Scariest Thing That's Ever Happened

Guest Houndstown

Guest Houndstown

So, I thought my dog getting slipping out the front door was my worst nightmare . . . I was wrong. Today the scariest thing that's ever happened in all our years of owning greys happened. We were cleaning up outside getting ready for company this weekend and both dogs were enjoying grazing in the back yard while we worked. We went inside to take a break and left the dogs outside. We had just purchased a new box of fire starter logs since we have a fire pit and like to have fires in the fall/winter months. The box is normally kept in a cabinet outside, but while cleaning we removed items from the cabinet and had not put them back in since we weren't finished cleaning yet. About 15 minutes later I see Pre standing on the back porch eating one of the fire logs. Tera is nowhere to be seen, but I do spot at least three wrappers, empty and strewn in the grass.

My heart sank and thoughts of toxicity ran through my mind. I immediately called the vet and he said to give each a dose of peroxide to induce vomiting, NOW. My heart further sank when I realized we DIDN’T have any peroxide. I ran to both neighbors, the first of which wasn’t home and the second didn’t have any either. I hopped in the truck while Stacey looked up inducing vomiting online. Luckily the general store on the corner had peroxide, and I was back in little time.

We took a syringe and inject both dogs with peroxide. The website said it could take up to 20 minutes to induce vomiting, but luckily it only took a few minutes. They both vomited big chucks of starter log and then food. It was so sad. We hated seeing them like that but also knew it was for their own good. We also couldn’t help but feel guilty-not that we would have ever thought they would have eaten something so strange; they must have tasted like dirt, but still.

It’s been a while and both dogs seem to be doing fine (thank you lord!!). I just have one question at this point . . . how long do you think we should wait before we try to feed them? I don’t want them to vomit any more, but I also don’t want them to go hungry.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Houndstown

Guest StriderDog

I'd wait about 3 or 4 hours before giving them anything other than water. Just to give their stomach a rest. Start with a biscuit and wait 20 minutes. If there's no puke volcano action, then you're in the clear. Maybe only give them half a meal when you do feed them.

Glad to hear that everything is ok now!!

Guest BlueCrab

Yikes! Sorry it happened!

I would hold off on food for a while. In cases of upset tummies we often fast someone for a day or so, so they're not going to starve to death even if you fasted them completely for a meal or two. They might perfect the stink eye the longer you wait, but they're not gonna starve. They'll just make you think they are. I'd start up slow, allowing their tummies and guts time to settle down.

I had to give one of mine peroxide once and believe it or not, once the peroxide was all out, his appetite was fine and he didn't throw up any more. If you feel comfortable doing, wait until dinner time and then see if they will eat. If they're nauseous they won't eat. If they eat, I would imagine they would keep it down with the peroxide out of their system.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Lgyure85

Our Boston chewed up three bottles of pills. It was in the middle of the night,and by the time we woke up he was puking on our bed. I am going in a few minutes to pick him up from the vet, but his kidney and liver numbers are elevated, so he has to get IV fluids for awhile still. He should come out on the other side, but there is still a chance that his liver and/or kidneys will fail. Who would have thought he would chew up pill bottles??

Ugh. I had to do the same thing with Treasure a couple of weeks ago after she ate a package of dark chocolate covered cookies. I waited until the next day to feed her

Our Boston chewed up three bottles of pills. It was in the middle of the night,and by the time we woke up he was puking on our bed. I am going in a few minutes to pick him up from the vet, but his kidney and liver numbers are elevated, so he has to get IV fluids for awhile still. He should come out on the other side, but there is still a chance that his liver and/or kidneys will fail. Who would have thought he would chew up pill bottles??

It happens. My bridge angel Loca got into a bottle of vegetarian vitamins that I forgot that I owned. Exact same situation; IV fluids, elevated values, etc. She ended up being fine, as I hope your dog is, also.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Houndstown

I'm so sorry. I now know how scary it is, but it sounds like you got him to the vet in time. I'm sure everything will be okay. I just don't get why they get into the oddest things. I'll be thinking about you. Be sure to give an update once he's home.

Guest KennelMom

Wow! Glad it all turned out ok! We keep a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide around all the time...even when traveling. It sucks having to give it to your dog, but better than the alternative usually.

We usually give a dog a biscuit or two about 30 minutes afterwards, just to put something in their stomach. Hyd. perox. isn't very long lasting. Think about when you pour it on a wound and it bubbles up in a flash, but is over pretty quick.

holy cow! hope your doggies are feeling better.

hugs to pre and tera and to both of you. very, very scary.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest mirthlesstroll

Very scary!

I came into my living room the other day to find my Swiffer duster minus the fluffy part, 4 prospective Swiffer-eaters lying quietly on beds :blink: and no peroxide! One quick dash to the grocery store later I let Jett out with me, intending to dose 1 at a time to find the culprit(hoping to not have to peroxide them all). Lo and behold, out came the little fluffy duster, so all of the others were spared. Man, was Jett :angryfire:angryfire that I made him :puke .