Chevy's Corn

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Chevy came to us with a limp in his front right leg; we knew it beforehand and didn't care. We figured whatever it was, we'd deal with it. Turns out, it's a corn. I've never dealt with corns before, so the first thing I did was take him to the vet, but my not-grey-savvy vet wanted to put him under anesthesia to remove it....even though I showed him the step-by-step-with-pictures instructions on hulling. Well, putting him under was just unacceptable to me, so I read every thread here on GT and sought advice from several people who have dealt with corns.

I started out with duct tape and wart remover. Every day I'd change the tape, and every couple of days I'd slather all his paw pads with Bag Balm. The tape seemed to make a big difference in pulling the corn above the paw pad, and I decided today was the day. I took off the tape, covered the pad in Bag Balm, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. It was nice and soft by then. Then I took a small, straight-edged scalpel and carefully began separating the corn from the pad. I didn't know if I'd be able to do it, but I did it. Once it was separated, I put more Bag Balm on it and just used my fingernails to slowly and gently lift the corn by twisting it back & forth. Very slowly at first, but more quickly the looser it got. I'd twist and lift, twist and lift. Right before it popped out, it felt like a loose tooth hanging by a thread. Took about 20 minutes total from the time I started with the scalpel.

I am so pleased and proud that I did it. I know I could have done it with Wilbur and probably Larry too, but Chevy is still new, and I didn't know how he'd react. He slept through the entire procedure. Yeah, Mr. Vet, he really needs to be under anesthesia to do this. What a good boy he is!

I know the chances of the corn coming back are good, but I know now that I can do this. I do have him a TheraPaw boot ordered, and we'll just do what we have to do.

I am so thankful for all the good advice that's available on this site. Once again, the experience of others had proved invaluable to one of my dogs.

Guest Adrianne

Greyt job. I am doing the same thing for Jiro's corns and am really hoping that it works.

Good luck. They really seem to be painful.

I know I read on here that some people found they were peeling off layers of the corn when they would remove the tape, but that wasn't my experience. And it never started separating from the pad on its own. The Bag Balm on it today seemed to make it much easier to separate it. I've picked at it a little each time I changed the tape, but the pad was so dry and I could tell I wasn't doing anything.

Good for you. Maddie has one, I had the vet one it once and then came to GT for advice. wWe have been we have using the cream from Murray's Apothecary that several GTers have been using with their greys and it does the same thing that i am able to get it out. However, Maddie is not as calm as Chevy is, she pulls her foot back and I totally understand why.

Amy & Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest TeddysMom

I used my fingernail last night and got a little off one of Jiro's corns but his are so bad and there are so many that I think it is going to take a long time and a lot of patience. I just feel so sorry for him hobbling around, I know it has to be painful.

:yay :yay :yay Wow! Congrats, Mom! You did it! Chevy has no idea how lucky he is to have a Mom like you! I wonder if that specially formulated corn cream would make a difference in recurrence.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Garry had to have a toe removed because the corn was so big...hulled many times at vet. when he developed a small one on his other foot, i got a little nervous! But, I also was able to get it out myself! I kept softening it with bag balm, eventually was able to loosen it with fingernail, then got a small cuticle trimmer and was able to pull it out! He was not too happy....but he is now! It appears to have closed up nicely and I am watching it to see if it begins to re-appear.

Guest IrskasMom

Adrianne , we want to see more Pictures of this sweet Boy Chevy. :digicam And to , you maybe in for a search of a New Vet that is Greysavvy .Kudos to you and Chevy :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug