Gabapentin Dosage

Guest azlorenz

Shannon, Neyla is on 200 mg 2x/day. She weighs 60 lbs. I don't believe she's at the max dosage either. The vet said that with Gabapentin generally the only side effect is drowsiness so you can use that as your gauge. I started a similar thread a little while ago, you might find some helpful info there as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Gypsy's on 100 mg. gaba 3 times a day. Also 100 mg. tramadol 3 times a day. Rimadyl once a day. Pepcid AC and probiotics 2 times a day. I have a spreadsheet printed out so I don't get confused. Just talked to the vet yesterday and we're at the max of rimadyl and gaba. If necessary, I can up her tramadel by another 1/2 pill (25 mg) 3 times a day.

Connie

• 1 year later...
Guest GreyGirls

Gabapentin for greyhounds is very similar to people. This is because you need to start them at a low dosage. Your greyhound will get very sick if they start taking a full dose off the bat. Try a small gabapentin dosage and increase slowly until they get up to a beneficial dose.

Gabapentin for greyhounds is very similar to people. This is because you need to start them at a low dosage. Your greyhound will get very sick if they start taking a full dose off the bat. Try a small gabapentin dosage and increase slowly until they get up to a beneficial dose.

Yes start slow. There has been some evidence that greyhounds metabolize gabapentin quicker than previously thought. Therefore, if your schedule allows it, you might want to give less gabapentin more often. In other words, if you get up to 400 mg, instead of doing 200mg twice a day do 100 mg 4 times per day.

Jane

p.s. the info on dosing more frequently is from Dr. Couto at OSU.