New Dog Doesn't Like To Go Potty Outside!

Guest tycho302

Guest tycho302

We adopted Tycho a little over a week ago. At first we had issues w/ him eating due to stress but we finally worked out those kinks. We are now having issues with potty training. He was never fostered and was at the kennel for over 7 months. He has messed in the house a few times. Two days ago my husband took him out 3 times, then within 5 minutes of being inside he peed. Yesterday I took him out and he didnt go and then put him in his crate. He escaped his crate (my fault) and pooped in the living room. The past day we've been using the bellyband in the house. I have treats ready to reward him as soon as he goes to the bathroom outside but I don't know how to get him to that point! PLEASE HELP!!!

-We took him to the vet and he has hookworms. We gave him the medicine this morning. Has anyone heard of that affecting training?

Thank you!!

Edited by tycho302

Guest Swifthounds

What type of house training are you doing with him?

Honestly, I find that the dogs straight from the kennel or track are easier to train in most things than the fostered dogs.

With hooks, make sure your vet treats aggressively. They can be difficult to get rid of if you don't.

Guest zombrie

Is it cold where you are and are you putting a coat on him? Some hate the cold and do not like going outside in these cold months and want to go back in the house ASAP

Do you let him outside, see him pee and come right back in? With my new boy Doolin, we make him stay outside for a long time because when he pees, he doesn't let it all out because he wants to go in different spots. And when we're out there for awhile he'll be like "oh, while I'm out here I might as well poop"

And is he peeing in the house, or marking? Doolin has learned fairly quickly to not mark in the house with the huge help of the belly band and if we catch him lifting his leg, a sharp AH AH! interrupts him and he walks away.

Just some thoughts :)

ETA When I have a new one, especially a male (because of marking) I make them stay out until they go so they get the idea that's what they do when they go outside (unless it's very obvious they do not need to go)

Do you have a routine for letting him out, or is he going out at different times?

ETA again, Doolin also has hook worms. It does not affect the training at all but the meds gave Doolin the runs so maybe for a couple of days let him out more frequently if Tycho has the same reaction to the meds

Edited by zombrie

Guest tycho302

We have a set routine of feeding/taking him out.

We were taking him for walks around the block and because its getting colder we didn't want him to get used to that for the snowy and winter months. We walk him around our yard. We've tried to hold out and wait until he goes until he goes but we've stayed out up to an hour walking him. He stares at everything going on around him.

It seems like he holds his pee until he can't hold it anymore and then goes wherever he is. It doesn't seem like marking to me. We haven't had that issue with him (yet). He ate last night around 430 and still hasn't gone poop. We took him to the vet and she said he is fine. Just has to get used to going in our yard.

Guest zombrie

We have a set routine of feeding/taking him out.

We were taking him for walks around the block and because its getting colder we didn't want him to get used to that for the snowy and winter months. We walk him around our yard. We've tried to hold out and wait until he goes until he goes but we've stayed out up to an hour walking him. He stares at everything going on around him.

It seems like he holds his pee until he can't hold it anymore and then goes wherever he is. It doesn't seem like marking to me. We haven't had that issue with him (yet). He ate last night around 430 and still hasn't gone poop. We took him to the vet and she said he is fine. Just has to get used to going in our yard.

Is it possible he doesn't like going on the leash? I had a foster before we fenced part of our yard that would take forever to just pee because he was on the lead. If that's the case, I would try buying a really long leash and over time bringing him closer to you until he is comfortable going to the bathroom while leashed

He'll get it.

Couple tricks:

1. Long leash, as someone mentioned. Some dogs are shy about going on leash. For safety, I play out the leash only when dog is sniffing around and reel it back in when he's done.

2. Take him out to potty. If he doesn't go in a reasonable amount of time (say 20 minutes -- he's new), back inside AND KEEP AN EYE ON HIM. Back outside 5-10 minutes later. Repeat repeat until he goes.

3. For poop, more exercise is better than less, so that walk around the block a few times is a good idea.

When he does go outside, as he is finishing up, have your potty phrase ready (ours is the cumbersome "Go use the bathroom" :lol ), tell potty phrase, "Good boy!" and treat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

Just a thought. Spencer started peeing in his crate and on the floor a couple of months ago. I took a urine sample to the vet on a Monday, nothing showed up. He was still doing it on Wed so I caught a new sample and it showed he had a mild UTI which was making him feel like he had to go and couldn't hold it. You might want to catch a urine sample and have it tested. Good luck.

Guest Stripeyfan

-We took him to the vet and he has hookworms. We gave him the medicine this morning. Has anyone heard of that affecting training?

It could be that the worms are actually causing the problem.... Kelly started having severe GI problems in January, and before we found out they were being caused by worms he was also having pee accidents. Worm larvae can encyst anywhere in the body, including the bladder, which can cause irritation. This might also lead to a UTI (although Kelly was never found to have one of those). My advice is to try a few rounds of wormer (you definitely need more than one, especially with hooks) and see how he is after that.

Good luck!

I have a small yard but my dog much prefers to pee walking on a leash, and only poops on leash (or in a dog park) -- she really needs to move around to poop, and generally wants to find her spot. So we walk, four times a day. That's what works for her, so that's what works for me, even at 40-below wind chill. We'd take long walks or trips to the park twice a day anyway, so it's only a couple of extra times. Sometimes we use the yard when the footing outside is really bad (deep snow/ice). What works for my dog is more important to me than my convenience.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Nuthatch

I like to make sure my dogs have two wees before bed. They are supervised in the front area for a pee, then are taken in the back garden for a supervised pee. If this does not work they go inside and are supervised by inside person. The outside person goes out and has a pee in the garden! Five minutes later back out they go and nine times out of ten they pee, not mark, over the top. I don’t have immediate neighbours – can you tell?

If you have a dark corner it may be worth a go.

Does your neighbourhood have an area where it seems every dog goes to the toilet? We nick named the grass at the entrance to an open space a few minutes from our house “The Field of Sh*ts”. A good stand and sniff around this small area would do the trick - even if the other owners picked up the poop. If not we walked over to the bit of bare earth by the car parking spaces – all the dogs get out of the car and do what they needed to do on the verge. It’s a real pain when all you want to do is let the dog have a comfort stop, clean your teeth and go to bed but it pays off in the end.

Don’t despair, the routine will come!