wet. Hoping he feels better soon.

Throw a big blanket down the steps and another on the side walk. and then bring it back in when you are done so it don't get all wet. Hoping he feels better soon.

I did that this weekend but it was too slippery still. So I used towels and those didn't move at all.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest kelli123

Oh Then you are going to have to use the sand. do you have snow?

If so you can throw some snow on the ice and this will help the slipperiness if you cant get anything else tonight.

If the ice isn't to thick start boiling up some water and start pouring it on the ice and melt it. At least on the steps As long as its not still freezing rain . Good luck Hun

Oh Then you are going to have to use the sand. do you have snow?

If so you can throw some snow on the ice and this will help the slipperiness if you cant get anything else tonight.

If the ice isn't to thick start boiling up some water and start pouring it on the ice and melt it. At least on the steps As long as its not still freezing rain . Good luck Hun

No snow- it all melted

Thank you everyone. As you can see I'm feeling pretty worthless and the worst hound mom ever. I'll get over and learn from my errors but the suggestions really help.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

He just had a really bad fall.

I got up to get a sweatshirt ready and he tried to get up on his own. I heard him struggling and fall down so I ran back to help him. He fell hard on his good side (hip) and it was a loud thunk on the wood floor. :(

Then he started peeing so the good news is, I don't have to try to get him outside now.

Should I ice or put heat on his hip now?

He's not scheduled to get a tramadol or pred until 11pm but I'm sure he's really going to be hurting.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17