Rippa Has Gone To The Bridge

Guest 4rooers

Guest 4rooers

Rippa was a little (55 lb) dark brindle girl that started my love for the beautiful breed called greyhound. System Reptile was born on August 11, 2000 out of Rocksteady Eddie and System Pegasus. She was a good racer at JCKC, a big fish in a little pond. While racing she earned a couple of points, and was a kennel favorite. In December 2004 she ran her last race and was placed on a hauler for her next job, as a pet. She came to Star City Greyhounds in Roanoke , VA , and was at the kennel for a little over a year before we met.

In January 2006, I decided I wanted to add a companion to my life. I had just finished a degree in physical therapy, had a good job and felt secure to provide a good home. I started a little research, and discovered a greyhound rescue here. I called Sara (greytlady) and went out to a meet-n-greet in the end of January to see some dogs. Little Rippa was there, missing a chunk of her left ear and a little of her tongue. She was a little intimidating, but Sara thought she might be a good fit. I filled out my application and on February 10, 2006 , Rippa came home.

I was living in a condo at the time and was not prepared for separation anxiety. Luckily for me, after 2 weeks, Rippa settled down, and we started to develop our relationship. In May of that year, I bought a house with a fenced in yard, and Rippa loved having a place to romp and sunbathe. She would lay for hours in the sun, much like I did in my youth.

I started thinking she might like a companion, so back we went to a meet-n-greet. We must have walked 6 or 7 dogs before we found one Rip wouldn’t growl at. Oswald came home with us on Labor Day weekend, and we continued to grow our family with Ozzie, who left in April of this year, Rourke, who came in January of 08, and Elmo, who joined us in July.

My Rippa was one tough little girl, with a Napoleon complex like no other, utterly fearless, and supremely confident. She whipped all my boys into shape, and ruled this house with complete control. There will never be another like her, and I thank God I was blessed to have her for the time I did. This past month has been a roller coaster of emotion, but Rippa remained strong until the very end. When she couldn’t handle the pain, she let me know and I did the only thing I could, let her go so she could be happy and whole once more. In the past week, she had been more affectionate than all the years before, I like to think she was trying to make lots of good memories for me. She didn’t need to, though, because Rippa is unforgettable.

Sweet Rippa, you opened a door on that cold January day when we first met, and because of you, there will always be a greyhound in my home, and I will continue to help find homes for all the others that wait. You leave a legacy of love that cannot be diminished by your death. You mastered all the jobs you were given in this life, now you will only know sunshine and happiness, which you most certainly deserve after a life well lived. I always thought you would live forever, and now I know you will, in my heart.

Wait for me with my dear Ozzie, sweet girl, I’ll be with you when my work here is done.

I love you

I made a tribute to Rippa with some of my favorite pictures. Please watch and celebrate

my best girl.

http://kimlpta.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=kimlpta491983

Wow, a beautiful tribute to a well-loved girl! Now that my waterworks have stopped, I'll join you in celebrating the fact that she had a grand life with you and you with her. :grouphug:f_pink

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a beautiful tribute to a truly beautiful girl. I'm so sorry flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

A beautiful tribute to a very well cared for girl, she looks so happy, I'm so sorry for your loss, but so glad you have all those happy memories.

Edited by MyCody

Guest PhillyPups

What a beautiful tribute to a most special girl. I could feel your joy in sharing her journey and the pain of her loss, although the loss is physical, they live on forever in our hearts. :bighug

Run with the angels Sweet Rippa you are with the very very best ~

What an amazingly beautiful girl, and a beautiful tribute.

Godspeed, Rippa.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kim,

What has been said already, a beautiful and moving tribute. She was very very special, that is obvious.

Run free Rippa, run free on golden fields... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.